theft

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:
i filled up the truck one day, and the wife had the car beside me. the garage owner went ape [zb] at me. but i carried on filling up, i paid on the card, and at the same time the garage owner was on the phone to my boss.
the boss told him to [zb] off.
the reason?
we always filled up on the card, and the boss charged us minus the VAT. :wink:

It’s not really a very good idea to admit to VAT fraud on a public forum Phil. :wink:

It would be of more interest to the Tax-man I reckon.
There are loads of reasons to be filling cans up legit! There could be a fuel payment for the driver to get to his place of work, a van that’s used by the company and always needs filling. Generators, donkey motors etc at the base. I’ve worked for teams where I fill the truck with enough gas to get to the track and back, then fill cans to top up the vans/cars for team staff who wants to be away home sunday night without any hold-ups and I was the only one trusted with the fuel card etc.
Can’t always trust what you see or are told.

But I don’t like folks stealing either…

Anyone doing it are bound to get caught out as the firm knows how many mpg they should be getting and how much they should be spending and then there’s the time time the one goes off on holiday and all of a sudden that truck is using a lot less fuel

You must be joking. I used to go and fill up both my tanks AND two 44 gallon drums with diesel. That amounted to over 800 litres. The drums were for the machine that my boss used to move and load containers at the yard.
If you came to me with the slightest hint of accusation that I was nicking it, you’d have ended up with crushed nuts. Mind yer own ■■■■■■■ business unless you know what you’re talking about. We’re not all on the fiddle, even if you are. :smiling_imp:

cv68:
I have seen guys filling ad blue cans up with diesel while filling the truck
I think it disgusting to steel diesel or anything from a employer
Can you imagine being sacked for steeling fuel you never get another job because when the new employer rings up for a reference
and your old boss says he got the sack for steeling and you cant be trusted
With diesel prices being at a all time high if you nick £70 to £100 p.w that could be half the trucks profit
I have a shell card , AS24 card, DKV card , and a RED card, on my person and would NEVER use them for my own use

Maybe its just me but i been brought up not to steel

regards cv

Or speel? :smiley:

We fill up 1 gallon cans for when we are ashphalting. It removes tar from the tailboard. We are ment to use cherry from the yard but when we run out then its shells finest!
Id say fella that its ■■■■ all to do with you and you dont know the ■■■■■■■ full story so mind ya ■■■■■■ buisness!!!

If one of my drivers had been caught doing this then I would appreciate a phone call.

I heard of a driver bragging to another whilst filling a jerry can a few months ago, “they don’t miss it” he said to the other driver. A phone call was made to the company and I’m sure some explaining when he got back to the yard.

As in previous posts yes there are times when a driver does need to carry a jerry can to aid with his work, but I’m sure a good gaffer would know this.

strongbowpeter:
if you saw someone cutting a curtain sider you would call the police right? thats theft,so why when we see drivers filling up there jerry cans on the company card do we turn a blind eye,i waited behind a car transporter at toddington as he filled the truck and 2 cans which he said were his christmas bonus,£70 not bad,so if you do this every week thats £3640 a year and thats just one driver,and then when the firm goes ■■■■ up they blame the managment or the economy,its the same for the low life morons selling pallets,please dont complain if your house/car is ever broken into because your just the same as him!!!

You did report this to the police didnt you?

Dont tell me you didnt but then came on the interweb thingy to complain. :unamused:

With white pallets bosses will sometimes say “Look! I don’t care what you do with them just get rid of them.”
And fuel going missing doesn’t prove it was driver who stole it / was stealing it. (@Kirk Ella 71)

strongbowpeter:
‘…if you saw someone cutting a curtain sider you would call the police right? thats theft…’

And how close to working on break as a security nark?

Bottom line, it’s not worth losing your job over.

Silver_Surfer:
Bottom line, it’s not worth losing your job over.

If it were a rubbish job, rubbish company maybe? Or random agency shifts? Never done it myself but know of some who been caught.

strongbowpeter:
…if you saw someone cutting a curtain sider you would call the police right? thats theft…

No, actually it’s criminal damage / loitering with intent.

And I wouldn’t call the police because they already know that there’s people going around cutting trailer curtains just about everywhere and he’d be gone before they arrived.

It makes me wonder why the police leave trailers in laybys saying “THIS IS A LOAD THEFT HOTSPOT!”
Wouldn’t they be better leaving those at the entrances to the ports so that they signify this entire woebegone self-disintergrating country?

i use to fill up a old adblue can about once a week!!! shock horror ah but the only reason was that the tank was so small on the truck i had i keep the can to get me out of trouble and i only had one card which wasn’t accepted everywhere,

now in my wallet i have 4 cards bp, shell,key fuels and e.d.c so now no problem,
if a want fuel for my car i just use my shell card petrol or deisel, i don’t even bother carrying much money now, even during the week as i can buy my ■■■■ or anything else i want from shell during the week then the boss takes it out my wages end of the next week so does me ok :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We had a driver who got caught more or less red handed using the company Esso card at a urban service stn, he was selling derv to taxi drivers, they would fill up their motors he would use the card to pay for the fuel, and pocket a fraction of the normal price, It probably came on top due to the fact that he only drove a van and that van was going though more derv than 2 artics ,and it didn’t help that he always used the same garage,
He most probably only did it because he had only a few months prior got nicked by HMRC at Dover port with a quantity of cigs and tobacco, not a ■■■■ tacking amount really but made up of too many different brands for them to except that they where for personal consumption, so they also seized the van he was driving, the boss had to pay to get it back, the cost of which he passed on to the driver,probably plus some other charges to, knowing how the boss man works

TRUST IS A TERRIBLE THING

TRAILERS1:
TRUST IS A TERRIBLE THING

No it’s not. I expect it and take it for granted.

I`d be more inclined to report the driver for nicking the empty ad-blue cans :laughing:
To be serious, its very easy to steal fuel from most companies, but its also a more serious offence in stealing from your employer, than from anyone else, in the eyes of the law, and thats because its seen as breaking the trust between yourselves, something i have never ever done, or ever likely to do.

Red Squirrel:
With white pallets bosses will sometimes say “Look! I don’t care what you do with them just get rid of them.”
And fuel going missing doesn’t prove it was driver who stole it / was stealing it. (@Kirk Ella 71)

I was taking the pish as he seemed on a right old rant as the next post from me read about how easy it would be to be caught and not worth it over a few quid

When I had my own truck I used to fill the 25ltr drums up for my car. Would you assume I was nicking from myself stealing diesel ?

There might be a perfectly legitimate reason for what you see going on. No one should be accused of theft until facts are verified.A tipper man might be filling up cans to feed the rollers that are out on site. I have asked what happens to the pallets that lie around in the yard,was told to take as many as I wanted when I said that I have a coal fire and am always prowling for fire wood.