Thinking about life off the Island advice please

Hello all

Been driving UK now for about 15yrs but never been over the water and marvel at how you guys find your way about language laws etc etc.

I am looking for a job that takes me abroad do you think or would you recommend it and what tips wopuld you give to someone thinking of looking into it.

Cheers

Dave

Well… I found that int work was not a job but a way of life… In the old days you could have a crack at it and if it didnt suit you stuck to UK work. But now there not many UK firms in the int game… Try it & if its no good come back to UK work… The good thing is that the weather will be brilliant until the middle of November… The trick is to write your own obituaries. Things you have done in life & things you wanted to do… see how it reads. Thats two obits. Spring is here ,stretch your legs and smell the fresh air…( This may be the worst advice I have ever given ) He was a good man & hated cops! Thats my obituary… :laughing:

Kind of Know what you mean Harry I think it maybe the Spring thing that is maiKng me feel restless I am bored with the UK thing at the Mo and looking for something else.

Looking for a bit of a change nowt to loose I am realistic and know the cash won;t be fantastic hours long but I like the lifestyle change thing.

Kids grown up mortgage payed off with redundancy and looking for a few new adventures before it gets too late.

Thanks for the advice H

PS… You won`t get rich but you will have some stories to tell the grandchildren… :laughing:

I only look for jobs that are European now, Coder. No way would I go back to doing purely UK work. For one thing, it drives me crazy just simply using our motorways.
The hours are not as bad as you think. If you can get long haul which is mainly what I do, you’ll find you are only working 11-12 hours a day. If I am taking 3 days to get somewhere then each day is usually broken up into 3 hour driving segments with an hour break between each one. 11 hours or 12 if I am doing a 10 (usually running for the ferry lolol). No, you’re right the pay isn’t great… you can more than likely earn more here in the UK but you’ll work a lot harder for it.
The trick is to get started early (about 2 or 3am), then get parked up early so you can have a wander round whereever you happen to be. I had a wonderful time in Lisbon last Tuesday week especially as it was 30 degrees :smiley: :smiley:

got to agree with the bear except for the daft o`clock starts :open_mouth:
i have done europe now for about 15 yrs and get really peed off with it at times so i get a job in the uk and soon realise why i have to go back abroad , its got so bad now that i have just bought a truck and im going to do spain for a guy i worked for , the hours are better than uk work , the food is great , never a fried breakfast, i just hate the food in the uk , if it isnt fried they cant cook it , and if you take a few alternatve routes the views and routiers you find are fantastic ,
get weekend in lloret and meet up with a few other brits , brilliant :sunglasses:
i really dont know why anyone would do uk after the experiences and good craik on offer across the water :wink:

porkifer:
got to agree with the bear except for the daft o`clock starts :open_mouth:
i have done europe now for about 15 yrs and get really peed off with it at times so i get a job in the uk and soon realise why i have to go back abroad , its got so bad now that i have just bought a truck and im going to do spain for a guy i worked for , the hours are better than uk work , the food is great , never a fried breakfast, i just hate the food in the uk , if it isnt fried they cant cook it , and if you take a few alternatve routes the views and routiers you find are fantastic ,
get weekend in lloret and meet up with a few other brits , brilliant :sunglasses:
i really dont know why anyone would do uk after the experiences and good craik on offer across the water :wink:

Cheers guys

I know this may sound daft but how do you get on with finding you way round and the language problems?

I have a firm near me who do INT but all the gear is left HOOK .

Im on my 30th year doing Internationational, ok, I have had a few better ideas and thought the UK was better.

Its not :stuck_out_tongue:

Beer is beer anywhere in the world :smiley: unless you only want to drink Cerveza or Pivo

At the moment I am as happy as a pig in ■■■ doing what I know best :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Im on my 30th year doing Internationational, ok, I have had a few better ideas and thought the UK was better.

Its not :stuck_out_tongue:

Beer is beer anywhere in the world :smiley: unless you only want to drink Cerveza or Pivo

At the moment I am as happy as a pig in ■■■ doing what I know best :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess Its the comfort Zone thing for me I know the UK so rarely get lost and manage to hit time windows unles the planner has not had his fix :open_mouth:

Is it more time window orientated than UK or less.

i never have problems with time windows because ive never asked if there is one :laughing:
i have only been told what day to get there , is for getting lost , i can do that in any language in europe , jusy stop and ask with a pen and paper in hand and most people draw you a map

just a thought, why not ask to go on a trip with some one you know to have a look

All I ever get told is if I load for Portugal on a Monday then it is expected there late Thursday/Friday morning, Coder!!
Quite often the people we are delivering to appreciate how far the goods have come and don’t quibble about times. Believe it or not, back last year (I mentioned it in a diary I did) down on the Algarve, I had three deliveries all within 100 yards of one another. I told them I would not be there before Saturday morning … so two of the guys came out and tipped me and put it all in one warehouse till Monday!! The amazing thing was that I had to be there before 12 as they were all off to a wedding at midday!!! Could you see an attitude like that in the UK?? I think not.
The language and route finding is never a problem. I usually try and ask a youngster if I am struggling as so many European youngsters speak English as a secong language these days that it is an embarrassment! Certainly teach our kids a thing or two. That said I took an address into the resthouse at Km59 southbound on the N1 because it looked wrong to me. There were only 3 Spanish drivers and a waiter in there. NOT one spoke english but in 10 minutes of “international drivers” language and map drawing, I left with clear directions to where I wanted that were spot on!
If you know you are going to be doing european work, invest in either a damned good satnav or as I do and buy good maps of each country. My ex boss used satnav in Europe and seemed to get on with it well but I could never make it ‘work’ for me