The Pro's & Con's

My question Is:

What are the Pro’s & Con’s of Owning & Operating a Renault Premium ■■

I must admit that after driving a Demo. 460dxi for a day this time last year, I’ve become a bit of a fan of them ( :blush: )…

Thanks In advance…

Geoffo…

Volvo drivetrain at £7k less (used)

Geoffo:
My question Is:

I must admit that after driving a Demo. 460dxi for a day this time last year, I’ve become a bit of a fan of them ( :blush: )…

Thanks In advance…

Geoffo…

Personally I don think the cab is big enough for a week away in it. No storage and no flat floor which does help. 2 nights max would be enough for me!

As posted on another thread, reliability and fuel consumption compare well with other vehicles we ran, but that bl**dy awfully uncomfortable cab lets it down. Best of the bunch is probably something with at least 350 bhp and the semi-auto box. It ain’t perfect, but as long as you can put up with permanent bachache, it’s as efficient as most others for UK operation.

As a driver, I personally found them comfortable to drive all day, the only cramped bit was space to move my left foot.
I was tramping in them for a week at a time, including in cab catering, and found I had enough space for my personal gear, maybe I don’t carry as much as others and helped these days by not needing a libary of AtoZ’s. The biggest storage problem is outdoor gear, Straps, Ropes, Nets, Chains etc which I needed as I was doing a lot of flatbed work.

Compared to the old Premium, it’s got loads more grunt, (couldn’t really have any less :laughing: ) It’s quieter, smoother ride and the auto gearbox is great. I drive a Volvo XL now and of course I reckon it’s a better truck, I also have some say in what trucks we have and for the same money I’d rather get a newer cleaner Premium than an older tatier FH.

I own two on lease.

Pro… cheaper on lease than the same Scania or Volvo
better on fuel than the above
Lighter than the above
Better dealers than the above

Cons

Finish not as good as a volvo or scania’
It’s not a …

Overall i would love a premium with a volvo badge yes i am a snob!! But i will sttle with the premium being the best leased trucks that i run.

Nextdrop:
It’s not a …

Trabant?
Skoda?

we have a small fleet of 9 460dxi’s at our firm & i think they are a cracking motor.
we only have 3/4 drivers that do the odd night out in them,so they are more than up to the job.all the drivers are very happy with them.as had been said,poor room around the footwell area & not a lot of storage,but other than that,they are ok.
when run in we are getting 10mpg out of them.they are doing around 300,000 km’s a year,they have been very reliable,only problem i have had was an alternator go on a 61 plate after 3 months,was replaced & no trouble since then.
no plans to change brand at the moment,cheaper than a scania/volvo,i think there better than a merc,daf,iveco,good dealer & service,so why go else where

have ordered 2x6 wheeler hook loader renault landers with the 430 opticruise engine based on the performance of the tractor units we have.

jrl driver:
we have a small fleet of 9 460dxi’s at our firm & i think they are a cracking motor.
we only have 3/4 drivers that do the odd night out in them,so they are more than up to the job.all the drivers are very happy with them.as had been said,poor room around the footwell area & not a lot of storage,but other than that,they are ok.
when run in we are getting 10mpg out of them.they are doing around 300,000 km’s a year,they have been very reliable,only problem i have had was an alternator go on a 61 plate after 3 months,was replaced & no trouble since then.
no plans to change brand at the moment,cheaper than a scania/volvo,i think there better than a merc,daf,iveco,good dealer & service,so why go else where

have ordered 2x6 wheeler hook loader renault landers with the 430 opticruise engine based on the performance of the tractor units we have.

I’ve heard before about the ‘footwell’ problem, but would that be different In a LHD Truck ■■

As I’ve said In the opening post that I took a demo Premium (LHD) out for a day & I didn’t notice/have a problem with the footwell space…

I’m going to take this opportunity to thank everyone so far for their Input…

Geoffo…

Used they make sense. As I have said in many other posts about the Prem, it has everything you NEED. But it has nothing that you dont.

New, its a no brainer. Its a Volvo drivetrain for 20k+ less than the equivalent FH. You would be mad not to.

My full opinion as a driver, not an operator is in the Renault vs Iveco thread but the short version is Swedish Au Pair in a French Maids outfit.

Geoffo:
I’ve heard before about the ‘footwell’ problem, but would that be different In a LHD Truck ■■

As I’ve said In the opening post that I took a demo Premium (LHD) out for a day & I didn’t notice/have a problem with the footwell space…

I’m going to take this opportunity to thank everyone so far for their Input…

Geoffo…

It might be different for a LHD, the trucks are designed as that. I’m sure that the LHD gets an extra bit on the dashboard which uses the air con system to keep drink cans cool.

nsmith1180:
Swedish Au Pair in a French Maids outfit.

Now that sounds like fun, :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the footwell issue is probably only for chaps that like driving down the road doing the splits.

xfmatt:

Geoffo:
My question Is:

Thanks In advance…

Geoffo…

Personally I don think the cab is big enough for a week away in it. No storage and no flat floor which does help. 2 nights max would be enough for me!

Are You joking?