Them reels of paper that don’t need strapping

That motor must have had some serious swerve on to lose those strapped reels I reckon, it must have been snaking all over the ■■■■ road…was it the fault of all that electronic dog ■■■■ braking up too harsh? …who knows. :neutral_face:

As has been said before, in the old days they were never strapped (not saying it’s right/not saying it was wrong) but in my personal experience I don’t think that I heard about any lost loads coming out of the sides,… unless they flipped over of course.
Not saying there wasn’t ANY btw, just that in all those road movements with reels, I don’t remember any in those days.

robroy:
That motor must have had some serious swerve on to lose those strapped reels I reckon, it must have been snaking all over the [zb] road…was it the fault of all that electronic dog [zb] braking up too harsh? …who knows. :neutral_face:

As has been said before, in the old days they were never strapped (not saying it’s right/not saying it was wrong) but in my personal experience I don’t think that I heard about any lost loads coming out of the sides,… unless they flipped over of course.

Firstly is it certain that the curtains haven’t just been opened and the load taken off for recovery of the truck and trailer ?.IE the reels look in an unexpectedly ordered position at the side of the truck and the curtains look more like they’ve just been opened rather than torn from their anchorages or split apart.

As for swerving/braking etc etc causing movement the odds are that type of load will be thrown it won’t slide along/across the deck.Which leaves the question of the energy involved.Is it kinetics based on the speed of the load relative to the outside world.Or G force relative to speed differential between load deck and load.My bet is on the former and in this case then predictably smashing through the restraints under braking/collision force probably breaking them at their point of contact with the load.In which case it’s obvious that the load will have to be removed before anyone can recover the outfit and DVSA and every one else is way underestimating the forces involved,in delivering the kinetic energy contained in a load,to the brakes,let alone if a collision stops it all instead of/before the brakes do. :bulb:

The loading of reels in the U.K. is the wrong method but to the mills it’s the most cost effective, most if not all mills in the U.K. line the floor of the trailer with a waste thick grade paper ( this will be collected and recycled ), using paper is a waste of time providing nothing but a protective layer between the reel and trailer bed.
Every paper mill I’ve collected from in Europe wether as close as Kallo or as far as Zaragoza the reels are loaded onto thick rubber mats , then secured with protective corners and spansets. I’ve never had one move, not saying I wouldn’t if involved in an accident, but maybe this cutting corners to save money only pushes the blame for events such as this onto the driver.

Tut tut not very professional,no pad under the leg . :open_mouth:

What sort of “penalties” are likely to be handed out here?

robroy:
That motor must have had some serious swerve on to lose those strapped reels I reckon, it must have been snaking all over the [zb] road…was it the fault of all that electronic dog [zb] braking up too harsh? …who knows. :neutral_face:

Not saying there wasn’t ANY btw, just that in all those road movements with reels, I don’t remember any in those days.

Yes in the so called old day you wasn’t allowed to put a strap over when they were on end in case you damaged the reel, at best a internal round the front and back. As Robroy said, rare to hear about them coming out unless its been in a crash. Worse I remember was on the A47 near Swaffham when a driver ditched it, was like a seen from the dam busters with bouncing bombs. They where smaller reels, some bounced 100 yards across the field :open_mouth:

robroy:

rambo19:

robroy:

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
The police do crack down on drug dealers/truck crime/burglaries.
Ma
I suggest you follow you local police force on twitter/facebook to see what they do.

I follow essex police, and everyday they are nicking people for all of the above.

I can not be arsed with either Twitter or Facebook,…as you say ‘‘utter cobblers’’ !
They’re hardly going to go on there and say ‘‘We’re losing the battle against drug dealers and burglaries, so we’re going for an easier target, so watch out motorists and truckers’’…are they ?. :unamused:

Maybe they should ‘‘crack down’’ a bit harder, and if there was actual evidence of it, I’d probably believe it, but I definitely do not see it in my area.
On the other hand I see plenty of evidence of their ‘‘crack downs’’ on drinking coffee at the wheel, and lucrative speed traps…not so much on A & B roads where it is more potentially dangerous, but definitely on Mways and D.carriageways with richer pickings.

Your saying you have seen the police stop someone for drinking coffee?
How did you see it?

Ok, I was referring to the Police tractor units, I was actually pulled myself, ok not for drinking but for glancing at my notes :unamused: , …You see them on the telly stopping truckers for drinking at the wheel, if you don’t accept that, then next time you see a one coming up beside you have a sip of your Costa…see what happens for yourself.

Then don’t look at your notes whilst driving.
Drinking coffee whilst driving is not illegal, how ever, failure to be in proper control is.

rambo19:
Then don’t look at your notes whilst driving.
Drinking coffee whilst driving is not illegal, how ever, failure to be in proper control is.

Well thanks for the advice,…I’ll write it down. :neutral_face:
Thing is I wasn’t complaining, I was trying to answer your point.

Punchy Dan:

and what a stupid place to put the crane controls.
Needs his hard hat on. squatting under the stabiliser .

Suedehead:

Punchy Dan:

and what a stupid place to put the crane controls.
Needs his hard hat on. squatting under the stabiliser .

Yes you’d think with the prices they charge they could afford £3000 to go remote :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

Exactly what I thought. Also what suedehead said. There was no remote on the crane truck that I drove, but the out rigger was lower so I didn’t need one. Anyway, if it had a remote fitted, it would have been worth more than the rest of the old banger. :slight_smile:

So, there we have it.

Accoring to Rob, we don’t need any restraints on upended reels of paper. According to TATA (née British Steel) we need to strap an up right front, back, and and over the top…

11 coils on your deck… 33 straps… You

What the Police forces of this country put on Facebook/ Twitter is nothing but corporate ■■■■■■■■!!!
Police no longer Police.
Quoting from a senior officer in my area " The cops nowadays are scared of the young team & use an app on their phones to find out what what laws & legislation are: hence why so many cases get dropped at court.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Unrestrained Load and driver prosecuted. [emoji850]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:

generallee:
Hi,
Don’t post on here really, but thought I’d try and clear this up a bit.
The load was strapped, with edge protectors. One strap over each reel. All the loads coming out of that mill get strapped. I don’t know what happened exactly (still trying to find out! :laughing: ) from what I can gather the driver was braking and swerving when he lost the load, it didn’t come off when he hit the wagon in front.
Goes to show just 'cos it’s strapped, don’t mean it’s safe.

Even using ratchet straps, the reels can never be properly secured because they are offset and therefore always able to move towards the less vertical section of strapping. Of course, they could load fewer reels on each trailer, loading them centrally but somehow safety isn’t quite as important when it affects a paper manufacturer’s profits.

Spot on Harry,

The same applies to site health and safety when loading/tipping at places. When it suits them, h & s goes right out the window - it’s also amazing how some sites with the most outlandish safety rules also manage to miss the completely obvious stuff!

Wheel Nut has reposted a picture from a previous thread (of the insulation). One layer less on that trailer would have made it simpler and safer for the driver to secure it however DVSA said it should be done - but of course this would be less goods on each trailer. Most companies seem to cram as much product on a trailer, pallet, etc without much thought to load security, stability etc. because thats down to the driver.

twitter.com/bmstores/status/100 … lang=en-gb
The above vehicle was pulled up by DVSA/Police and load security was checked. I’m not sure if their concern was mainly the load shifting but they do mention lack of load restraint. Now I have been to their site recently and they don’t look any different when they’re loading. I also couldn’t see any internal straps in their trailers. And I am presuming drivers do not ratchet strap the entire lot. The proper process for DVSA in this case should have been:

1. Driver gets pulled over and load checked
  2. Lack of straps, pallets not positive fit and driver given warning/FPN etc.
  3. DVSA note company and pull some more in the coming days
  4. If load security is a concern on multiple vehicles visit operator and provide advice/bollocking/threats as necessary to ensure they change procedures, equipment etc. to satisfy load security requirements.
  5. Operator complies as the don’t want to lose licence/be on red light etc.

Does it actually happen like this - or only as far as step 3 as it’s easier to pull a few drivers than get involved visiting operator etc.
A lot of the problems with drivers running with ‘insecure loads’ could be solved by making sure the loading sites, or the operators have the correct equipment, processes etc. to do the job right to start with.

Wheel Nut:

And that just about says it all,.and shows up what ‘‘their’’ priorities and real reqsons for all this sudden clampdown are ie fines and money over common sense.
Where tf is that stuff going to go exactly, I’ve carried it many times in the past, is it going to ram through the headboard killing the driver or something? :unamused: , even if the thing rolled it would stay intact ffs.
In fact if that Euroliner is anything like the ones I used to use, it may even have vertical metal sections inside the curtains every 3 or 4 buckles.
Surely there is room for discretion when it comes to light loads.

They just do whatever tf they like to us, it wants sorted. :smiling_imp:

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

And that just about says it all,.and shows up what ‘‘their’’ priorities and real reqsons for all this sudden clampdown are ie fines and money over common sense.
Where tf is that stuff going to go exactly, I’ve carried it many times in the past, is it going to ram through the headboard killing the driver or something? :unamused: , even if the thing rolled it would stay intact ffs.
In fact if that Euroliner is anything like the ones I used to use, it may even have vertical metal sections inside the curtains every 3 or 4 buckles.

That trailer won’t have the metal sections in the curtain, as it has wooden boards, it may however have the reinforced curtains, even the Germans accept that if the load touch these reinforced curtains and if pallets for example are butted up to each other so there is no movement and the curtains are pulled tight, then the load safety is adequate.
BUT if the load is layered or double stacked the load must be secured.

The load in the picture looks like insulation board of some kind, it’s impossible to strap without damaging the product, how DVSA or any other control can deem it as unsafe is beyond belief

Grumpy Dad:

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

That trailer won’t have the metal sections in the curtain, as it has wooden boards, it may however have the reinforced curtains, even the Germans accept that if the load touch these reinforced curtains and if pallets for example are butted up to each other so there is no movement and the curtains are pulled tight, then the load safety is adequate.
BUT if the load is layered or double stacked the load must be secured.

The load in the picture looks like insulation board of some kind, it’s impossible to strap without damaging the product, how DVSA or any other control can deem it as unsafe is beyond belief

I thought that looks like insulation board, think if it is DVSA might be going slightly over the top :open_mouth:

the nodding donkey:
So, there we have it.

Accoring to Rob, we don’t need any restraints on upended reels of paper. According to TATA (née British Steel) we need to strap an up right front, back, and and over the top…

Don’t forget in Tata, you have to strap everything from ground level, you cannot climb on the trailer or on top of the load [emoji12]

Wheel Nut:

the nodding donkey:
So, there we have it.

Don’t forget in Tata, you have to strap everything from ground level, you cannot climb on the trailer or on top of the load [emoji12]

Never forgot the time I went round a roundabout at Market Deeping and there on it side was a tin plate coil. No lorry, nothing. you would have thought the driver would have noticed it rolling out of the coil well. Bugger if I had a hiab think of the scrap value :wink: