Theory Test :(

Took my theory test today and failed on the hazard perception part, got 41 marks, never missed any hazards just clicked at wrong times (suspect too early)

However i Aced the multiple choice getting 60/60

So i ask you guys , how as a driver with 12 years driving experience can i train myself to pass the haz perception test?

also as a side note i feel the haz perception test is a complete waste of time, in real life you wont have a mouse button to click, it’s oh ■■■■ slam on the breaks … and the clips seem to be aimed at new drivers.

CLICKY 1

CLICKY 2

ROG:

acceptme:
Can some one explain the HPT to me and what the point of it is…

Their is NO point to it - 17 year olds treat it as a game to be passed and experience drivers get nothing from it - the DSA is currently reviewing the use of it.
There IS a better way but slightly more expensive and it has issues which would need to be dealt with - that is for the examiner to drive the vehicle under test (or one that belongs to the DSA) and for the trainee to commentate on all hazards seen - it would also allow the examiner to ‘get inside the trainees head’ and see how far ahead they are seeing the hazards.

cheers for the links Rog . seems im not the only one that thinks its a complete waste of time and is beyond a joke

ROG wrote:
acceptme wrote:

Their is NO point to it - 17 year olds treat it as a game to be passed and experience drivers get nothing from it - the DSA is currently reviewing the use of it.
There IS a better way but slightly more expensive and it has issues which would need to be dealt with - that is for the examiner to drive the vehicle under test (or one that belongs to the DSA) and for the trainee to commentate on all hazards seen - it would also allow the examiner to ‘get inside the trainees head’ and see how far ahead they are seeing the hazards.

One possible way to do it is to incorporate some sort of hazard perception into the driving test itself, actually on the road when you take the actual driving test itself

BigJon:

ROG wrote:
acceptme wrote:

One possible way to do it is to incorporate some sort of hazard perception into the driving test itself, actually on the road when you take the actual driving test itself

The only way to do that whilst driving is to commentate and a lot will not be able to do that safely which is why I suggested that the trainee sits in the passenger seat and points out hazards whilst the examiner drives :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hello BigJon, I suggest getting yourself a copy of the Hazard Perception DVD, I got one and it definately improved my ability to click at the right time! The first time I ran through the mock test I was borderline but once I got the hang of sitting back and letting things develop my scores improved a bit. £13 well spent.

[/quote]

The only way to do that whilst driving is to commentate and a lot will not be able to do that safely which is why I suggested that the trainee sits in the passenger seat and points out hazards whilst the examiner drives :exclamation: :exclamation:
[/quote]

Slightly off the subject but relevant, the driving test is currently undergoing some trial changes.
Only for car drivers at the moment but possibly acrosss all tests if it works out.
the trial is being conducted using “live” candidates from AA & BSM schools and they have to drive independantly of the examiner by following direction signs etc.
I can’t tell you how this is progressing as I don’t have that information, but if the candidate makes the grade they pass and the big plus for them is if they don’t its free for them anyway as its a trial.
If and when I hear anything more on this I’ll let you know, hopefully it’ll bear fruit.

The theory test in my opinion it a cynical money making ploy and a load of ■■■■■■■■ to boot!

I must confess, my first attempt at the theory was a waste of £32, 56 for MC and 43 for HP :blush: I was that ■■■■■■ off with myself I studied the DVD religiously went back a week later and got a 54 MC and a 65 HP :laughing:

Don’t know if we can sell stuff on here, but I’ve got the DVD if anyone wants to buy buy buy :smiley:

Sorry to hear that it got you as well BigJon.

Took my theory test yesterday, failed. :frowning:

MCT 59/60
HPT 47/75 (5 x 5 points, 4 x 4 points, 2 x 3 points, 3 x 0 points)

Got stung for ‘inappropriate mouse clicking’ 3 times :open_mouth: . so that was a possible 15 points dropped, and I don’t really know why. I mean, honestly, even if someone were to try and ‘cheat’ once you get zero points the first time you’re not going to keep doing it are you?

I think I’m with most people in thinking that ;

1, It’s a waste of time for both experienced drivers and to a certain extent those learning for the first time, and

2, A way of the government making money whilst ‘tackling’ road safety

Even the guy in the test centre said that he gets a couple of complaints a week.

Haven’t re-booked the test yet, thought it would be a good idea to calm down a bit before I phoned them, after all it’s not the fault of the staff.

Dusty321:
Don’t know if we can sell stuff on here, but I’ve got the DVD if anyone wants to buy buy buy :smiley:

Hi Dusty321, yes mate we can sell stuff on here.:grimacing:

:open_mouth: There’s no easy way to say this but, there’s two ways to go there… :wink:

1. Scroll downwards when you land on the forum main page and a whole world of other forum titles will be revealed :wink:OR

2. Take the easy option and CLICK THIS LINK to go there whilst not scrolling. :laughing:

:bulb: The only problem is that the DVD might prove difficult to shift on account of widespread scrolling allergy. :frowning: :wink:

There’s loads of great stuff on TNUK if only people would scroll… :unamused:

I hope this helps and good luck flogging the DVD. :smiley:

Theory Test #2

Just taken my 2nd test and failed again… :imp:

Hazard Perception part yet again. 49 / 75 … 1 fricking point off it. im fuming atm as the training DVD ive got i was getting a constant 67 / 75 or thereabouts.

i was pretty confident that i got all the hazards. and got 0 clips where i missed the hazard.

The actual theory part ive got down to a T. this time was 59 / 60 questions

Now gotta waqit a few weeks till i can get paid to rebook again. if i dont get it this time im gonna wait till the rules change in august (yes i know theres more questions, but the tests are seperate)

anyone got any tips or pointers as im obviously going wrong somewhere but not quite sure

BigJon:
Theory Test #2

Just taken my 2nd test and failed again… :imp:

Hazard Perception part yet again. 49 / 75 … 1 fricking point off it. im fuming atm as the training DVD ive got i was getting a constant 67 / 75 or thereabouts.

i was pretty confident that i got all the hazards. and got 0 clips where i missed the hazard.

The actual theory part ive got down to a T. this time was 59 / 60 questions

Now gotta waqit a few weeks till i can get paid to rebook again. if i dont get it this time im gonna wait till the rules change in august (yes i know theres more questions, but the tests are seperate)

anyone got any tips or pointers as im obviously going wrong somewhere but not quite sure

Is the training video you are testing yourself on the one issued by the DSA or is it a produced by a someone else .

I suggest depending on the answer you give …get the DSA one

Why because some companies that produce them see the hazrads at slightly differant times. If you get my drift.

Many people have experianced this and have trained them selves to the test.

These companies interpretation of the hazard perception test can be differant to what the DSA are looking for.

Hi BigJon. I sympathise, the HPT was a much harder test for me than the theory. I’ve had a car licence for 27 years so didn’t know anything about any theory tests. I researched it on the internet and bought a practice DVD - not very good to be honest.

I mentioned it to my instructor who gave me the tip that click when you see a hazard starting to develop, then count 1, 2, either you will be able to tell the hazard isn’t developing so don’t need to click again or, if it is developing, click at the count of 2. Then count 1,2,3 and click again then 1,2,3,4 etc. On my HPT I only got to 4 twice before the hazard ended, most of the time I barely got to 3.

What this does is make sure you don’t click too often or too rapidly to get a zero, also it means you aren’t clicking rhythmically and again get a zero, finally, it means you are likely to hit a score of three to five every time, since if your first click is spot on you score five but if its too early you will score four or three. As you probably know, only your highest click counts for each clip anyway.

Hope this helps, it did the trick for me.

If only avoiding an accident was a simple as clicking a mouse button…

The HPT in my opinion is a load of cobblers. Its more about making money than it is a teaching tool. Get the dvd and practice with that. It does help :wink:
I aced the multi choice but just about scraped through the HP. I have met loads of drivers who failed the theory on the HP. Some several times. It does annoy me somewhat.
Did you know the theory test is run on behalf of the government by a private american company? What are companys in business for? Correct getting out pound notes out of our pockets. I want to do my Motorbike test sometime soon. That means shelling out on yet another Theory test and no doubt it will have HPT as well. What a bleeding rip off! It makes me mad ggggrrrrrrr :imp:

The HPT in my opinion is a load of cobblers.

I asked the DSA for some good reports on the HPT from people who had taken it as I had given them many from people who thought as you do - that was 2 months ago and they say they are still ‘looking into my request’ - If they cannot produce positive feedback, then what is the point of it :confused: :confused: :confused: :question: :question:

I think that silence speaks for itself Rog. :wink: Its about time it was binned altogether or replaced by something that will actually benefit the driver.

schrodingers cat:
If only avoiding an accident was a simple as clicking a mouse button…

IT IS :exclamation: :exclamation: - set up 2 web pages - one with pic of a crash and the other with pic of a bed and then put
DO I DRIVE TODAY :question: with the YES linking to the crash page and the NO linking to the bed page :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

… SEE - avoidance from a road crash by the click of of a mouse button :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

dieseldave:

Dusty321:

Hi Dusty321, yes mate we can sell stuff on here.:grimacing:

:open_mouth: There’s no easy way to say this but, there’s two ways to go there… :wink:

1. Scroll downwards when you land on the forum main page and a whole world of other forum titles will be revealed :wink:OR

2. Take the easy option and CLICK THIS LINK to go there whilst not scrolling. :laughing:

:bulb: The only problem is that the DVD might prove difficult to shift on account of widespread scrolling allergy. :frowning: :wink:

There’s loads of great stuff on TNUK if only people would scroll… :unamused:

I hope this helps and good luck flogging the DVD. :smiley:

Ask a silly question…

:laughing:

Cheers Dave!

ROG:
If they cannot produce positive feedback, then what is the point of it

Revenue. Same old these days! :frowning:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you failed your theory test.

Took mine today and passed.

Here are my results:-

Multiple Choice 60/60

HPT :-

Double Hazard 9
6 Clips x 5
5 Clips x 4
1 Clip x 2
1 Clip x 0

I don’t understand why I got zero on 1 clip. The clip was in a really busy town centre with loads of potential hazards!!! Obviously clicked too many times. This then made me very nervous on the next clips. Thought I had really f****d up.

I did buy the DSA DVD. This may have helped me, problem was this only seemed to work properly on the wifes work laptop!!!

Keep your chin up.

Paddy