the old tacho

Hiya to all to all you hardened drinkers of the big glasses and little ones
“eh” harry.To all of those who still has the white line fever.
Browsing through quite a few old tales and trucks of old speaking renewing old
freindships of long ago.There has not been a mention of the old tacho that had
6 cards fitted by the road foreman or yard man as we once called them.
Thay were fastend on the back of the cab with a small clock in the middle.
Worked on the vibration of the wagon.
But like all crafty buggers we were there is allways a way round them,
Airosol sprays had not been out long but by accident polishing the cab was must
when finding the wax sprayed on to polish the service recorder seaped through the
badly sealed recorder taking of the cheap wax on the cards (sorry bugsy you didn’t get
them wet) Bowker had them in all the wagons in the 60’s

guesty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Guesty44:
when finding the wax sprayed on to polish the service recorder seaped through the
badly sealed recorder taking of the cheap wax on the cards (sorry bugsy you didn’t get

Ah, the Servis Recorder :slight_smile: Some of the motors n the 70s had them too - I remember there being one in no.35, the last Borderer from 1975

Wasn’t there something about backing it against a tree, and leaving it ticking over, it recorded like you were travelling? Couldn’t do that today, the motor would be gone when you returned from the café!

wondercat:
Wasn’t there something about backing it against a tree, and leaving it ticking over, it recorded like you were travelling? Couldn’t do that today, the motor would be gone when you returned from the café!

That would probably be to show you had not stopped driving,whereas today a magnet on the gearbox is used to show you have stopped driving!
There has been ideas to get round technology since Adam was a lad!

bestbooties:

wondercat:

That would probably be to show you had not stopped driving,whereas today a magnet on the gearbox is used to show you have stopped driving!

We just put a piece 2x2 on the accelerater, jammed against the seat
if I remember not reving to hard.Sleeping across the bonnet was the biggest
problem. We needed plenty off falling down liquid down are necks :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Take care and stay happy. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
guesty.

You can see the service recorder on the back of the cab , they all had them in some had clocks in the middle
and some blank plates.
Not the best bit of kit at the time.

I still have a tacho at home from an old Scania 110. It has 7 cards and a blade and the cards revoved the blade cut into the next card and then the stylus started recording on that and so on until they were all used. It was also wind up and I have it in my workshop and it still tells good time today and it has been in there for 30 years

Carlc:
I still have a tacho at home from an old Scania 110. It has 7 cards and a blade and the cards revoved the blade cut into the next card and then the stylus started recording on that and so on until they were all used. It was also wind up and I have it in my workshop and it still tells good time today and it has been in there for 30 years

Hiya “carlc”
You are spot on I couldn’t remember whether it was 6-7 cards.
The last time I saw one was on a car boot many years ago never thought to get I
wish I had now.Some bowkers had brass plates on the front blanking out the clock.
Great take care.
guesty.

bestbooties:

wondercat:

Hey Bestbooties,you have right " every Jack must have his Jill" But nowadays it becomes more and more difficult.

Cheers Eric,

Got three or four of them in the shed, every so often someone who is or has restored an old moter asks if I have one and so I let them have one to finish the job off

I remember Richard Read had them in all the trucks and one of the drivers used to sort them out at weekends.The jack handle wedged onto the injector pump used to work if you left the cab of course. :slight_smile:

In the old days father worked for a London builders merchant. they had a “time and motion expert” in, very fashionable at the time. One day, he heard a noise in the left hand seatbox, and found they’d surreptitiously fitted a time recorder in there. Nothing new about the term “spy in the cab” then. He wasn’t best pleased! The jack and tools also lived in the box. So, he let the air out of one of his tyres, fitted the spare and when he threw the jack and tools back the clock that he didn’t know was there unfortunately got broken. As soon as he got back to the yard he told the fitter he’d had a puncture. A few days later he got called in to the office where he was accused of damaging company property, but they had to let him off as he didn’t know it was there did he? Nothing ever came of it.
Bernard

Guesty44:

Boot

If you slackened off one of the injectors very slightly,it caused the cab to rock,which was sensed by the cab clock,as if you were still driving,where there is a will,there’s a way!!!

David

I have heard that you could unscrew them and take them indoors and if you placed them on the top of the washing machine whilst it was going you could add several hours on allegedly :unamused: :open_mouth:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Hey, with the diaphragme fuel pomp regulator, you let iddling the engine at very low revs so the revs swinged an
the cab swinged with so you was at work. :smiley:
Have still one or two of the 7 card tachos, original of factory by Scania and Volvo so all must be changed in '77. :blush:

Eric,