The TN Guests thread!

There are always plenty of Guests looking in so maybe they should have their own thread to get them started ! :wink:

Bewick:
There are always plenty of Guests looking in so maybe they should have their own thread to get them started ! :wink:

Not a bad idea in fact, at least to give feedback and comments. It could be quite illuminating.

Doeā€™s a guest not have to register to reply to a thread?

dave docwra:

I just logged out, and tried to reply to this post. It asked me for my username and password. I could not see a way of posting, without them.

dave docwra:

Correct. The guests are unregistered and are therefore unable to participate.

Rowena

I would I be a ā€œguestā€ during my look in first thing every morning, a general read through the latest posts without signing in, I guess this would be the case with some other members as well.
Oily

I stay logged in all the time at home, however when we are away in a Travelodge etc I need to log in to post which I do but then get told that I need to log in again when I have written something and attempt to post it! :unamused: So I just find it impossible to post anything when away from home, but will be shown as a ā€˜guestā€™ for perhaps a week.

Pete.

windrush:
I stay logged in all the time at home, however when we are away in a Travelodge etc I need to log in to post which I do but then get told that I need to log in again when I have written something and attempt to post it! :unamused: So I just find it impossible to post anything when away from home, but will be shown as a ā€˜guestā€™ for perhaps a week.

Pete.

I had something like this problem. Someone told me to download Tapatalk onto my phone, so I did that, and it seems to work quite well now.

[zb]
anorak:

windrush:

Pete.

I had something like this problem. Someone told me to download Tapatalk onto my phone, so I did that, and it seems to work quite well now.

Ah but I only have a laptop, my mobile is around fifteen years old so only makes/recieves calls. Quaint I know, imagine that, a phone that is just thatā€¦a phone! :open_mouth: :wink:

Pete.

Iā€™m sure that the devious Mods could probably create one ā€œopenā€ Thread for access by the Great Unwashed who circle and sniff around the edges of TN without having the courage to join as members of TNUK. Lets say they were allowed 3 posts and then they would either have to join or ā– ā– ā– ā–  off back into the swamp ! Just an idea which will probably not ā€œflyā€ but stranger things do happen occasionally----- donā€™t they ? they ? :open_mouth: Cheers B.

Oh No whereā€™s Carryfast when you need him 1 :question: a man of his intelligence, knowledge and know how would have this little matter cleared up in no time ,and we would have a full understanding of matters Bandwidth and where the peak performance actually occurs, then our Guests would be posting in no time! :laughing:

Oh no what have i doneā€¦ :unamused: Matron pass the tin hat! :smiley:

E.W.

Looking at some posts, ā€œguessedā€ would be a fair description.

EW car truck & bus:
Oh No whereā€™s Carryfast when you need him 1 :question: a man of his intelligence, knowledge and know how would have this little matter cleared up in no time ,and we would have a full understanding of matters Bandwidth and where the peak performance actually occurs, then our Guests would be posting in no time! :laughing:

Oh no what have i doneā€¦ :unamused: Matron pass the tin hat! :smiley:

E.W.

Give the poor lad a chance E.W! :unamused: He is still battling with designing the engine for Dennisā€™s (Bewick) alleged new supertruck. Not looked in for a while but I think it may have a VW Beetle engine but I could have got that wrong? :confused: At least Ramone and Anorak are still sticking with it, they must be masochists! :open_mouth: I suppose that when the engine is finally sorted he will then move onto sorting out the Covid problem so this thread will be well down his list of prorities. :neutral_face:

Pete.

Bewick:
Iā€™m sure that the devious Mods could probably create one ā€œopenā€ Thread for access by the Great Unwashed who circle and sniff around the edges of TN without having the courage to join as members of TNUK. Lets say they were allowed 3 posts and then they would either have to join or ā– ā– ā– ā–  off back into the swamp ! Just an idea which will probably not ā€œflyā€ but stranger things do happen occasionally----- donā€™t they ? they ? :open_mouth: Cheers B.

Great unwashed? Swamp? Bit harsh Bewick! I think the three posts, or even one, would be a good idea. Speaking from experience - I have been a guest for about the last two years but joined only recently. Why? Well apart from paraphrasing Grouchoā€™s famous line of ā€˜I wouldnā€™t want to be a member of a club that would accept me as a memberā€™ it was purely time. Once you are accepted through the doors of this hallowed firmament, it is very addictive. Superb threads like Ashā€™s and Dean Bā€™s have me at my desk for so long Iā€™m having to have timed sessions so I get a break or two in! Good job Iā€™m on a log book. I think if it was highlighted that you joining doesnā€™t necessarily mean you have to contribute but at least you could explore the whole site, then that might clarify things and attract more to take part? Has to be said that its not the easiest site to to navigate if youā€™re of a certain level of tech savviness; meant respectfully.

Tangent - I used to rent some land in Makin Metal Powders in Rochdale. One of yours parked there at weekends as well Bewick. Six wheel rigid Scania 92, then 93. Driven by Dave if I recall, always immaculate and well sheeted. Nice chap, a proper lorry driver. Regards, Paul.

oiltreader:
I would I be a ā€œguestā€ during my look in first thing every morning, a general read through the latest posts without signing in, I guess this would be the case with some other members as well.
Oily

Hear hear Oily, always looking forward to see the latest ā€œdevelopmentsā€ in the CF engineering thread first thing in the morning whilst having brekkie :wink:

Camion Stew:

Bewick:

Great unwashed? Swamp? Bit harsh Bewick! I think the three posts, or even one, would be a good idea. Speaking from experience - I have been a guest for about the last two years but joined only recently. Why? Well apart from paraphrasing Grouchoā€™s famous line of ā€˜I wouldnā€™t want to be a member of a club that would accept me as a memberā€™ it was purely time. Once you are accepted through the doors of this hallowed firmament, it is very addictive. Superb threads like Ashā€™s and Dean Bā€™s have me at my desk for so long Iā€™m having to have timed sessions so I get a break or two in! Good job Iā€™m on a log book. I think if it was highlighted that you joining doesnā€™t necessarily mean you have to contribute but at least you could explore the whole site, then that might clarify things and attract more to take part? Has to be said that its not the easiest site to to navigate if youā€™re of a certain level of tech savviness; meant respectfully.

Tangent - I used to rent some land in Makin Metal Powders in Rochdale. One of yours parked there at weekends as well Bewick. Six wheel rigid Scania 92, then 93. Driven by Dave if I recall, always immaculate and well sheeted. Nice chap, a proper lorry driver. Regards, Paul.

Hi Paul,
Dave Priestly is the Lad you mentioned, he lived in Littleborough, probably one of the finest rigid drivers you could ever come across. He had no interest in obtaining a Class 1 licence. His first motors at Bewick Transport were a day cab 92 4 wheeler followed shortly after by a sleeper cab 4 wheeler both flat platforms then it was a new ā€œHā€ reg 93 6 wheeler with 26ft long Boalloy Tautliner body. Dave could sure get through the work what a great Lad he was and a credit to both Bewick Transport and the industry in general. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick has highlighted the guest to member ratio a couple of times and the lack of contribution has seem a slow decline in the TruckNet forum as a whole. The Ex-pat section used to be a sack of vipers that no-one wanted to put their hand in; now it is a good week if it has a new post. I think the forum is long overdue a re-vamp. I am a member of other transport related forums and they have a much more pro-active and modern approach. Membership stickers and tee-shirts, regular meet and greet get togethers at shows. TruckNet hasnā€™t evolved much since it started and seems content to drift along with no stimulation. Maybe that is what some people are happy with but it looks like a slow death to me.
A simple tweak to the lay-out could give people the chance to ā€œLikeā€ or ā€œDislikeā€ a post. Thus giving the poster some reaction to their contribution and it might get a few more guests to log-in. Most forums now have this feature, often with points being scored and running totals for contributors. The forum probably doesnā€™t need badges, stickers and tee-shirts but it does need posters.

ChrisArbon:
Bewick has highlighted the guest to member ratio a couple of times and the lack of contribution has seem a slow decline in the TruckNet forum as a whole. The Ex-pat section used to be a sack of vipers that no-one wanted to put their hand in; now it is a good week if it has a new post. I think the forum is long overdue a re-vamp. I am a member of other transport related forums and they have a much more pro-active and modern approach. Membership stickers and tee-shirts, regular meet and greet get togethers at shows. TruckNet hasnā€™t evolved much since it started and seems content to drift along with no stimulation. Maybe that is what some people are happy with but it looks like a slow death to me.
A simple tweak to the lay-out could give people the chance to ā€œLikeā€ or ā€œDislikeā€ a post. Thus giving the poster some reaction to their contribution and it might get a few more guests to log-in. Most forums now have this feature, often with points being scored and running totals for contributors. The forum probably doesnā€™t need badges, stickers and tee-shirts but it does need posters.

Very well explained Chris thanks ! as I am not as articulate as your goodself :wink: ! Although I do not involve myself with other transport forums as I have never looked TBH ! My only interest is in pre mid 90ā€™s back to the 50ā€™s and the numbers of like minded members on TNUK are gradually thinning out somewhat :frowning: so I suppose eventually that section of interest will disappear eventually ! Cheers Dennis.

You canā€™t get more anonymous that we are here, obviously a username like chrisarbon doesnā€™t achieve that and we know Bewick is Lord Dennis Smith of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  windrush is Pete and Iā€™m me, but there is no need to reveal who you are, where you work or worked etc. So if guests donā€™t want to comment in order to protect their identity then how much they reveal is up to them.

No photos are required like social media and you have to click on a particular topic in order to read it, unlike a news feed on Facebook, so thereā€™s little chance of seeing things you donā€™t wish to see.

There is no racism or bigotry of any kind tolerated here, no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  or offensive images, apart from the odd picture of a Foden lol, so really thereā€™s no reason for anyone not to join, unless they just donā€™t want to.

The like/dislike feature is, on the surface a good thing, however it can also reduce comments as people just click like or dislike instead of posting a comment.

newmercman:
You canā€™t get more anonymous that we are here, obviously a username like chrisarbon doesnā€™t achieve that and we know Bewick is Lord Dennis Smith of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  windrush is Pete and Iā€™m me, but there is no need to reveal who you are, where you work or worked etc. So if guests donā€™t want to comment in order to protect their identity then how much they reveal is up to them.

No photos are required like social media and you have to click on a particular topic in order to read it, unlike a news feed on Facebook, so thereā€™s little chance of seeing things you donā€™t wish to see.

There is no racism or bigotry of any kind tolerated here, no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  or offensive images, apart from the odd picture of a Foden lol, so really thereā€™s no reason for anyone not to join, unless they just donā€™t want to.

The like/dislike feature is, on the surface a good thing, however it can also reduce comments as people just click like or dislike instead of posting a comment.

+1

IMHO the ā€˜like/dislikeā€™ is great for pre-school and infants; by the time youā€™ve got up into the juniors at 7 youā€™ve grown out of it and are bored with it. In the Junior School youā€™re taught to qualify your approval / disapproval with something vaguely intelligent. Youā€™ll notice that the TNUK version of ā€˜likeā€™ is ā€˜+1ā€™. Not that difficult.