The War

Unusual age system for recruitment, he will have a hard hard job getting 500,000 new recruits
In his own country, and why did he sit on it for over a year before signing it when it was already passed

Cannon fodder for a stupid argument and strategy as bad as 1914.It won’t stop at Ukraine they’ll inevitably also introduce conscription here for this excrement show as it inevitably escalates.

Maybe Ukrainians should wake up, and realize that they’ve been lied to from the start…
I suspect that more ukrainian civillians have been killed by Ukrainian shelling than by all the Russian moves put together…

Think:
Russia invades an East Ukraine town, and occupies it.
Ukraine - wants that town back, but doesn’t give a toss about the citizens living there, as they are mostly Ethnic Russians.
They shell it back to the stone age, and give the occupying Russians a hard time…
They tell the Western Media (not present) that it is the Russians that have done all this tower-block shelling damage shown on our TV screens, and no one disputes that - lest they be called “Ivan” or “Comrade” on the message boards trying to put another point of view across…

Months later, the town is utterly ruined, the Russians manage to keep everything gained, BAR Kherson, and the Ukrainians boast they have killed millions of Russian raw recruits, whilst only losing a handful of elite forces of their own…

Western Media bigs-up stories of “how many Russians are perishing” whilst keeping quiet the damage to the home front…
No one doubts that Ukraine is a money pit, but any journalist trying to say anything against the war “continuing” - is a Putin-lovin’ properganderist…

At the end of the day, the war ends when one side are all dead.
The “Winners” are those who survive in such a war.
The country will be ruined, but the war zone is currently very much in the East, and not the West of the country as we’ve been led to believe.
Should Putin launch an offensive on the West, or send his ally Belarus to open a second front - it will be game over for everyone still in Ukraine, regardless of Putin’s future intentions.
It isn’t logical for Putin to let West Ukraine stand UNLESS he hopes to one day take it all intact…
He’s already past that point in the East…
What “Peace” could possibly be negotiated at this late stage?

I can see “Globetrotting Scrounger” Zelensky getting removed by his own people before long…
He’s already cancelled his own re-election, presumably to prevent himself being removed peacefully…
As such, his own status as “Dictator” is therefore more solid than Putin’s, who we’re told MUST be a dictator, because it’s impossible for anyone bar an Autocrat to win an election with as high a percentage of the vote that he’s just got…
Is it?
Why do the Democrats in America fear Trump “becoming a Dictator” merely because he’s also likely to get a very high percentage of the vote?
A super-majority in a Democratic Election - surely isn’t the same as a Dictatorship where invariably a Military Coup is involved?

1 Like

Love to know what the 2 experts think what the war is about
My opinion is as long as Russia shows a presence in Ukraine things will stay as they are and that’s all Russia wants
If they wanted to overpower the country they could do it in a blink,
As long as this goes on it suits Russia, send the odd bomb here and there and it keeps nato out and Europe out and it drains money from supporters countrys
Ukraine is also getting more than they ever thought a better life for the millions of Ukraines scattered all over Europe running away from there country and they are mostly young fighting men.
So much for a so called war there’s nothing whatsoever real about it, they are both winners and fooling the rest of the world

Why on earth would they actually want to get involved in a long expensive war if they could have got it all over quickly?
Almost the whole world and doubtless Putin thought it was a done deal that after a few days they would be in Kyiv.
If that had happened Putin would by now be building stocks up again as he eyed up the next land grab, using stolen Ukrainian land and resources to do so.

The West thought Putin had better a better military than he really did. He too was as surprised as the rest of us. Don’t you remember the first days with trucks breaking down and their 20 and 30 year old tyres disintegrating? Putin always got favourable reports of the state of the military because he would only accept favourable reports. Dictators don’t want to hear the truth.

The odd bomb?
Does the Western press gets bored with reporting the same story? Or are they responding to reader fatigue and indifference?
Because it is not “new” news it is relegated too far down the list IMHO.

Really?

Where are getting of this from?

My history on this is lacking so happy to be corrected.

here is why i feel a little sorry for Russia in general terms. After ww2 it was agreed by all parties the division of land so that no country was big enough to invade another. Russia had a huge swathe of “no mans land” between Europe and its self. This was agreed upon by all the powers that be. (not sure what the smaller countries thought) slowly all the countries apart from Belarus and Ukraine (and by default Moldova) on their western side has joined the eu.

if Ukraine were to join that would only leave Belarus. to the south if turkey joins the eu then there is only Georgia (no idea where they are affiliated)

seems to me that the Ukraine is important to Russian security

What!?
Poland was Polish. (or should have been)
Czechoslovakia was Czech(or should have been)
etc.
There was no “no-man;'s land”.
The Russian CCCP occupied and subjugated those countries.

There was no agreement to that occupation, but it was realised that any further war was probably very unwise.

1989 meant that the satellite countries could begin, at long last, self determination.
Some have chosen for themselves to join the EU and NATO.

Turkey is already a full member of NATO. Joining the EU is not relevant to that.

Finland, and Sweden famously were not members of NATO, until after the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
It was Putin and his actions that made them join. He shouts about western expansionism (ie he does not want other countries to make up their own minds) but he violently expands eastwards.

“Ukraine is important to Russian security”?
That is what Putin has said because he does not want a NATO country next to him.
But he has invaded Ukraine and wants to place a Russian slave state next to NATO!
He is expanding in the way he accuses NATO of doing, except he is doing it through war.

And remember that in 1989 Ukraine inherited hundreds of ex-Soviet ICBMs, nuclear bombs and bombers.
In 1994, Ukraine signed the an agreement to transfer these weapons to Russia and became a party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, in exchange for assurances from Russia, the United States and United Kingdom to respect the Ukrainian independence and sovereignty in the existing borders.

And another thing…
History did not start in 1945 !

Interesting link as to what the Polish truckers and business think
All systems operating normal in a war except for the dispute,

Really? I’ve never heard that said in any history book or TV programme etc I’ve ever seen or heard

Your benevolence towards Russia is a little misplaced I feel

Not to mention

And, it would be wrong to miss out

Erm… No, no no-man’s-land at all, for example

un is a subsidiary of it and NATO was a direct result of ww2

not benevolence at all… just a simplistic view of broken agreement. the ussr wasn’t russia as in the country it formed a barrier between europe who had repeatedly through out history tried to invade russia and the country its self.

ie if some German or french man got to big for his boots again they had to fight all the way through Poland etc to get to russia.

Subsidiary,
Noun, something which is a part of a larger entity
Adjective, something less important than something else with which it is connected

So no, the UN is not a subsidiary of an imagined plan to ensure no one country was large enough to invade another country. Which incidentally, being British citizens, both of us can clearly see from our country’s history “size is no guarantee of strength”. If it was, we would never have had control of India, nor had one man create an entire African country named after himself

NATO was indeed a result of WWII, most practically intended to limit Soviet expansion, which we can see is still a highly relevant issue.

I have empathy for the Russian people, but not their leadership.

Absolutely.

@cooper1203
The UN is a subsidiary of what?
The UN has Russia and China on the Permanent Security Council.
It has nowt to do with NATO.

In past times everyone was invading everyone else, all the time.

From Russia’s point of view history started in 1941.
It obviously then understandably became paranoid about future invasions from the West.Which is why it chose to take in Eastern Europe as buffer states and which the west grudgingly understood.
Russia’s rehab was all going fine under the Cold War strategy to the point where it withdrew and returned those buffer states to independence.
So what did the West do let’s move NATO forces in rather than reciprocate with a declaration of DMZ and neutrality for Eastern Europe.
The rest may turn out to be history of the WW3, that we invested so much effort in successfully avoiding during decades of Cold War strategy based on the fact that WW3 has no winner and history ends at that point.

Franglais seems to conveniently forget the Yalta and Potsdam agreements.Admittegly both based on the correct premise that it wasn’t worth a losing WW3 over Eastern Europe.
Ukraine’s claims are based on the territory handed to them by Kruschev in 1954 as part of the Soviet Union.A deal which obviously ceased with the end of the SU.

i know what the word means thats why i used it,

from the link i posted… un came out of the 1954 talks that were after the nato agreement hence they were a subsidiary agreement

where have i said i side with putin i have simply said that through the growth of the eu etc etc that safety barrier isn’t there anymore.

if you were selling your car and agreed a price with someone and gave them a few days to get the cash out of the bank . If he came back on the agreed day and said i dont want to pay x ill only pay half the agreed price i imagine you would be hacked off that he waasted your time

I don’t believe there was any kind of agreement, but if there had been, the Soviets would have been the first to disregard it with their military expansion.

You could successfully claim that “Russia” in the form of it’s cultural ancestor, Kievan Rus was also invaded by The Mongols. It’s centralized location means that any expanding military force is likely to want to pass through their lands.

Don’t ignore the Swedes: Charles XII, aka Carolus Rex, also invaded Russia (unsuccessfully) as part of The Great Northern War (1700-1721)
Immortallized in song by Swedish metallers, Sabaton

But it didn’t did it?
Pure nonsense.

Not obvious at all.

Detente started slowly in the 70’s and led to the fall of the Iron Curtain in 1989.

It is in more recent years that Putin, and his need to unite the country under his regime has sought again to talk up the bogey-man in the west.
Classic Orwellian Big Brother tactics.

“All was going well”
I don’t think the millions of citizens in Soviet occupied countries thought “it was all going well”

Again absolute nonsense!
Ukraine let go the nukes on it’s land. Finland and Sweden were for years neutral. Putin invading Ukraine in his expansion pushed Finland and Sweden into NATO. To have stayed alone would have invited Putin in.

1 Like

Again nonsense.
Why chose a 1954 treaty when Ukraine became a fully recognised state in 1991?
Russia recognised it.

What if Macron decided that history only started in 1067, and that he would no longer recognise the newer treaties and would occupy Kent?

Assuming you don’t want to recognise Russia’s interests in Eastern Ukraine good luck with the implications of that which you obviously haven’t thought through.Heres a clue Russia thinks it can take a nuke strike from France and is willing to face that in retaliation for turning France and with it us, into an irradiated smoking pile of rubble and desert.While you’re betting the farm that the US is willing to go the same way in retaliation.Not that it will matter much to us either way.