Thinking of becoming a HGV 1 driver

Hi all, thinking of a career change to HGV 1 but I have no experience only car licence for 30 years and I am 50 years old and was wandering if any these two things would prevent me from getting a job. Thanks

Nothing stopping you pal, you just need to look back through all the past threads where this question has been asked! :wink:

Best of luck! :smiley:

You may need an HGV licence unless you just want to do van or 7.5t work & of course all that goes with it medical cpc theory hpt lessons etc

As long as your licence is reasonanly clean (defo less than 6 points helps) and ideally no accidents in last 3 years really does help.

Then just need around £3000 to get through the theory, medical, CPC, lessons and tests for class 2 then class 1. Just remember you cant jump straight to class 1 anymore.

Some people do prefer age and long driving history for employing, although insurance doesnt seem so convinced…you can get jobs however, just takes some searching. I did it at 41 on class 2 and pretty sure there are several here starting out older than me.

Also remember this is not a brilliant paid job for newbies - £8.50 / hour for class 2 is not unusual although better paying jobs exist. Class 1 usually pays a little more but is harder.

Finally as class 2 is where most start partly due to insurance, it is generally a lot of handballing. Less so with class 1.

trevHCS:
Class 1 usually pays a little more but is harder.

Generally harder technically, not physically. Class 2 work tends to involve more manual labour, multidrop, lugging stuff around. Class 1 work can be found with much less load interaction - pull up onto a bay and let someone else worry about getting the load on/off. It isn’t all that way, of course, supermarket work will involve a lot of cages and there are certainly Class 1 jobs that are very physical. However, as you get on in life you will probably find Class 1 better suited to you.

Getting the hang of driving a vehicle with a bend in it is the big challenge, but it can be done. Good luck!

ORC:
Getting the hang of driving a vehicle with a bend in it is the big challenge, but it can be done. Good luck!

And with practice, that comes pretty quick…
After that, the hardest part is steering the unit the right way in reverse without the trailer! :blush:

Evil8Beezle:

ORC:

And with practice, that comes pretty quick…
After that, the hardest part is steering the unit the right way in reverse without the trailer! :blush:

Also when you jump back in a rigid and forget it don’t bend in the middle :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

blue estate:
Also when you jump back in a rigid and forget it don’t bend in the middle :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

A Rigid? :open_mouth:
The devil’s spawn… :imp:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

Thats you what about the truck lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

Me? :smiley:

I’m as pure & innocent as freshly fallen snow mate! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

Me? :smiley:

I’m as pure & innocent as freshly fallen snow mate! :wink:

After the dog has peed in it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HGV driving is a very broad church: everything from local shop deliveries, either cages unloaded by the supermarket employees/handball by the driver; tipper work, muck away-home every night/bulk agri international; hiab, plant; containers, tankers, car-transporters etc etc etc etc…
Gotta be something to suit all tastes, and all with the same basic qualification. Age (50) shouldn`t be a bar.