Them reels of paper that don’t need strapping

end of the day you can strap your load follow official guide lines. etc etc.
but if you drive like a loon stamping on the brakes speeding around the bends sooner or later your load will move no matter how good your strapping .

slow and steady wins the race

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

Unrestrained Load and driver prosecuted. [emoji850]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that just about says it all,.and shows up what ‘‘their’’ priorities and real reqsons for all this sudden clampdown are ie fines and money over common sense.
Where tf is that stuff going to go exactly, I’ve carried it many times in the past, is it going to ram through the headboard killing the driver or something? :unamused: , even if the thing rolled it would stay intact ffs.
In fact if that Euroliner is anything like the ones I used to use, it may even have vertical metal sections inside the curtains every 3 or 4 buckles.
Surely there is room for discretion when it comes to light loads.

They just do whatever tf they like to us, it wants sorted. :smiling_imp:

^^^^^^^
+1
never in a million years would i strap that.
if its a dedicated haulier or company truck,then they could have corner boards,and “obliginf forkies” to ensure your straps were put over the boards before being loaded,but with no drivers being allowed around the yard when forkies are working,then that idea also goes ■■■■ up.
i reguary load assorted galvanised farmers gates and sheep pens from france.( imagine a box of meccanno emptied out) its all shapes and sizes,but the forkies,just get all your straps and make sure they are over everything as you load it as theres usually 2 inch max space at the roof.
theres no need for any reason to strap that.
just another ott by the rule book vostapo example of milking the cash cow truckie.

51573319c7cbc.preview-620.jpgWe used to load rolls on end in dry van trailers with no restraints but trailer walls are so thin and flimsy they probably wouldn’t contain the rolls if toppled with any force like this.

The insulation looks like “thermalite” .I deliver loads of it (on a builders merchant flat) and the only reason I put a strap over is to stop it blowing away. It is so light .

syramax:
The insulation looks like “thermalite” .I deliver loads of it (on a builders merchant flat) and the only reason I put a strap over is to stop it blowing away. It is so light .

I do understand people saying on here, that you need written rules to stop the grey area, but sometimes all that is needed is common sense. Them thermalite boards ain’t going anywhere even if you drive the whole thing in the ditch.

Wheel Nut:

Unrestrained Load and driver prosecuted. [emoji850]

Link to the case please?

Humber Roads Police on Twitter… twitter.com/humberbeatroads/sta … 60321?s=21

They got panned in the comments.

rob22888:

And rightly so…utter ■■■■ s. :smiling_imp:
Shows them that it has backfired on them in terms of PR.

rob22888:
Humber Roads Police on Twitter… twitter.com/humberbeatroads/sta … 60321?s=21

I’m another one that usually supports the idea of securing loads properly, but bloody hell, this is plain stupid. I wouldn’t have put anything over that either. I do hope he and his boss go to court with this and make this lot look the turkeys they are.

Harry Monk:
Even using ratchet straps, the reels can never be properly secured because they are offset and therefore always able to move towards the less vertical section of strapping.

BS. As someone who has driven all sorts of reels in any position all over Europe and beyond, I can only say it is the time you spend securing the reels thah matters. And one strap per reel is never enough.

What is dvsa’s opinion of empty glass bottles? Often loaded double stacked with 52 pallets and one internal down the outside of each one, or sometimes cross strapped against the back of each row. Surely the weight must be well over the limit for internals.

I also sent an email to their technical guy with pictures of a load of cans of beer which were not shrink wrapped but apparently glued together. The product was smaller than the pallet resulting in a sizeable gap between the cans. They responded that although I had used internals in the picture they did not work as load security as it would only hold one column of cans and an internal curtain would be needed.

The above examples are beyond the drivers responsibility. Mind’s should be made up weather:

*drivers don’t need to bother strapping things
*drivers need to strap things, and strap them properly - therefore the stuff should be prepared in a suitable way so this can be done without risk to the driver, or risk of damage to the goods.

But of course, option 2 would involve spending money.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

If my truck is going to be loaded with an unstable load such as palleted bottle stacks…

Then I don’t want ^^^^^ THESE guys loading it…

I want vvvvvv THAT guy loading it!

KarlM:
What is dvsa’s opinion of empty glass bottles? Often loaded double stacked with 52 pallets and one internal down the outside of each one, or sometimes cross strapped against the back of each row. Surely the weight must be well over the limit for internals.

I wasn’t aware there was a weight limit for internals, any idea what it might be? In my limited experience of these things I’ve always found them to be pretty useless for the load that was being carried and no one ever bothered showing me how to use them “properly” if indeed there is a “proper” way to use them.

EDIT: found the answer now: 400kg for internal “buckle straps”
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

milodon:

Harry Monk:
Even using ratchet straps, the reels can never be properly secured because they are offset and therefore always able to move towards the less vertical section of strapping.

BS. As someone who has driven all sorts of reels in any position all over Europe and beyond, I can only say it is the time you spend securing the reels thah matters. And one strap per reel is never enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ive never taken them verically myself,but wouldnt usung the strap as a barrel hitch be the safest way,or would that damage them?

The rolls are pushed up against eachother, so the only way to do it right is to open up the roof and both sides, then lay down the straps with corner protectors so that every roll has at least two straps securing it. It will take the better part of two hours but if you’ve got a couple of thousand klicks ahead of you, that’s they way I always did it.

trevHCS:
If curtains were clear or semi transparent it might help as curtains just hide the sins of those who don’t bother strapping.

Not sure of roping and sheeting would work for pallets (defo not for double deckers :slight_smile: ) but making employers more liable might help. Technically they are, but if there were decently big fines for obviously bad strapping going to the employer they might take a bit more seriously.

We’ve had all sorts fall over and fall off inc an entire ADR load of 1T pallets totally unstrapped, but zip effect it seems beyond saying we don’t want that agency driver again. Massive fines might wake them up and be more selective as to who they chose.

Oh and from what I’ve seen, its not jist the new drivers who don’t strap or just use internals. Scary how many drivers who should know better still figure it’ll never happen.

I have worked for a number of company’s who simply will not allow the time to strap the load correctly or sometimes inspect it…I have walked from a number of sites where the pointy shoe brigade have said “no need to check it drive…crack on or you’ll be late”. There are lots of places out there who will just tell the agency not to send this guy back “he’s a pain” . Eventually they will find a driver who won’t check the load for security or inspect the load prior to his journey or even inquire if there are any ratchet straps anywhere he could use. Fact is DVSA should be sorting this, but they don’ t have the resources to make unannounced visits to the cowboy company’s, they are much happier sitting by the roadside collecting for the xmas bash.

trooper2290:

trevHCS:
If curtains were clear or semi transparent it might help as curtains just hide the sins of those who don’t bother strapping.

Not sure of roping and sheeting would work for pallets (defo not for double deckers :slight_smile: ) but making employers more liable might help. Technically they are, but if there were decently big fines for obviously bad strapping going to the employer they might take a bit more seriously.

We’ve had all sorts fall over and fall off inc an entire ADR load of 1T pallets totally unstrapped, but zip effect it seems beyond saying we don’t want that agency driver again. Massive fines might wake them up and be more selective as to who they chose.

Oh and from what I’ve seen, its not jist the new drivers who don’t strap or just use internals. Scary how many drivers who should know better still figure it’ll never happen.

I have worked for a number of company’s who simply will not allow the time to strap the load correctly or sometimes inspect it…I have walked from a number of sites where the pointy shoe brigade have said “no need to check it drive…crack on or you’ll be late”. There are lots of places out there who will just tell the agency not to send this guy back “he’s a pain” . Eventually they will find a driver who won’t check the load for security or inspect the load prior to his journey or even inquire if there are any ratchet straps anywhere he could use. Fact is DVSA should be sorting this, but they don’ t have the resources to make unannounced visits to the cowboy company’s, they are much happier sitting by the roadside collecting for the xmas bash.

I’m assuming when you say you ‘‘walked from the sites’’ you mean you told him to go and ■■■■ himself, (as I would have done) it’s the driver’s licence and arse on the line not those type of tossers. :smiling_imp:
If they ban agency drivers who stand up to them and who want to do the job properly, they aint worth working for anyway, you’ve had a lucky escape mate, just leave it to the teararse heroes who are as thick as pig ■■■■ and will do anything they are told to. :unamused:

Went to essity Wigan yesterday to collect 12 plts of kitchen roll.
Went goods in desk. Fella there was friendly full of morning joy.
He said it’s plts kitchen roll each plt is less than 100kgs nice and light.
The he said. STRAPPING IS AN OPTIONAL EXTRA HERE OUR DRIVERS DON’T BOTHER. THERE’S NO NEED TO. AS DELIVERY POINT IS BACK DOOR DELIVERY ANYWAY.
Unbeluvable I threw a strap.over each pallet anyway

edd1974:
The he said. STRAPPING IS AN OPTIONAL EXTRA HERE OUR DRIVERS DON’T BOTHER. THERE’S NO NEED TO. AS DELIVERY POINT IS BACK DOOR DELIVERY ANYWAY.

I’d to the same with that load. We were told from our driver trainer that light loads don’t require strapping every pallet, just across the back 2. Our trailers have XL body. Isn’t this correct?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

edd1974:

The man deserves a gong