Thinking of doin' one

Not quite as drastic as it sounds and won’t be for a while but I would be interested in your thoughts…

Grab a cuppa, think this might be an essay…

I live with my parents, not great for a 27yr old but that’s the way things are nowerdays. Years ago I flew the nest but the relationship broke down so I’ve been back since then (losing her is still something I’ve not quite got over, which might be important in what follows).

Currently, (I think I’ve mentioned this before) I’m with a girl who I care about, am happy spending time with - love even but she’s not the one so soon there’ll be a “it’s not you, it’s me” kinda chat going on. Anyway, I think it’s time I got my life in order and have been doing a fair bit of thinking lately along those lines. I’d like to move out and find the right girl to settle down with and I don’t mind moving anywhere really as long as I like it there. My ex and I had a lot of camping trips in south wales and often talked about moving there; I lived there as a child and still have a sister and her family there. This weekend, My welsh sister and my other sister came to lincoln to have their kids christened, a large number of the welsh lot came too and speaking to them has got me thinking about going back, they’re all very good friends and I enjoy hearing the accent again (strange as that might seem).

I haven’t really got any ties here, the parents are really good about that sort of thing (they’d be ok with me going abroad even), no house, kids, nothing. I also feel that getting away from lincoln may help with getting over the ex but it could work the other way too (I might wish she could’ve come with me). I’m gonna go for my class 1 and have a year or so on them before I go (if I go), anyone know if there’s much work about down that way (newport, cwmbran, gwent area)?

I don’t know what I’m asking really, I just wanted to talk it through with someone so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I think you have to follow your gut instinct and that seems to be to move at the moment. Like just about everyone else on here, I’ve had to weigh up the pros and cons of making a big decison and after all the dithering about and finally making a decision, something came bowling along out of the blue and nothing was what I thought it was going to be. What I’m trying to say is that you don’t know what is going to happen so you may as well do what you want.

As for distance helping with the ex well if you miss someone you miss them wherever you are, you just don’t have the physical locations as a reminder.

Good luck whatever you do.

:smiley: THANKYOU! It’s great to hear from people who really talk sense!

I’m giving myself plenty of time to have a good think about it anyway, I’ll ask in the proffessional driver’s forum about work in the area. Any other thoughts?

i wouldnt be thinking about south wales ith rose coloured specs on because you had some good times there with your ex, as that is what you are trying to get away from.

Tiz a very good point jd, part of the attraction is that I’ve got friends and family there and lived there for 6 years as a kid.
Back then, I liked the place but not the people though I’ve seen the people’s attitude change as I’ve got older.

In some ways, yes - I hope moving away would give me “closure” and you’ve got a good point, saying that though, it’ll be a good year and a half before I go anywhere, things change and I’ve got plenty of time to think things through.

Thanks for your thoughts sofar though, they’re all worth hearing :slight_smile:

If your girl was anything like the one I’m struggling to get over then it doesn’t matter where you are you’re still going to miss her. The only thing you can really do is crack on doing what you like and as time passes the pain will diminish. I envy you your lack of ties, I wanted to get out of Nuneaton maybe, try and get on the RnR but I have my own place and a good steady job so decided against giving it all up, especially as the main reason I wanted to get out was because of my ex.

She was very nearly perfect tofer - she left me over three and a half years ago and I’ve only recently started to notice myself going more than a day occasionally without thinking about it. We’ve all got our own little issues I suppose.

Anyway, I’ve just started things moving with getting my class 1 sorted, and I’ll carry on having a think about it in the mean time. As it happens, just lately class 1 wages around here have dropped to about £1/hr lower than south wales :unamused:

darkseeker:
just lately class 1 wages around here have dropped to about £1/hr lower than south wales :unamused:

maybe so, but i bet there’s a ■■■■ site more work in lincs than in wales. :open_mouth: :bulb: