Theory Certificate

I passed my theory tests on Thursday and the one thing that got me confused was the letter they hand you when you pass the test. It said something along the lines of within 2 years you will receive a certificate with a number you will need to book the practical test.

2 years for the certificate?, this has to be a misprint? 2 weeks surely?

Presumably there is no point booking any training until I have got this certificate.

Thanks.

You will have two years until the certificate expires, it should come through as soon as they print it

Hi pal - What it says is that you have 2yrs within which to pass both the theory & hazard tests. If you`ve passed both already, your numbered pass certificate should arrive pretty soon. You need this before you can commence your practical tuition/test. Congrats on your progress, & good luck with the rest!

Thanks, seems that the earliest i can get my training and practical test is mid january in south wales anyway.

Just need to clear this up. You can drive as soon as you have your provisional - nothing to do with theory tests. You can take your practical test the day you pass your theory test - albeit highly unlikely.

You do not need the theory certificate for a test - but you would need the letter from the theory test centre if you were taking your practical test very soon after passing your theory. This is because the DSA system wont have been updated to show your theory pass.

But a little advice; dont start your training till you’ve passed your theory tests otherwise you’re probably building in a delay between your driving course and driving test. No point in that.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete.

Hi Pete - Just read your clarification. You are (as always of course!) spot on. It just shows how much vague information is given out even by the overlords. My recent pass score printouts state that the test pass letter to be received by post “will contain the cert. no. you will need when booking your practical test”. Lo and behold, it`s the same number as on the theory pass printout. What a circus!!

All water under the bridge now thankfully, as I have my catC, but everything seems to have an air of not-quite-sorted.

None of this should ever be an issue provided you have selected a proper trainer. You would then have all this taken care of on your behalf and have nothing to worry about - except the training of course!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Passed tests thursday, got the certificate monday morning.