The New DAF

I hope they stop buying the new switch gear from China or wherever they are getting it from now. We have had new 69 and 70 plate CF’s and the steering wheel buttons fail after 3 months. The window and mirror switches just break in half and drop off? The 64 plate and 68 plate CF’s we have are all OK in this respect?

The digital heater / air con controller seems to have a mind of it’s own, it’s either blowing cold when it’s winter or blowing hot when it’s summer. The blower has to be going at speed 3 at least to get the cab cool and that is so loud you can’t hear the radio! I’m quite happy to drive them but I do find them annoying. I think our company has had them turned down to maximise fuel economy but you have to run at 56 to get any economy out of them, A roads all day at 50 mph is detrimental to fuel economy it seems.

I do hope they scrap the CF and we go back to the XF if that is the replacement, but I doubt we will see this new model. Our company only specs the current XF in the places they cannot attract any drivers. :laughing:

poleman:
I hope they stop buying the new switch gear from China or wherever they are getting it from now. We have had new 69 and 70 plate CF’s and the steering wheel buttons fail after 3 months. The window and mirror switches just break in half and drop off? The 64 plate and 68 plate CF’s we have are all OK in this respect?

The digital heater / air con controller seems to have a mind of it’s own, it’s either blowing cold when it’s winter or blowing hot when it’s summer. The blower has to be going at speed 3 at least to get the cab cool and that is so loud you can’t hear the radio! I’m quite happy to drive them but I do find them annoying.

So true…One of my first shifts (maybe the 2nd one) in a '70 plate the handbrake top half slid off and I was left holding it…I slipped it back on but if you don’t squeeze it before pulling the lever out (and up…) it comes off again. Heater I have the opposite issue - even if the blower is set to 1 it still blows too hard and I have to adjust the outlets individually to reduce it to an acceptable level. I get dry eyes if it’s too strong you see and then they tear up. Though I agree it’s either hot or cold, no happy medium and the temp is not accurate at all. Sometimes in the winter I have to set it to 27-28 to stop it blowing cold :stuck_out_tongue:

ETS:

switchlogic:

ETS:
Like does it actually improve on anything?

Yes

I don’t mean the marketing crap their salespeople peddle, like actual improvements. I.e. on the older ones if you wanted to change the heater temp you twisted a thing, now you push a thing and can see the temp on a display which is never correct btw - I’m sure this change did cost £££ and can be sold as ‘new and improved cab temperature controls’ or w/e but did it actually improve…

Taken to its logical conclusion we wouldn’t be on a forum because there’s no internet and we’d be driving horse and carts

Also of all the manufactures DAF is the one who is least likely to make change for changes sake, for better or worse. For instance if you could go back to late eighties and tell people the newly launched 95 cab structure would only stop being used in 2021 they’d think you mad

Although not a fan of DAF, had the pleasure of a factory visit in 97, they really are made largely by hand and with the driver in mind which astonished me tbh, I really do like their ‘core values’ making proper workhorses etc but sad to say am Scania to the bone, and will remain so till I die! Can see these doing well, even better if they drop the camera bollox.

Yes, they retained the slide out table. And added a swivel chair…

I want… I want… I want…

toonsy:
Bet it still makes that ‘da da dun da da dun’ warning sound on the dash though :laughing:

Harsh, but true … :grimacing: :laughing:

poleman:

The digital heater / air con controller seems to have a mind of it’s own, it’s either blowing cold when it’s winter or blowing hot when it’s summer. The blower has to be going at speed 3 at least to get the cab cool and that is so loud you can’t hear the radio! I’m quite happy to drive them but I do find them annoying. I think our company has had them turned down to maximise fuel economy but you have to run at 56 to get any economy out of them, A roads all day at 50 mph is detrimental to fuel economy it seems.

I do hope they scrap the CF and we go back to the XF if that is the replacement, but I doubt we will see this new model. Our company only specs the current XF in the places they cannot attract any drivers. :laughing:

This post is so true, I do like driving Daf’s but the build quality inside the cab is really poor. I hope they sort it out with the new range because they look a decent truck so it be such a shame if they ruin it with the shabby switches. Saying that we got a 69 plate man and the inside is falling to pieces.