Theory a headache, any advise?

Just started revising for the theory and the book is so thick!!!

dont think im going to remember much of it, took me 5 goes at the car one and i dont want to repeat that this time round.

anyone got any advice for me??

Yeah.

Read the book throughly and you should pass first time.

Just keep reading the book over and over and over and over and over and you get the idea.

Depends what works for you. Best bet it to find a interactive one that will tell you where you are going wrong (which areas you are worst on etc) and concentrate on those.

Yes, I agree that it seems quite daunting at first.

Did you get the interactive DVD from the DSA?

I’m afraid there’s no easy way to do this, because there’s approx 1500 questions that are kept in a “question bank,” the problem is that nobody knows which ones the DSA will give you for your theory test.

The other responses you’ve had to this are spot-on when they say you need to go right through the book.

Now for the good bit! Since I don’t do very much driving now, I had to recycle myself as a freelance instructor. One of the companies that I work for asked me to write a half-day course aimed at the LGV theory test. I wrote a PowerPoint presentation and can honestly say that I trained more than 70 people, who all passed their theory test at the first attempt.

If you get in touch, I might be able to help.

Personally, I got the CD-Rom from the DSA, and just did the mock tests on there ad nauseum. Passed 1st time though.

Ive just received the interactive dvd, and first impressions it seems a lot more interesting than the book! So when i get a few hours i will sit down and have a ganders at it, then i will let you know if it’s worth purchasing as it cost me 30 quid! :open_mouth:

To be honest with you which ever choice you make you have to give it 100%. Put a couple of hours into it every night. On top of that all that is required is common sense as all the questions are multi choice and at least two of the answers are usually so dumb it doesnt take to much to work out.

I used the DSA book and passed mine two weeks ago and start my training next week. Passing a test is a great feeling (whether practical or theory). Once youve finished reading just leave the book on the kitchen table and get your family to give you a couple of random questions every time they pass it. Worked for me, my daughter was trying for days to catch me out.

Good luck and remember 100% - its not worth bothering else !!!
[/b]

Well done with the theory leeb! and good luck with the training side of things.

okay cheers for the advice, ordered the CD ROM of ebay tonight

still continuing to read the book at break times at work too… even with the “what you want to do that for?” remarks from my colleges!!!

Ye the best way is to get the DSA CD with all the questions on. I spent 2-3 hours a day for two weeks and got 59 out 60 last week. Its a lot easier than trying to take in all the info from the book. The good thing about the DSA CD is it tells you your weakest points, tacho, driving, signs, etc. After a week, you should know your weakest subjects, if you get time during your day job learn these subjects from the book.

As for the Hazard Perseption, try and get the Hazard Perception CD, look at all of it a couple days before your test, go over the examples on the CD the day before.

If you do all of the above you will have no problems. :wink:

Couldn’t agree more with everyone’s comments. Passed my theory today after going through the cd-rom for the last four weeks.
Went through every question on every topic, then used the ‘take a customised test’ option to practise two or three topics at a time.
Kept the DSA book in my van for browsing during break times, but definitely found the cd the best way to learn.
Also recommend getting a hazard perception cd to get an idea of what to expect; I found this harder than the multiple choice questions as it is very subjective.
Anyway, good luck, if you work through all the questions you should pass.

Ummmm 2 asprin ought to do it :open_mouth:

I agree will all the others ,i bought the DVD and did the tests over and over again for about 4 weeks , Passed first time with 35 out of 35 , it was in Feb 07 , I found the tests on the dvd harder than the real test even though the layout was exactly the same. i also bought the hazard perception dvd but that wasnt as good as a third party one i also bought called “Driving Test Success Hazard perception” its by Focus and resembled the original test better I thought . Good Luck with the test . PS I notice some training firms Hire the DVDs out , mine did but i chose to buy .

Reef:
Ummmm 2 asprin ought to do it :open_mouth:

:laughing:

Thanks for the advise I did the hazard perception with my car test, couldnt get the hang of it so im out to get the CD asap

I used the DSA Official Theory Test book.

And got all 35 correct :smiling_imp:

Just kept reading and marking down the answers in pencil and going over the incorrect ones untill I got them right.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Actually kettysangel theres something i need your help with
I tend to be a bit of a know it all and i gotta admit with this im a bit stumped…

is wisbech pronounced wisbeck or wisbeach■■? :confused:

BTW the best advice i can offer whether you go for books or cd roms or dvds is to keep at it over and over (i’ll let you into a little insider secret its really easy the hardest thing is overcoming your own nerves)
So deep breath chill and read/watch it again :wink:

Good luck :smiley:

Reef:
Actually kettysangel theres something i need your help with
I tend to be a bit of a know it all and i gotta admit with this im a bit stumped…

is wisbech pronounced wisbeck or wisbeach■■? :confused:

BTW the best advice i can offer whether you go for books or cd roms or dvds is to keep at it over and over (i’ll let you into a little insider secret its really easy the hardest thing is overcoming your own nerves)
So deep breath chill and read/watch it again :wink:

Good luck :smiley:

Wisbeach :slight_smile:

Got the books and the CD ROM’s now, didnt do to well on my first go but thats just the first go, so more practice needed!!

I found that if i spend a few hours looking throught the books, then when you get the that point when you are fed up, just pick up the book for 5 or 10 minutes and have a scan through.

Or put it in the loo. Makes good reading lol

It worked for me :smiley: :smiley:

kettysangel:
Just started revising for the theory and the book is so thick!!!

dont think im going to remember much of it, took me 5 goes at the car one and i dont want to repeat that this time round.

anyone got any advice for me??

Try the money game. Two of you have a pot of cash. The friend asks the questions. For every question you get right they pay you 10p and for every one you get wrong you pay them £1.
If you have a partner/wife/girlfriend you can make this more interesting :wink: