Theory Test - Hazard Perception

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I have just brought a DSA theory book as have just received my provisonal license and want to start the ball rolling.

This may seem like a silly question - but is the Hazard perception basically the same test as the one for cars but related to LGV??

The reason I ask is that I cant find any related LGV HP cdroms on sale. Im hoping that its the same,as I already have been given a HP disc.

Cheers.

Same as the car one

Yes as far as I know the clips are the same.

Certainly they were when I did mine in March this year, although the number of multiple choice questions has increased to I think 60 since then.

Just concentrate on the clips but don’t click too many times - I just clicked once when I saw the hazard, then once more 1 second later in case the window hadn’t opened at the first click - with this approach I got 65 out of a max of 75, pretty good.

Don’t forget, it’s only moving hazards - according to the DSA, a snow covered road is not a hazard !

gerontius:

Certainly they were when I did mine in March this year, although the number of multiple choice questions has increased to I think 60 since then.

Just concentrate on the clips but don’t click too many times - I just clicked once when I saw the hazard, then once more 1 second later in case the window hadn’t opened at the first click - with this approach I got 65 out of a max of 75, pretty good.

Don’t forget, it’s only moving hazards - according to the DSA, a snow covered road is not a hazard !

Yes, 60 questions now. Scored 58.

Adopted the same sort of strategy on the HPT - scored a more modest 64. Not that I’m impressed though - don’t feel that I got any benefit out of it as it relates to real world driving as I see it. But as it’s with us and here to stay, I would suggest that the OP practises with the few clips the DSA release before actually taking the test. Once you’re happy with your score, you’re ready - well at least I was!

Great stuff - Cheers all for clearing that up!

One more thing- this may be a shot in the dark though. I have been driving a car for 14 months now and took my car theory (which include HP) in June 06.

Would the pass for HP carry over as I have heard that a theory pass is valid for two years?

Cheers again.

No - although the clips are the same, you need to pass both the LGV multiple choice and HPT at one sitting.

HI .i see that you bought the dsa theory book one thing i would say is a must is the dsa theory test pc rom, its exactly the same as your theory test at the centre i used that and got 60 out of 60.best of luck

gerontius:
No - although the clips are the same, you need to pass both the LGV multiple choice and HPT at one sitting.

I did not know that - I suppose it does not happen often - bit daft though, having to do the same test twice when the first is still valid :open_mouth:

AHHHH…was worth a try I suppose.

I have just booked my theory test online for 14th December, gives me plenty of time to prepare.

Will keep you updated, Cheers for all your help.

ROG:

gerontius:

I did not know that - I suppose it does not happen often - bit daft though, having to do the same test twice when the first is still valid :open_mouth:

ROG, gerontius is spot-on mate, it tells you in the film clips on the CD :wink:

WADR, I’d suggest that all instructors see the CD from end to end and have a go at the HPT at least once, just in case you’re in the office when a nervous candidate is making enquiries/bookings. You’d be in a better position to advise/reassure them :wink:

dieseldave:
WADR, I’d suggest that all instructors see the CD from end to end and have a go at the HPT at least once, just in case you’re in the office when a nervous candidate is making enquiries/bookings. You’d be in a better position to advise/reassure them :wink:

Tried loads of times - cant do it - unable to see 3D on a 2d screen unless the image stays still for 5 to 10 seconds so my brain (not eyes) can adjust.
The maddening thing is that I can commentate on all hazards whilst I am driving (car or lorry) but this is not acceptable for the DSA.
IMO it is because the majority of examiners in the DSA cannot do it themselves, unlike the ex/traffic police who examine me.

ROG:
Tried loads of times - cant do it - unable to see 3D on a 2d screen unless the image stays still for 5 to 10 seconds so my brain (not eyes) can adjust.
The maddening thing is that I can commentate on all hazards whilst I am driving (car or lorry) but this is not acceptable for the DSA.
IMO it is because the majority of examiners in the DSA cannot do it themselves, unlike the ex/traffic police who examine me.

I understand and agree ROG. I feel that there are two issues here.
1.) IMHO, the HPT, as it stands, has some shortcomings.
Maybe the DSA have plans to address that.
Maybe the DSA will come up with a HPT more relevant to the drivers of large vehicles, since there’s already a specific theory test for such drivers.

2.) IMHO, it’s a bit of a swizz that you’re not allowed to use more than one method to show that you meet (or exceed) the criteria.
Is this unnecessarily restrictive??

The DSA might look to other DfT appointed examining bodies, then they’d see that there is often more than one way for an instructor to gain approval without any lowering of standards.
Yours seems to be a case in point, so I’d like to ask the DSA one question:
Q1.) Why does it seem to us that driving qualifications from other respected awarding bodies aren’t / can’t be levelled and then mapped across by the DSA :question:

I have a feeling about the answer to #2 already :wink: , but to be fair, let’s see what the DSA guys on here say about it.

I have a file of papers from my MP who contacted the DSA & DfT on my behalf regarding my HPT issue and the general issue of hazard perception - they are intransigent - their way is best and thats the end of it was the outcome.
One argument they lost and it made me laugh was when they said that it MUST be EXACTLY the same for everyone and when I asked if that was the same for the road drive, they went quiet.

ROG:
I have a file of papers from my MP who contacted the DSA & DfT on my behalf regarding my HPT issue and the general issue of hazard perception - they are intransigent - their way is best and thats the end of it was the outcome.
One argument they lost and it made me laugh was when they said that it MUST be EXACTLY the same for everyone and when I asked if that was the same for the road drive, they went quiet.

The file of papers seems to have rendered a decision.
Did they give a reason for having come to that decision??

dieseldave:

ROG:

The file of papers seems to have rendered a decision.

YES - it’s their way or no way, like it or lump it - thats the general gist.

gerontius:

think you could be wrong there mate, its not just moving hazards its any hazard and a snow covered road sure is a hazard :question: :question:

ROG:

dieseldave:

YES - it’s their way or no way, like it or lump it - thats the general gist.

That’s NOT a reason ROG. IMHO, that’s an argument used in a school playground. :smiling_imp:
I’m bigger than you, so I’m taking your gobstoppers-- how childish. :imp:

:unamused: Supposedly, we live in a society that proclaims “open” government and “transparency.” :unamused:

Since they can’t have it both ways, surely my question from above needs an answer:

Why does it seem to us that driving qualifications from other respected awarding bodies aren’t / can’t be levelled and then mapped across by the DSA :question:

My question seeks the reason for the decision, rather than a review of it.
Perhaps the question needs to be asked elsewhere. :wink:

mekong wrote:

“think you could be wrong there mate, its not just moving hazards its any hazard and a snow covered road sure is a hazard”

When taking the hazard perception test you should be looking out for ‘developing hazards’ i.e. a hazard that will develop until it causes you to take action.

There are many hazards and potential hazards on the road that may not be developing, in other words not changing, moving or becoming a greater risk, a snow covered road is without a doubt a hazard but it is not a developing hazard and would not score.

I think that obi-wan has got it right. For example:

• a puddle at the side of the road is a static hazard and/or an environmental hazard => not scorable

• a cyclist is a moving hazard => not scorable

• a cyclist approaching a puddle and very likely to swerve under your wheels to avoid the puddle is a developing hazard => scorable

The question that I haven’t answered to DSA’s satisfaction is just when does the hazard start to develop? In my opinion, it’s pretty early. If you’re half-way awake and aware you can judge pretty early that you and the cyclist might reach the puddle at about the same time. According to DSA training video clip it only starts developing when the cyclist starts to swerve or indicates by some movement that s/he is going to do so.

The person who can identify the precise criteria that decide when a potential hazard becomes a developing hazard and teach it could become a VERY wealthy person.

I totally agree with you shortfatbaldy.

In my experience I have found that experienced drivers are spotting the hazard a lot earlier than the learner drivers that this test was originally developed for.

Therefore the experienced driver is clicking before the scoring window is open.

It is so unfair that the more observant people are being penalised in this way. I think it is time to re-evaluate the usefulness of this test.