The tax man

am pleased for all you lucky ones who got a rebate,all ive had so far is a letter with a new taxcode… :unamused: no rebate or demand that i owe,my niece however was the lucky one she had one saying they owe her over £6000… :open_mouth:

i got a £1400 tax bill,dont know how,been on paye forever,and never noticed a difference in my wages.i will enquire to find out exactly how they come to this. :frowning:

im getting a few million of a prince in nigeria in a week or so.
all i had to do was let him use my bank account for a few days so he could hide his stash from the nigerian taxman.
its true , im telling ya. :smiley:

buck rogers:
i got a £1400 tax bill,dont know how,been on paye forever,and never noticed a difference in my wages.i will enquire to find out exactly how they come to this. :frowning:

Obviously we are the mugs paying for the rebates.

How long do you get to repay that kind of amount because if i got that right now i would be struggling.

waddy640:

James Bateman:
My Mrs got a demand from the tax people yesterday,saying she owes 4K :imp:
Nice of them to send it out a few weeks before Xmas,[zb] !

So what time of the year is best for getting a bill like that?

No idea,you tell me.

buck rogers:

I watched Panorama the other night,it was about this " tax problem " some of the people interviewed who got tax bills got them written off,one chap owed £11,000 and doesn’t have to pay a sausage,I will be enquiring too about how they’ve come tmy Mrs owing £4000.

If they say you owe money, tell them their ■■■■ up and they can ■■■■ off.

Wait till they take you to court then offer £1 per week.

Thats what I will be doing if they demand money from me.

IMHO, these people try it on (oh no its the govt…I’d better pay up) If you make it clear you are going to make trouble and fight every inch of the way then they tend to move on to “easier” targets. And yes I am talking from experience here!

As far as I can work out it is my pension provider’s contractor that has used the wrong tax code, therefore they can sort it out with HMRC.

That’s handy harry…

news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Busine … ritten_Off

I got one, it was in French.

I’ve have an on-going saga with my mate NOT tax man :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: since 2005 when I was told I owed them £1,500 then they wrote again within a few weeks of receiving first notice saying I now owed £15K!!! just a slight difference! I challenged them to what was correct? and waited outcomb, I was’nt working at time of letters so had no income. I herd nothing more untill 4 years later when the baliffs visited me :open_mouth: admittedly I have been not working or had fixed abode so they could’nt find me previously but I was still a little alarmed it had esculated to such an extreme. :cry: I really have no faith at all in the tax system as while I was travelling during those 4 years I got myself a part-time job, and in my first pay packet I got quite a wedge from the tax man which is how I spose they tracked me down eventually? If I owe money then I will pay it back regardless of how long it takes, but WHY give with one hand then take back tenfold with the other. I am now paying back the original bill of now nearly £4K (their final decision on what I owe them) a mininum payment of £10.p/m due to low wage, but it is a horrible feeling hanging over my head, I dread a letter from them cos I will never trust they will give and not take back, like someone has already warned on this post, or as “Harry Oh wise one” would say don’t want to p*ss on your chips but maybe stick the money in a savings account for a couple of years then if they don’t ask again then you have a nice holiday waiting for you or whatever floats your boat? Good luck and be careful and if you can’t be careful don’t get caught!!! If only I had hindsight!!! :frowning: :frowning:

I have had two letters, one saying I owe them £13.50 another (which came a few days later) saying I will be getting a rebate of £250

I have asked them which it is, but no reply as yet!

If they say you owe them money, check they’re witthin the statue of limitations six year time window for demanding due monies, if they arn’t, find an accountant.

Big Joe:
If they say you owe them money, check they’re witthin the statue of limitations six year time window for demanding due monies, if they arn’t, find an accountant.

Thought it was 7 years as you can claim up to last 7 with interest if owed

I got in trouble with the tax man after I had an accident that laid me off work for a few years. As i was the only earner in the house, my Mrs and nipper were all part of a claim, but it was all paid to me (Mrs had to be a full time carer for me so that ruled out her working). The Tax man had ticked a box that tells the incapacity benefit folk NOT to pay any tax on my money. Had they have paid the tax, it would then have been made up by income support, so basically they take with one hand and give back with the other, pointless, but that’s how it works. Because they ticked the box, tax wasn’t paid until, you guessed it, 4 yrs later they noticed that I hadn’t paid tax during this time.They wanted a fair few quid back and the bad bit is that Income support isn’t back-claimable, even though, had they have taken the tax at the time, I would have got it back off the Inc Sup. It floored me. Years living on the minimum basic allowance (far less than my junkie bro in law gets :imp: ) and then follow it up with a big bill when you’re just starting back to work.

You will never understand just how much I hate these useless imbeciles who can and do cause mayhem by their inability to do the job they are well paid to do with no redress should they *** up, unlike drivers who don’t even have to do anything to harm someone before they get dragged over hot coals.

You maybe now understand why I would rather work for 40 sovs in the pocket than 200 through the system that then lets them have a penny of it. Sod 'em, they only seem to want to send it to some far-flung disease ridden dump so that when they are stronger they can fight the UK anyway…

This is because they all have thee own rules but dont communicate with each other but wont tell you what you are entitled to if you dont ask the right question to the right person then tough on us