The wheel on the truck goes round and roun...missing

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort … s-18690841

FOR SALE…wheel and tyre, would suit either a trailer, or tractor unit, prospective buyer must retrieve it from the top of a tall tree which is in a gulley, as cannot deliver £100 ovno. :laughing:

Wheel meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when …

Keep up old chap :laughing: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87486

Wheel all going on a summer holiday… gardun, you`ve started something now, i aint taking any blame.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ten wheels on my wagon and … Oh bugger :open_mouth:

Nine wheels on …

“This shockingly defective vehicle could have caused a catastrophic accident,” said Mr Collings.

“It could have resulted in serious injury and loss of life, and also major disruption on the road network.”
IT COULD HAVE…
BUT IT DIDN’T… so stop hyping it up to make it sound worse Mr VOSA…

Trailer doesn’t appear to look too badly maintained.

Article appears to be more than a bit melodramatic. The real danger would have been when the wheel let go.

The assumption is the wheel was there to start with.

Got passed by a flatbed-transit this morning heading up to Liverpool at about 4am somewhere in Staffordshire. Didn’t seem too stable on the roads, but didn’t think much of it until I saw it on the Thelwall Viaduct N/B hard shoulder with it’s O/S/R backend rather low, the wheel was completely off the axle and leaning at a tilt against it, almost as if it was propped back up again after being ‘retrieved’.

Now, when I do my walk around checks I do follow the advice from others on here including checking my nuts are secure… :blush: :blush: Wheelnuts, I mean my wheelnuts are secure :laughing: :laughing: along with all the other little things.

Important bits to remember, I often repeat it in my head what I need to do just to remind myself that I have done it all though… :wink:

Clearly that van driver and the one in the news article failed to take that into consideration…

Years ago before taking a 7.5t out I found the rear wheel nuts loose on the lorry and had a devils own job trying to tighten the [zb] nuts up with those yellow triangle things on.

YES. I know NOW that I should have removed them first, but, well, I hadn’t known that then :astonished: The fitter was out on a call out and no other vehicle was available to take instead so I tightened them up as best I could and borrowed one of the workshops’ long bars and the associated socket for the rear wheelnuts and tightened them up again on site as well as stopping on the way there and back. Something wasn’t gripping or I was just a wimp and not strong enough :blush: :open_mouth: But at least I drove with consideration of the state of the vehicle and not just without a care in the world… :unamused: :unamused: :sunglasses:

You’ll never get them tight enough without either a bar you can stand on and ideally chart of what length to use for your bodyweight, a proper Norbar or a torque multiplier (risk of too tight/stud stretch with a multiplier)

Drives are biggest risk of coming loose/hardest to do.

Surely the only real danger was when it set free, as it’s unlikely to make a major change to the way a tri axle drives?

o dear thats gonna be a visit too the traffic commissioner with no tea and biscuits for that happening.

The only thing is there’s nothing to stop the airbag pushing down on the axle.

Provided the other axles weren’t overladen the air can be disconnected from the bags on that axle and it strapped up.

scotstrucker:
o dear thats gonna be a visit too the traffic commissioner with no tea and biscuits for that happening.

Irish firm, Romanian driver.

No further action will happen.

scotstrucker:

Romanian driver, foreign registered motor so no TC involvement AFAICS.

hammer:

scotstrucker:

Irish firm, Romanian driver.

No further action will happen.

lucky them then

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

dew:
Surely the only real danger was when it set free, as it’s unlikely to make a major change to the way a tri axle drives?

Have you not seen a loose hgv wheel bounce through another hgv’s drivers side windscreen or through/onto a car before ?

Totally avoidable, lock the ■■■■■■ up :smiley:

speedyguy:

dew:

Have you not seen a loose hgv wheel bounce through another hgv’s drivers side windscreen or through/onto a car before ?

Totally avoidable, lock the [zb] up :smiley:

Hence the “When it set free”, the danger was with the wheel not with the truck…

dew:
Hence the “When it set free”, the danger was with the wheel not with the truck…

An issue with the axle on the trailer caused the wheel to become a dangerous,uncontrolled object in the first place.How could the driver possibly predict this?