Things are beginning to lookup

After a recent visit to the local JC, they finally might be able to offer some financial assistance with some refresher training due to the fact Ive not driven a lorry for some years… but then they hold it in one hand and want to take it back i.e. they want some form of guarantees of work which I have swiftly pointed out that no agency will commit to that due to the simple fact its ad hoc work…as and when required…

Well only time will tell if they stump up some dosh to help…otherwise my CC will have to take a battering which want to avoid… So whilst things might be looking up I am looking at what working for an agency holds… I’ve always been in full time work with one employer, know the job and where I stand
But this career change is something totally new… so can anyone tell me what your first day on agency like… when you get to the client
what they like,are they accommodating or is it a case of oh agency driver…there’s the unit, here’s your work… now ■■■■ off and see you when its done …

Anyone care to elaborate what your first day on agency was like or generally like…

First day on an agency is an experience like any new job,where do I go who to see?,Bhs in Atherstone was mine shop deliveries oh how fun, (still doing shops now for poundland think I would have learned lol),as long as who you work for know it’s your first day they can’t expect you to get round the same as the regular drivers,think look take your time if in doubt get out and look.
If there are other drivers in the room ask their advice on where you are going chances are they have been there before and will help.
Got to work this morning asked another driver about where I was going he did me a map and I did 1 for him so ask better than “wish I had spoken up this morning can’t find the chuffing place” it’s your first day try and make it as easy as possible.

Jeff.

Every company I have gone to as a agency driver treats you differently from as you describe of here’s the keys that’s your paperwork, to everything you need to know. So expect the worst and anything helpful is a bonus.

Having said that when they tried the here’s keys blah blah blah. I just said that’s it’s my first time working for them can they explain what’s needed as in signatures on paperwork etc, do they want copies of my cards, do they want to download the card? This has reminded those that want/need copies doing and to take their time explaining what they want.

Just don’t leave until your happy and the point mentioned above about asking other drivers, the vast majority will help.

Good luck.

Many companies require agency drivers to pass an assessment before letting them loose with a wagon.

Most of the assessment is about testing you, but if you pass then there is likely to be a bit of orientation, H&S briefing and form-filling to sign saying you’ve been told all the legal stuff etc. That should hopefully give you the basics of how the company/yard works, their rules and what is expected of you. Then it’ll be off with the keys and a running sheet of jobs to do.

I speak with only limited experience, as I’ve only done work for two companies so far. Both treated me in this way though.