The story so far.

Hello Neil and welcome to Trucknet Uk :smiley: . Interesting
read and I hope you find the right job for you.

Been browsing the forum for a while now and really enjoy the tales about driving in Europe and the problems and adventures had by all. I really am quite envious and wish I’d got my licence years ago. I’ve had my licence now for about 2 and a half years but still consider myself a newbie. I had no trouble at all finding work straight from the off but found it hard to find a job i liked. First off it was Silent Night where I got a little experience with a drag but spent most of the time carrying wardrobes etc up peoples stairs. About 5 weeks was enough for me. Then it was on to Gledinnings of Durham delivering piping for the gas board etc, I got a hiab ticket for this and the work was fine but I never quite worked out the pay and sometimes work was slack, still it was good artic experience getting in and out of some tight spots. Next i tried some European work for a company that works out of Archbolds yard at Morley. All I had to do was run to Capellan ■■? services in Lux and swap trailers with someone from Italy so never really saw much of Europe but enjoyed what I did. I fell out with this company and am still owed 5 weeks money which i won’t get now and then I sold my soul to Manpower, I have worked for Royal Mail from here which I like but the most work has been with Henderson garage doors,probably did a year here on and off and mostly class 2 work which was not what i wanted but the pay was good for N.E rates and the job easy but they changed their fleet at christmas and started pulling drags with moffats, did not fancy that at all and moved away from Hendersons. My last job with the agency was driving a 7 1/2 tonner from Newcastle airport collecting airfreight. How embarrasing this was and hope to get back into the Royal Mail soon. I did my ADR 3 weeks ago and am ready to go full time soon and hope to try Europe again but after my 1st few jobs i felt totally gutted and felt I’d wasted nearly £2000 getting the licence and thought there must be more to it than this. I hope my 1st post on he site hasn’t bored you all to sleep as i know i’m a little out of my depth here but have learnt more from drivers i’ve met on the road than anywhere else. Cheers Neil.

Hello Neil and welcome to Trucknet,

Sounds like you’ve had a few jobs that aren’t so bad! There’s definately worse out there. :wink:

Do you know exactly what job you would like? I guess a bit of focus followed by determination is the way to go but this industry isn’t overflowing with ‘good’ jobs! :cry:

Hi Marcustandy and thanks for replying, I have just put a thread on the Euro driving topic as this is what i’d like to do. I’m looking for a company/job that goes real long distance like Turkey, Greece, etc and was hoping for a few company names to chase up and was wondering if my lack of Euro experience would be a problem. Should I walk before i run or is one foreign country like another. Neil.

Best learning is ‘on the the job’ but if you do a search around these forums you will soon see that a lot of the work you are after has gone to (foreign) companies who employ cheaper drivers.

I have seen posted on here that the UK jobs pay more money than the Europ work although I dare say there will be exceptions.

Hello Neil and welcome. I think its fair to say that lots of people,myself included, get disappointed with some of the rubbish jobs out there and feel they have wasted their money but I hope you find what your looking for :slight_smile:

Welcome to Trucknet Neil, :laughing:

Welcome to TNUK.