Theory + Hazard Perception Tests (Revision Help Needed)

Well, I’m taking the plunge in the next two to three weeks I shall be looking into booking my theory & Hazard perception tests. But I’m struggling to get my head round what to revise on the theory test stuff and if there is any specific stuff I should be looking into like stopping distances, what do such and such signs mean. As you all know it is for my bog standard car license but, I’m wanting to get my theory out of the way as I am going to book a week intensive driving course with my local driving school, with some great ratings so can’t be all bad.

I’m just asking if I should be revising anything specific, although I know its mostly common sense I don’t want to make too many silly mistakes, not only for passing sake but for moneys sake also! Also hazard perception I’ve always had a bit of a bother with it because when i click when i see a hazard I’m not sure if im to click when the hazard changes and when the hazard ends etc! Mind you I won’t be taking the tests until I’ve done some good solid revision but i want to know in advance. And I thought this would be the best place to ask :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :slight_smile:

P.S - Be aware the roads around Knottingley/Selby/Wakefield May not be safe when I am on them :laughing: :laughing: Thanks again :smiley:

I just bought the cd rom…every night before i went to bed i just practiced. found it wasn’t a problem this way.

Best to buy the proper DSA books if you can afford them, maybe cheaper on ebay.

Go through the main book and mark off with a pencil wih subjects that you find that your weak with. You will soon fly through it. Easier than you think.

Hazard perception. Get a DVD of ebay to practice on…HP is more like a computer game in my opinion. Hitting the button at the right times

Thanks for that Mick I didn’t really think of it like that, I have a DSA book here at the moment but it’s from 2008 :open_mouth: Thankfully a mate of mine is giving me his books and dvds he got from the driving school I’m going to be training with :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed I’ll have my theory passed in no time :smiley:

Cheers

What that man Mick said. I used the DSA books (but not the CPC one) for both the theory and module 2 and some third party software for the hazard perception. Worked a treat, all 3 tests passed on the same day. Good luck with your tests Jonny.

You will be ok mate. If you struggling with braking distances etc just make post it notes for yrself. Depends on how yr mind works on taking in input. The 2008 books will be fine John. Respect to you for asking on this website, a good start to being a professional future driver.

Let us know how you get on. Wishing you the best!

I shall do :smiley: Certainly nerve wracking getting onto the road at long last for all the years of waiting. Great feeling though! :smiley:

Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

Cheers

I used drivingtheory4all.co.uk
Found it very good & scored 99/100 for theory and 89/100 for hazard perception

Alot of the theory test is based on common sence. “What are the effects of alcohol?” and suchlike. There are some that require you to know your stuff, such as “what is the minimum tead depth” etc.

I can only say whats already been said. Buy yourself the DSA guide book, and a copy of the highway code. Make sure you read them both, cover to cover at least once.

Also as previously mentioned get yourself some interactive software so you can practise the hazard perception. Thats what I did for my car test.

It’s not really somthing to loose sleep over, I was very surprised how much of it I only needed common sence for. Although I wouldn’t recommend you just wing it. I doubt thats on your mind though judging by your posts. Best of luck with it, although you won’t need any luck if you read those books and keep your nerves in check.

Hiya JonnyTF. Welcome to the forum and good luck with everything.

I have just taken (2.5 hours ago) a cat D Theory test and managed to pass. BUT, one or two of the questions were not in my DSA official book and I now realise that the list of questions changed around about September last year. I have been using the same DSA official book that I bought last year for my cat C tests.
MAKE SURE that your CD ROM and or any books you have will cover the new questions, i.e. valid for tests after September 2011.

Cheers,
LandyLad

AAARRRGH, I have just spotted this in the OP
"As you all know it is for my bog standard car license ".

Sorry, I should have read it fully and not made an assumption that Jonny already has a car license.

JonnyTF I have two pieces of advice for you here.

1. Your car driving Instructor will help you with passing the theory modules Hazard Perception and Multiple choice theory.

2. If you haven’t passed your car test yet, then in my humble opinion it will take you at LEAST a couple of YEARS driving to get the road sense and experience needed by most people to be able to pass a vocational licence test.

What age are you?
How much road experience do you have already?
Have you considered trying for a job involving driving a van for a year or two to gain vocational driving experience?

I hope you do well with your driving lessons and I hope you prove me wrong and pass a vocational test within a few months.
Good Luck,
LandyLad

LandyLad:
AAARRRGH, I have just spotted this in the OP
"As you all know it is for my bog standard car license ".

Sorry, I should have read it fully and not made an assumption that Jonny already has a car license.

JonnyTF I have two pieces of advice for you here.

1. Your car driving Instructor will help you with passing the theory modules Hazard Perception and Multiple choice theory.

2. If you haven’t passed your car test yet, then in my humble opinion it will take you at LEAST a couple of YEARS driving to get the road sense and experience needed by most people to be able to pass a vocational licence test.

What age are you?
How much road experience do you have already?
Have you considered trying for a job involving driving a van for a year or two to gain vocational driving experience?

I hope you do well with your driving lessons and I hope you prove me wrong and pass a vocational test within a few months.
Good Luck,
LandyLad

I’m needing to pass the theory test/hazard perception off my own back first as I will be taking a week intensive driving course which requires me having my theory test already being taken and passed, hence why I’m just asking seeing if there is anything people can advise me to revise which may ‘catch me out’ if not revised properly/thoroughly enough.

And as for the vocational tests, if things go as planned (Which look very promising) I won’t be paying for the training but my new employers will be paying for it for me but that will be if there is no way for me to pay for it myself. As I’m not really wanting to be tied down to a contract saying I have to work for such and such in case it gives them fuel to take advantage and treat one like crap. As for road experience, I don’t really have any as a driver but as a passenger ample, and always try to learn what I can while on the road. The different road signs, how roundabouts work and the common sense stuff really. Even remembering a few long distance routes also, Knottingley to Dunbar. Dunbar to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. I know it doesn’t have any relevence to my driving tests but having a sense of direction also helps! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hopefully I can get my test passed first time, and then move on to the bigger vehicles in due time but not wanting to rush anything! Taking my time, instead of rushing I think is the way to go :slight_smile:

Cheers

I admire your perseverance JTF but I think you would be wise to get some OTR experience first.

It’s a whole new ball game and requires some fundamental lessons that can only be learnt from experience.

Best of luck to you cos I know you will ignore me :smiling_imp:

Thank you mate, :laughing: Although I may initially ignore the ‘don’t go straight onto the trucks’ advice, but I can only say I will be learning as much as possible while I can :slight_smile:

Hopefully it will be put to good use :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Hiya Jonny_T_F,

From what you’ve said I would guess that you have a good head start on anybody else who doesn’t yet have a car license! :smiley:
I also guess that you really do have a good idea of how to approach roundabouts and even about normal driving position etc. in wagons. I think someone like you will end up being a good truck driver when you have passed your cat C etc. You are already highly motivated and will be easy to teach. Believe me I do know what I am talking about here.
I wouldn’t want to try to dissuade you from training for and taking your vocational licences and I think you should get stuck in and go through the process as soon as you can afford to.

So here is my advice on swatting for your theory tests.

The cost of the car theory is about £35. Book it on the internet, you can get dates a week or so in the future quite easily. You will need a credit card or maybe a debit card. Make sure you are CERTAIN of where the theory test centre is located because they are hardly ever at the same place as the driving tests are taken.
Learn your Traffic Signs - there is a booklet you can buy with them all in.
Get a copy of and read cover to cover the DSA Official book -
“Driving The Essential Skills” Just read about 5-6 pages at one time. dip in and out whenever you can without boring yourself.
READ the Highway Code from Cover to Cover, but don’t try to read and learn more than 2 pages at a time. Keep a copy of the Highway code with you all the time and flit into it whenever you get a spare minute or so, but DONT read / learn more than a couple of pages at a time.
Learn Overall Stopping distances OFF BY HEART and split them into Thinking Distance plus actual Stopping distance. I repeat - Learn this off by heart like your times tables. There is no other way really.
Learn the different speed limits for different types of vehicles - off by heart.
This is how I had to do it.
Learn about basic First Aid because the theory test seems to include quite a few questions on this subject and the answers required are mostly AGAINST INITIAL COMMON SENSE! (but they are correct, its just that we wouldnt instinctively do what they suggest)

Practice, practice, practice your multiple choice questions and answers using your CDROM. GET THE LATEST that you can find. Dont use one from a friend if it is more than 3 years old.
Make sure that you are CONSISTENTLY scoring at least 48 correct questions out of 50 BEFORE you take the real test because you will get 4 - 8 questions wrong on the day SIMPLY from NERVES or self doubt!! You need 43 out of 50 to pass.
Make sure that you practice marking some questions for you to go back to and double check your answers. Use nearly all the time available so you are sure that you have FULLY READ and understood the questions. Watch out for the questions which are sneakily asked in the NEGATIVE case , e.g. Which of the following things are not the right thing to do.

Make sure you practice at least 5 dummy hazard perception tests on your computer at home BEFORE you take your real test.
The DSA hazard perception test is POOR as it is based on some little spotty faced undergraduate’s idea of when somebody (like them) would have seen the hazard and clicked, not when a real experienced driver would have seen it and clicked. I once got a score of ZERO because I saw all hazards before the computer thought I would and it ignored my clicks. (I didnt realise that you need to further click as the hazard develops into a near death experience!)
Dont click in a rhythmical fashion and dont click at random.
Just do a couple of dummy runs without really trying too hard and you will soon learn when the computer program behind the test thinks you should click.
Dont think that you have to move and point the mouse on each hazard, you dont need to , you only need to click ANYWHERE on the screen when you think you see a potential hazard and then click about 3 more times if you see the problem actually develop.
Finally, you must pass BOTH the hazard perception AND the multi choice theory test at the same sitting in order to pass and get your certificate.

when you turn up at the theory test centre, YOU MUST HAVE BOTH PARTS of your provisional licence with you.
MAKE SURE that the photo LOOKS LIKE YOU NOW, not 2 or 3 years ago. Last week I actually WITNESSED a candidate being denied his test because the photo wasnt quite enough like him.

At the end of the test, remember to collect your provisional licence on the way out and KEEP the PASS CERTIFICATE SAFE as you will definitely need the number from it to book your driving test and there is a slight chance that the examiner will ask to see it at the start of your driving test.

I’ve said a lot, but I am sure somebody as motivated as you will find the whole thing really easy.
So just get stuck in there and good luck. Keep us all informed on how you are progressing.

regards,
landyLad