The true cost of HGV driving

Don’t worry it’s not another ‘how much does it cost to get my licence’ question.
I’d like to share my experience and hopefully hear some of yours.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love truck driving, always have. I never get bored of pulling out of that yard on a Monday morning, wondering where I’ll end up etc. I love the lorries, the whole industry is not just a job, its an interest and maybe go as far as to say a passion. In a sense.
But if I’m honest I find myself seriously wondering how much longer I can carry on doing this for a living,and here’s why…
It’s already wrecked one relationship, weren’t married but have a son together, bought a house etc etc. now I see my son once a week, left with a mortgage and a house to run and pay for. I’m currently tramping and have been for about 14 months, I enjoy it but also need the money it brings in to keep on top of bills etc.
I have a new partner now, things are great but I have the fear that this job will ruin it, she says she’s fine with me been away etc but doesn’t stop the doubt creeping in.
Forever listening to older drivers talking about what they’ve lost due to the job,missed out on etc. I love driving and thought the answer would lie in coming home every night which in my company would be something I could change onto, but then the drop in money from night out, longer hours an so on would be too much for me to be able to do.
I’m happy with my company and wouldn’t want to leave, so what options are you left with, carry on or get out completely.
It’s getting me down to be honest, I love truck driving,trucks in general and everything that comes with it, but I’m missing out on a home life,social life, and seeing my son grow up (he lives on the next street)
This isn’t a rant or a cry for attention, I wanted to share what’s on my mind and hear the experiences of some of you lot who have been in a similar position.
Cheers
Lee

Could you not cut down on the amount of nights out you currently have say just do 3/4 nights out?

It’s cruel isn’t it? Do you live with your new partner?

If you did would her contribution to the bills etc not take the heat off you and allow you to not night out or do fewer nights out?

5RRF:
Could you not cut down on the amount of nights out you currently have say just do 3/4 nights out?

It’s an option but another issue is I live 20 mile from my yard so when I go home I not only lose night out money but also spend a tenner a day in fuel :unamused: