The new speed limits. There may be trouble ahead

Well I’ve done 2 days training guys using the new speed limits. 60 on dual carriageways although limited to 56 caused the most problems. For years we have happily bashed along at 50 hardly ever catching anyone so overtaking is a rare experience. Not now, we had to overtake every time we went on the A12. The problem is it takes so long to get past trucks doing 52-54. The other problem is trucks overtaking us and pulling in short causing us to lift off accelerator to create the necessary gap then picking up speed again only for it to repeat time after time.

On single track roads the new 50mph limit isn’t too bad except for the approach speed to hazards and the need to start braking far earlier.

I guess new students won’t really notice the change as much as the trainers much like the 5 tonne of water rule.

Not complaining just giving you my early observations.

I trained on Thursday under the old speed limits then had 2 hours training on the new ones before test. Truck pulls a lot better when starting to climb a hill at the higher speeds on a national speed limit single carriageway.

I mentioned to the examiner before the test that all my students will be trained not to use the new speed limits as targets and will be trained drive to the conditions of the road.

Pleased to say he passed first time with me after failing with another company twice that I mentioned in another post.

Paul :smiley:

We have been training coach drivers since the 1970’s to drive at these speeds, so are quite used to it, you tend to be doing about 45mph most the time and 50mph on the long straight sections when it comes to single carriageways. Plus the auto gearboxes we run prefer 50mph, 40mph was too slow for top gear.

As our test routes don’t include any dual carriageways of any real distance, just one 300 yard section on the A64 out of Leeds we only have motorways where we have been doing up to 56mph since limiters came in years ago, so no real difference, we only generally instruct to overtake other trucks doing under 52mph unless the customer likes to get a wriggle on.

So in all, its much better, less cars desperate to overtake now we can drive at 50mph not 40mph, truck performs better and less chance the customer will exceed the national speed limit, it was very easy to exceed 40mph by mistake.

nothing to worry about lads…i’ve been driving since '79,others on here longer,when we were cruising at much faster speeds than the new limits! :smiley:

Is that why they call you carryfast-yeti ?
I expect most drivers will just keep it on the limiter all day now its 50mph on singles.
Modern trucks have such good breaking systems but still make a great big mess if you don’t throw your anchor out in time, got to love the old hands in this job and the stories they have to tell/recycle!

used to drive for Carryfast back in the '80’s TT.we had Daf’s that would trundle along at 75mph all day/night :sunglasses: still got the Irish lads in their 141 Scania’s whistling by :frowning: amongst others.these days i stick to the limit,and being able to drive at 50mph,where it is safe to do so,rather than crawl along at 40 max is so much better.

edit by c-y.those 141’s used to whistle!

The new limits make so much sense provided they are not always used as a target. The driver must use his judgement as to what the correct speed is for the prevailing road and traffic conditions.

In our particular area we have stretches of single carriageway, national speed limit, that are now so much easier. And, like Tockwith, being used to the higher limits on buses and coaches, it’s not hard to deal with.

All in all, not a big deal IMO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: