The music thread

My mum is from the IOW, she was at the festival, she’s still really into her music, she knows a lot more of the new stuff than I do. Mind you, so does my wife, she listens to the radio, I listen to my spotify, when we’re in the car together we listen to nothing, musically, we are not compatible at all.

As a teenager I was very strict in what I loved and hated musically. Rock good, reggae and soul bad. Now I’ve grown up a bit (well I’m older,anyway) my tastes are much more eclectic.
Strangely I reckon I’m more tolerant of many things than I used to be. It ain’t compulsory for us ugly old gits to be curmudgeonly too!

Same here but the past is where the jewels are to be found,ive languished in a folk/rock groove which I have deeply enjoyed,steeleye,fairport,Drake etc and now 70s blaxploitation,funks my current boat floater,especially the funkier side of the equation.Tarrantinos many great films have pointed me in that direction.As for today,well the cupboard seems pretty ■■■■ bare to these ears.When you ponder the glories of yesteryears black music and witness its modern variant,draped in outsize jewellery,boasting of its bentley,ho requirements,al>a,jay z,kanyae…ad nauseum,its a serious insult to the past that gave us marvin,wonder,withers etc imho.
Back with axe slingers,Steve Howe of Yes is up their at the top table.Hear him at his best on Yes masterpiece “going for the one” album,especially the “parrallel” track.Sublime.

manalishi:
Same here but the past is where the jewels are to be found,ive languished in a folk/rock groove which I have deeply enjoyed,steeleye,fairport,Drake etc and now 70s blaxploitation,funks my current boat floater,especially the funkier side of the equation.Tarrantinos many great films have pointed me in that direction.As for today,well the cupboard seems pretty ■■■■ bare to these ears.When you ponder the glories of yesteryears black music and witness its modern variant,draped in outsize jewellery,boasting of its bentley,ho requirements,al>a,jay z,kanyae…ad nauseum,its a serious insult to the past that gave us marvin,wonder,withers etc imho.
Back with axe slingers,Steve Howe of Yes is up their at the top table.Hear him at his best on Yes masterpiece “going for the one” album,especially the “parrallel” track.Sublime.

youtube.com/watch?v=RIoBi1U-ASo

youtube.com/watch?v=bDnNqsy7rYE

manalishi:

youtube.com/watch?v=RIoBi1U-ASo

youtube.com/watch?v=bDnNqsy7rYE

Franglais:
As a teenager I was very strict in what I loved and hated musically. Rock good, reggae and soul bad. Now I’ve grown up a bit (well I’m older,anyway) my tastes are much more eclectic.
Strangely I reckon I’m more tolerant of many things than I used to be. It ain’t compulsory for us ugly old gits to be curmudgeonly too!

Trouble is that when I was growing up you could only like one sort of music it was much more tribal then, I liked reggae ska and Mods etc if you then turned round said Led Zepplin aren’t bad either people looked at you as if you had two heads, as John Peel said there are only two types of music good and bad.

manalishi:

there is still some good stuff being made but generally it is not on mainstream radio although the likes of Huey Morgan does play some decent music but in the main radio 1 & 2 are now just playing anything the same bland music

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Trouble is that when I was growing up you could only like one sort of music it was much more tribal then, I liked reggae ska and Mods etc if you then turned round said Led Zepplin aren’t bad either people looked at you as if you had two heads, as John Peel said there are only two types of music good and bad.

You’ve got it right there. Music was a tribal badge, a symbol of what and who you were. We/I seemed to define music we liked, by what it wasn’t as much as what it was.
John Peel playing punk rock seemed like heresy to me at the time. I am a fan of the better stuff now though.
Never did get on with some of the overly pretentious rock bands “concept album” stuff. Some of it was valid, some just guff. And the obligatory 20min drum solo…No thanks. Yes, skillfull and physically demanding, but I don’t “get it”.
But having left my teenage years, and that tribe long ago, it’s good to have no self imposed restrictions on what I can listen to.
There is another form of “snobbery” though isn’t there? It’s being in the little group that knew a band before they hit the big time. Seems to be again some form of exclusively? No one else can be “the first” can they?
Having to define oneself by excluding others doesn’t sound too healthy, really?
But that’s just me getting above myself, and showing off the research material for the PhD course I dropped out of, in order to follow my star as an 'airy arsed trucker!

Tales from Topographic oceans by yes is justifiably condemned for the bloated,pretentious ■■■■■■■ brew it is but " going for the one" very much a Rick wakeman tour de force,is my go to cd,the right environs,headphones,and alterants can engender a certain transcendence,I find, especially “awaken” and “turn of the century”,pretentious?..maybe,but that’s no crime considering the utter high calibre musicianship at play.Chris Squires bass work alone is worth the entrance price.God rest his soul.
I agree those prolonged drum solos,“the mule”,“moby ■■■■” could be a challenge,but I guess they served their purpose in the scheme of band dynamics.(back stage nose powdering…etc)
Another great cd is Bo Henssens,“Lord of the rings”,Simply a keyboard based opus imagining of Tolkiens literary work.Very popular in the late sixties among the chin stroker,toker coterie,but it’s a spooky and surreal classic of prog I recco,if not already aquainted with it.

Mazzer2:

manalishi:

there is still some good stuff being made but generally it is not on mainstream radio although the likes of Huey Morgan does play some decent music but in the main radio 1 & 2 are now just playing anything the same bland music

A station containing,Morgan,Maconie,and Mark Radcliffe only would be my idea of Nirvana.No one else needed.

manalishi:

Mazzer2:

manalishi:

A station containing,Morgan,Maconie,and Mark Radcliffe only would be my idea of Nirvana.No one else needed.

Perhaps we should start a crowd funding page :smiley: :smiley:

In the guitar side we are missing any females so far.
I’ll kick us off with Debbie Davis (played alongside Albert ‘Ice-Man’ Collins) and Rory Block (Blues with Country).
And a new one for me:
Samantha Fish.

There’s a whole new topic hereabouts too: music related books and films.
There’s the biography and biopic of course, and spme films would only be half what they are without the sound track.
And a class of it’s own “Spinal Tap”!
But I was wondering if there’s any other fans here of the late Iain Banks?
‘Espedair Street’ I read several years ago, and with it’s music background is well worth a read. Mind you all his books I’ve tried are worth a read.
I won’t spoil it but his lead character’s observation on a lead guitarist of a ‘super-group’ is still stuck in my mind now.

Any books by David Hepworth,especially his latest-‘1971’ (Never A Dull Moment) are awesome,this fella really is the real deal on the sociological elements which underscore great musical events.Absolute master of his craft.Apart from Joan Jette and the singing nun,can’t think of many lady plank-spankers,tbh :confused: …oh apart from Suzi Quatro perhaps.Slapped a mean bass if memory serves.

All time favourite book would be-Nico (songs they never play on the radio) not that i’m exactly a fan of the late singers ‘cannon of work’ exactly,just the utter,utter brilliance of the authors pithy and acerbic chronicallings of a series of hilariously funny adventures organised by a hyper-charismatic, Mancunian,impressario called Demetrius,(actually a very influential mover and shaker)- Alan Wise,who frantically tries to create a ‘buzz’ based on Nicos,oh- so- cool connections with Andy Warhol and The Velvet- Underground circa,late sixties.Problem is, by this point in the early eighties,Nico is a serious heroin addict and the whole adventure revolves around her constant need to score her fixes.
Throw into the mix a coterie of fellow musos,(assembled by Demetrius )- also with the same requirements,including cameos from John-Cooper-Clarke and ex-Velvet-John Cale and you get a series of outrageously, hilarious, bitter/sweet,narcotic-tinged adventurelets, that are totally engaging and poignant into the bargain.I must have read it a dozen times and it feels like dropping in on an old friend.
The book is jam packed with surreal vignettes of the real underbelly of rock&roll, during a period of time, when vast ammounts of extremely pure- grade- Heroin arrived on Manchesters streets and like a bee to the hive,thats exactly where the Warhol muse Nico rocked up in the ramshackled envoirons of Didsbury.
Hope iv’e not damned it with too much faint praise :slight_smile: but this ones a keeper.

Forgot to mench,author is James Young.Scandalous oversight. :unamused:

Franglais:
In the guitar side we are missing any females so far.
I’ll kick us off with Debbie Davis (played alongside Albert ‘Ice-Man’ Collins) and Rory Block (Blues with Country).
And a new one for me:
Samantha Fish.

youtube.com/watch?v=TJxkdgYUoJU

While Hamilton Bohannon was the funk music master.

youtube.com/watch?v=qIas_yxduDw

youtube.com/watch?v=mls04iVmU9o

Smokin :sunglasses: …addendum,Tina Weymouth,(talking heads).As good as it gets tbh.

Still a serious Alice Cooper fan after all these years.

Forget the well known hits that get played now and again, there’s some wonderful rock ballads and grand pieces combining the band with full orchestra, even a serious bit of church organ playing into the mix.
Most albums told a story.

youtube.com/watch?v=QptgDy8TbCM
youtube.com/watch?v=jetXrv2-fPg
youtube.com/watch?v=YveGTtadmOU
youtube.com/watch?v=fMPqRZHJqBM
youtube.com/watch?v=fMPqRZHJqBM

1 and 2, on the original vinyl were linked.
At the very least please listen to the last track, Steven, all the way through.

Much prefer these years from his recordings.

If any of you folks want a serious slice of Rock n Roll nirvana,you could do worse than acquiring The Bands-‘Last Waltz’ the absolute creme-de-la-creme of rocks high table-Neil Young,Dylan,Clapton,Van Morrison,Joni Mitchell and Neil Diamond throw some serious shapes in tribute to Bob Dylans legendary road band.Corker of a gig.What a brilliant showman/ace guitarist is Robbie Robertson,very cool bunch of guys,the Band were,it really comes across when Martin Scorcese chats backstage with them for his first big documentary pre-movie making greatness.