The Perils of Gas Canisters in the Cab

Here’s a video of it in realtime (sorry it’s a facebook video)

I told Rob not to try the "spicy madras with extra chilli "…

Going back about 15 years where I used work was a foreign registered truck parked on the estate was there for days didn’t move.
Eventually police were called found driver dead Inside. Turned out was caused by a leaking gas canister died of monoxide poisoning

hope no one was hurt. I take it it was one of those small blue cooking stove type canisters

cooper1203:
hope no one was hurt. I take it it was one of those small blue cooking stove type canisters

According to the post on twitter an air ambulance was required but he survived, if you look at the far right edge of the first pic an ambulance and gurney is visible

Also i think it’s a Bulgarian registered truck, they tend to use the larger calor gas type bottles for their catering like these

but usually outside the cab, he may have stored it in the side locker but if they start leaking it’s a problem, if he had it in the passenger footwell instead with a leak then…BOOM when he sparked a cigarette up

I was on my hols and another driver`s truck broke down, so he had mine out for a week. When I returned he had a go at me for singeing his eyebrows.
“I smelt gas” he said, “I thought the cooker was leaking, so I gave it the flame test”…

He thought using a match was a good way to look for a gas leak!

It worked!
OK in this case only burnt eyebrows, and not even his ego was hurt. After all, it was all my fault!

Franglais:
I was on my hols and another driver`s truck broke down, so he had mine out for a week. When I returned he had a go at me for singeing his eyebrows.
“I smelt gas” he said, “I thought the cooker was leaking, so I gave it the flame test”…

He thought using a match was a good way to look for a gas leak!

It worked!
OK in this case only burnt eyebrows, and not even his ego was hurt. After all, it was all my fault!

Back in the day when it was town gas we used to hold a ■■■ lighter to a gas fitting to see if it was leaking or not. Remember carpet fitters and all sorts would take gas fittings apart in the course of their work. Most of us survived

Sorry but i burst out laughing when i looked at the pics

Suedehead:
Sorry but i burst out laughing when i looked at the pics

Check out the video :open_mouth:

Simples, if it is your own truck buy yourself a gas alarm and monoxide alarm.

Those of us who boat/sail know about the dangers of these things.

Never had that problem with British built motors, the gas would drain out through all the holes in the floor and around the pedals.
Might be a problem on a new motor but after a couple of days it would be safe.

Reminds me of the cat story.
A cat was accidentally shut in a new Toyota Land Cruiser, on the production line, one Friday night. On the following Monday morning it was discovered, suffocated. The incident was incorporated into the advertising bumpf.
Land Rover decided to do their own studies and locked a cat in a Defender, one Friday night. On the Monday morning the cat had escaped.

Star down under.:
A cat was accidentally shut in a new Toyota Land Cruiser, on the production line, one Friday night. On the following Monday morning it was discovered, suffocated. The incident was incorporated into the advertising bumpf.
Land Rover decided to do their own studies and locked a cat in a Defender, one Friday night. On the Monday morning the cat had escaped.

If ya wanna drive into the outback, get yerself a LandRover.
If ya wanna drive back out again, get a LandCruiser.

I now own a Toyota. :smiley:

That video though… If he survived he will have bad tinnitus, hope he is ok.

Franglais:

Star down under.:

Dunno about that, my Rover has returned from many out back trips and places I was never brave/silly enough to take my Land Cruiser.
The Toyota may be OK for green laning, but for serious off roading, the Solihull product does it with comfort, style and without needing tens of thousands of dollars of modifications.
I owned Land Cruiser, it was expensive to run and maintain. It was replaced with a Discovery. After 350,000 kilometres I was so impressed, I replaced it with another Discovery, it’s even better.

Star down under.:

Franglais:

Dunno about that, my Rover has returned from many out back trips and places I was never brave/silly enough to take my Land Cruiser.
The Toyota may be OK for green laning, but for serious off roading, the Solihull product does it with comfort, style and without needing tens of thousands of dollars of modifications.
I owned Land Cruiser, it was expensive to run and maintain. It was replaced with a Discovery. After 350,000 kilometres I was so impressed, I replaced it with another Discovery, it’s even better.

We wont agree..... Ive had a Rangie and a Disco. Had them both for a few years and they were OK, both took a lot of spanner time and the Rangie needed frequent putor plug ins. 3 Shoguns (Pajero?) and I currently have a Cruiser 95 and a 75.
The latest L-Rs are very clever, but I prefer something I drive myself, not summat that does it all for me.
Reliability? L-R have had problems.
osv.ltd.uk/land-rover-reliability/

Anyway, if Toyota is something the UN and ISIS agree on, maybe that says enough? :smiley:

It’s not a proper landy (landie?) unless it’s got a red knob and a yellow knob.

WhiteTruckMan:

:smiley:

WhiteTruckMan:

youtu.be/TNqi67rHE5c

When i saw the pics, it reminded me of one of these.