The use of ZB

If it needs doctoring to get it around the censor, it’s not allowed. L. :wink:

Oh dear, over active internet policing has lead to many an unhappy user.
One of my posts had a word used in a daytime tv advert for some age defying cream substituted for a [zb]. why? it’s not an offensive word, its phreaking used in daytime tv for petes sake. the same with ■■■■ [zb]. its not an offensive word, so shouldn’t be [zb]'d.

Edited again. Have some respect for the rules that YOU signed up to. See below. L.

Bottom line is this. when you register and post you agree to abide by the Rules. If you don’t like them, don’t use the site.

Important reasons for the language rules:

1. This site is hosted on US servers and hence comes under COPA (Child Protection OnLine) Rules. If we allow what the US Government (prissy lot that they are) deem to be adult content, we would be forced to make this a pay site, as payment by credit card would prove users age as being over 21. That would defeat the whole object of the site’s existance, in our eyes.

2. This is a Google Spidered site. If we allow bad language every bot and spammer from here to kingdom come would find us when they Google their usual keywords, and the whole thing would become unmanageable.

3. Following on from the above, we’ve tried slackening off on this one in the past, but like speed limits, wherever we draw the line people step over it - like everyone inevitably doing 70 in a 60 limit, 80 in a 70 limit, and so on. Which brings the language back, hence the Adult spammers, which brings us back to the COPA problem.

4. The rules were made because people couldn’t respect the very basic ones we started off with. So if you want to blame anyone, blame those who for some reason were incapable of sticking to a very basic agreement. Just like we’re asking you to do now.

5. This site is too big to be funded by any one person, therefore we rely on outside sponsorship and advertising to keep it on the web. If the site is full of bad language, spammers, and adult links, no-one will pay to advertise and we end up with no site. It’s that simple.

So to return full circle, if you can’t respect the rules you signed up to, go elsewhere. It’s your choice. :wink:

Lucy:
Bottom line is this. when you register and post you agree to abide by the Rules. If you don’t like them, don’t use the site.

I understand that, i’ve setup & managed enough web-based forums (including childrens charities) in my time. BUT, the moderators of this site are changing non-offensive words, which in my opinion is OTT.

You need to be over 18 to have an internet account in the UK(you don’t need to be 18 to use it). you need to be at least 18 to be a professional driver. drivers, on the whole, swear. so you create a site inviting professional drivers to communicate amongst themselves, but you over-police the conversations to remove non-offensive words.

This is why I hate web-based forums, but they seem to have taken over from usenet, primarily because its easier for people to access them when sat behind a computer at work.

I have put up with the ‘clicky’ atmosphere on here, people sucking up to others, but I really don’t agree with this.

there are people on here, whinging & whining about the nanny state, yet t
ey ■■■■ up to the moderators who remove non-offensive words.

And YES, I know what to do. doesn’t make what you do right though.

Hey, I’m just doing a JOB. I’m doing as I’m TOLD to do. Like most people who are doing a JOB I have my own opinions about the rights and wrongs of it’s descriptions and duties, but that doesn’t mean I can just do as I please.

Quite why people take this stuff so personally I have no idea…but if you want to go into the subject further I suggest you use the Feedback Forum at the bottom of the page to air your views. They may not be replied to, but they will be taken on board.

I have to go and take a grotty old 45ft box to Manchester on a 40ft trailer with no lineboard extension. I don’t like doing that, because it means crawling about in a 6 inch space under the front overhang to do the changeover, and if I don’t like it you can bet your life the shunters there won’t either when they have to put it on a bay later on. I’ve told my gaffer, but it’s going anyway.

I may not like it, but it’s my job. I have nothing personal against the shunters there, but I’ll still no doubt cop it when they find out. That’s life. :wink:

Roadhog:
You need to be over 18 to have an internet account in the UK(you don’t need to be 18 to use it).

Lucy:

1. This site is hosted on US servers

:sunglasses:

Lucy:
Hey, I’m just doing a JOB. I’m doing as I’m TOLD to do. Like most people who are doing a JOB I have my own opinions about the rights and wrongs of it’s descriptions and duties, but that doesn’t mean I can just do as I please.

Quite why people take this stuff so personally I have no idea…but if you want to go into the subject further I suggest you use the Feedback Forum at the bottom of the page to air your views. They may not be replied to, but they will be taken on board.

Hey, who’s the one taking it personally? the moderator who has censored non-offensive words has yet to be identified.

Now I know it would be easy for me to use the feedback form, but this matter could have affected other users.

The fact still remains that someone is replacing non-offensive words with a [zb]. your comments regarding the US are questionable as one of the edited words is trademarked in the US, is used to advertise a skincare product here and in the US without the need for any kind of censorship in either country, so I have to ask the moderator who did it, why they did it?

The implications of this needless editing could be serious. I have been asked by people why I had to use bad language when posting the messages, and yet I didn’t. this could taint peoples opinion of me, or that of others, and that is wrong and has left me very angry. i’m sure the compensation lawyers in the US would probably say this is defermation of character, you’re giving the impression I was foul mouthed when I wasn’t, and that is wrong.

Roadhog:
Hey, who’s the one taking it personally? the moderator who has censored non-offensive words has yet to be identified.

If there wasn’t a tag added to the post with the mods name then it was the autocensor…

which thread was the edit in ?

I do have some sympathy with Roadhog in this regard, being also someone who never swears in print except in fiction where it is essential to convey a character’s normal language or in reportage, where permitted, in quoting directly.
I get round it by either previewing everything I write before submitting or reviewing and self-editing immediately if I see a censor substitution. (See, I won’t even use the substitute in case someone assumes I have sworn :wink: ).

I do swear in normal speech but can’t see the point of the extra effort involved in printing swearwords and possibly offending people who don’t approve.

For the same reason that upset Roadhog I did get into a row on an English language French forum a few years ago when my use of the word ‘con’ (in the context of a con-artist) was substituted because it is a rude word, sometimes :unamused: , in French. They don’t edit that word anymore :wink: .

One thing to bear in mind. Due to people’s creative attempts to beat the Auto Censor, which results in us having to make additions to the lists of words it censors, an innocent word can fall foul of it. An example I can recall was when a member made a post regarding Terry Wogan and the censor removed his surname, because of the first three letters, a three letter word that is in the Auto Censor. This was brought to our attention and was cured by fine tuning the Auto Censor list. Scunthorpe was another word that the Auto Censor took a dislike to at first. As you can see from the above neither Wogan nor Scunthorpe get pulled anymore. When adding something to the Auto Censor we don’t always think of everything that could be inadvertently pulled, but when something is pointed out as having been wrongly zb’d we can usually rectify the situation.

This could be the situation in this case and if you could point out the thread in question we may be able to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately there is no getting around the need for the Auto Censor as we do not have the time or resources to have someone monitoring the board 24/7.

I have just trailed back through all of Roadhog’s 138 posts and found three occasions when the Auto Censor did its work, i may have missed some I admit.

Of the three occasions, two are words that are in the censor. Both are words that you are unlikely to see in the daily papers and are words the site owners do not wish to appear on the forums,a s is their right.

The third is a word that is a mis-spelling of a four letter word that is in the censor list. It is also an Irish slang word as well as being a euphemism for the aforementioned four letter word. It usually appears on here when it is being used as a euphemism to get round the auto censor and as such it will remain in the Auto censor list.

Roadhog, if this is the word in question then may I suggest you find an alternative if you do not wish [zb] to make it look as if you were swearing in your post.

Coffeeholic:
Of the three occasions, two are words that are in the censor.

yea, I was absolutely fuming when I posted those, and had I spoken what I put, would have said them out loud, but I knew they would be edited out automatically. no excuse, but sometimes you just need to be more expressive about how you’re feeling, and I thought one or two [zb]'s would do it.

Coffeeholic:
The third is a word that is a mis-spelling of a four letter word that is in the censor list. It is also an Irish slang word as well as being a euphemism for the aforementioned four letter word. It usually appears on here when it is being used as a euphemism to get round the auto censor and as such it will remain in the Auto censor list.

I didn’t know it was a word used by the irish, I just thought it was a way of letting people know what you meant to say, without causing offence.

Coffeeholic:
Roadhog, if this is the word in question then may I suggest you find an alternative if you do not wish [zb] to make it look as if you were swearing in your post.

no, this wasn’t the word. it was boswelox, a word I use at home as a substitute to [zb], so as not to offend anyone nearby. I posted, viewed my post and the word was there, looked back later and it had been [zb]'d.

now the irish slang word I can understand, if it’s used in the same way as our 4 letter ‘f’ word(although other ‘family’ forums allow it), I just can’t understand why boswelox had to be changed.

and after previewing this, it hasn’t been [zb]'d automatically. i’ll have a root around to try and find it.

its around the 5th or 6th post in the smoking ban thread. someone has changed the word for [zb] because when I logged in to view/edit post, the word wasn’t there. and if i’d put a [zb] in, it wouldn’t have been in capitals as I don’t use them as a rule online.

That wouldn’t have been Auto Censored as it isn’t in the list. One of the Mods must have seen it as an attempt to beat the auto censor, something that happens a lot, and edited it, which is their right to do so. While your word could be seen as being innocent enough, other mis-spellings to beat the Auto Censor are not and are edited as a result My take on this edit, is your word was also edited to show consistency in editing mis-spellings of words that are banned from these boards.

All I can suggest is to find another way of expressing your sentiments in future posts.

yea, I was absolutely fuming when I posted those, and had I spoken what I put, would have said them out loud, but I knew they would be edited out automatically. no excuse, but sometimes you just need to be more expressive about how you’re feeling, and I thought one or two [zb]'s would do it.

Which is one of the reasons the [zb] thing is there. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Apologies if I appear to have taken your post personally in my response, Roadhog. It was not intended that way. I guess I just get sick of the hate mail and PMs which fill my inboxes because people think that the Lucy who does a job on TruckNet is the “real me” and therefore an open target for every bit of vitriol and abuse which crosses their minds…and that the rules are 100% of my making.

For the record, the real Lucy is a driver and swears accordingly, as my friends and workmates will no doubt confirm. :blush: :wink:

Lucy:
For the record, the real Lucy is a driver and swears accordingly, as my friends and workmates will no doubt confirm. :blush: :wink:

Confirmed :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
just log into the chat room on a Saturday night (uncensored) and you will see that the “real” Lucy is one of the worst culprits for swearing :smiley: