The music thread

Pink Floyd…
youtube.com/watch?v=8UXircX3VdM

TuckerT:
Pink Floyd…
youtube.com/watch?v=8UXircX3VdM

Floyds finest album imho.Did a vid once going over Severn bridge with the second part of s.o.y.c.d,man it was good though I say it missen :sunglasses:

Classic song, never gets old.

Ghiabox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyjMPiTgMk

All true but creedence clearwater revivals take on this one is majestic.

Just looked it up, I prefer the original.

Ghiabox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyjMPiTgMk

Some more soul. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=ppvBWIzvPvU

youtube.com/watch?v=U9BA6fFGMjI

youtube.com/watch?v=XlKeVPyjCC4

youtube.com/watch?v=w4jzaQxi_pU

youtube.com/watch?v=xwvpeYiQwss

I once watched a video of Marvin Gaye recording Heard it through the grapevine, it was just him in the studio recording the lyrics, the music was in his headphones so all you heard was him singing. Amazing.

Speaking of Marvin Gaye, he originally wanted to be a shouter, like Otis Redding, but Berry Gordy thought he would be a better crooner, so he changed his style to the one we all know. That was pure genius.

Ignore the Yorkshire part as I’m a proud Londoner, but this is a fantastic song, definitely one of my all time favourites.

youtu.be/mG6yPqcZXCY

While we’re on a Northern Soul vibe, here’s a few more classics.

youtu.be/dW66keO8Iew

youtu.be/jG700BojpH0

youtu.be/4_5BYTasNTw

Keep the faith…

How many on here play anything themselves?
I have dabbled with the guitar since I was 12 and been in a couple of bands over the years . The usual band when I was in my mid teens in the 60s/70s doing pop covers then later a nine piece jazz rock band with RAF musicians doing Blood Sweat and Tears / Chicago stuff . I still have several several guitars and because I am single I get to hang them on the lounge wall as I regard them as works of art .
My tastes vary from Bach to Blood Sweat and Tears and dips into a bit of prog rock and Metal via willie Nelson some early stuff from Vinegar Joe and Atomic Rooster .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
How many on here play anything themselves?
I have dabbled with the guitar since I was 12 and been in a couple of bands over the years . The usual band when I was in my mid teens in the 60s/70s doing pop covers then later a nine piece jazz rock band with RAF musicians doing Blood Sweat and Tears / Chicago stuff . I still have several several guitars and because I am single I get to hang them on the lounge wall as I regard them as works of art .
My tastes vary from Bach to Blood Sweat and Tears and dips into a bit of prog rock and Metal via willie Nelson some early stuff from Vinegar Joe and Atomic Rooster .

Got a nice Gibson Les Paul a while ago,complete with photograph of its manufacture in usa.(nice touch there) while not immune to the charms of Fenders fine products,i reckon the Gibbo just pips them in general,certainly on the aesthetic front,i reckon.
Finally pulled off the Page Stairway solo (taken an eternity) :slight_smile: but exceptionally satisfying as you would imagine,courtesy of a fine dvd/chord-book i had to pay for from America.Amazing you can’t aqquire one in Blighty tbh.The yanks seem to have more reverence for uk rocks,crown jewels it seems.
It’s never been easier to become a decent calibre axe-man nowadays,excellent youtube classes abound.These last years iv’e mastered Mason Williams-Classical Gas,Queens-Tie your mother down and i have my sights on Tony Polussos epic-on the Carpenters masterpiece-Goodbye to love.That one should keep me occupied for a decade or so i think its fair to say. :smiley:

Having a stroke 10 years ago and now a heart problem the medication doesn’t do the memory any good . I learn something over a couple of weeks then if I don’t play it regularly I promptly forget it !, Very frustrating.
At the moment I have a red Fender Stratocaster , a cherry red Epiphone 250 that is 48 years old and a 12 string electro acoustic which I play through a Marshall 50w combo with a toneworks processesor pedal box .I hope to add a Les Paul and 4 string bass to the wall in the future .
You are right about the online a dvd learning , if you can find the stuff that suits you it makes life very easy to learn .

I bought my youngest daughter a Les Paul for her 16th a few years ago. She still plays, but not in a band.

So while we’re talking guitars, who do you think is the best guitarist and what do think is the best solo?

I’m going with Prince and the intro to American Woman by The Guess Who.

nme.com/news/music/various- … 84-1208596

Apparently, we take less interest in new music after the age of 33. Something to do with “maturing tastes”!

Nite Owl:
People stop listening to new music at 33, study shows

Apparently, we take less interest in new music after the age of 33. Something to do with “maturing tastes”!

I genuinely think modern pop music has never been so excrebly awful as it is today,positively,satanically bad and you can’t escape it too,banks,restaurants,gp surgery waiting rooms ffs.I’ve even totally ceased with radio 2,1 year in now,due to the new modus of musical effluent infecting a once fine station.Even Ken Bruce has to play it.It really is dire what passes for music nowadays courtesy of,Gaga,Swift,Bieber et al,these people are merely Monarch programmed multiples.check out Vigilant Citizen website for the evidence.

newmercman:
I bought my youngest daughter a Les Paul for her 16th a few years ago. She still plays, but not in a band.

So while we’re talking guitars, who do you think is the best guitarist and what do think is the best solo?

Obvious one I suppose,Jimmy Page,all round genius,be it acoustic folky stuff (Thats the way),(Thank you)…The most evolved musicians,musician this planet will ever see.imho.Hendrix was faster and more " out there" certainly,but he didn’t compose much of any substance compared with Page,who incidentally was a ■■■■ fine showman.God!!, to have been at that Earls court gig they did in the seventies,still riding my raleigh chipper sadly.
I always enjoy the Doors solo ,on Light my fire,executed by the wonderous,Robbie Krieger,it’s a soulful,fairly restrained but awesome masterpiece from an overshadowed (understandably) master musician who wrote most of the bands best stuff as well.

A few to start practicing with. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=NrzqbpfKE9s

youtube.com/watch?v=08Ba_ckTkdU

youtube.com/watch?v=ymkFgXqblCs

youtube.com/watch?v=vVodWAD6h1M

Carryfast:
A few to start practicing with. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=NrzqbpfKE9s

youtube.com/watch?v=08Ba_ckTkdU

youtube.com/watch?v=ymkFgXqblCs

youtube.com/watch?v=vVodWAD6h1M

Splendid sonic sweetmeats their cf.We must always include Carlos in the axe gods pantheon,a worthy,tribute of course to the songs composer,ultra gifted,Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame.
Ditto the edge,one I’ve not encountered before.A pretty humbling revelation to be fair

newmercman:

Rory Gallagher has to be up there, from folk to rock and blues plays all excellently

I’m not a player of any musical instrument.
Can’t argue with any of the guitar players you’ve all mentioned, but would like to add Frank Zappa too. His guitar work is brilliant: crisp, clear and inventive.
Plus he was an aid in the early careers of Captain Beefheart and Alice Cooper among others.
Interesting story about him and the LSO too.
Because of his composing, political stance, and use of humour his guitar skill could be overshadowed, but forget everything else and loose yourself in Peaches En Regalia. Class.

Edit to add.
Guess I’m older than some of you, as a fifteen year old, working a summer job as a waiter in a holiday camp, we got to the IOW festival on the last night. Although I barely appreciated it at the time, I saw Jimmi Hendrix live.

Franglais:
Can’t argue with any of the guitar players you’ve all mentioned, but would like to add Frank Zappa too. His guitar work is brilliant: crisp, clear and inventive.
Plus he was an aid in the early careers of Captain Beefheart and Alice Cooper among others.
Because of his composing, political stance, and use of humour his guitar skill could be overshadowed, but forget everything else and loose yourself in Peaches En Regalia. Class.

Edit to add.
Guess I’m older than some of you, as a fifteen year old, working a summer job as a waiter in a holiday camp, we got to the IOW festival on the last night. Although I barely appreciated it at the time, I saw Jimmi Hendrix live.

Doffing mi trilby right here.That was one helluva gathering of the creme de la creme of rock aristocracy,the dvd certainly gives a good flavour of the “psychedelic concentration camp” lol, wonder what became of that berk who so appallingly perturbed the goddess Joni Mitchell.My personal highlight.My only connection to that event is being aqquainted with one of the bespectacled,great coated,“gatecrashers”…who resides now here in Ryde after decades as a carpenter,He gets interviewed alongside the dude who thought it groovy to give his 5 year old,weak doses of acid lol.
He’s chastened by his naivety over the years,how were they to know the scale of the line up they were experiencing ?you’d pay a grand for that these days.Baez,The Who,Tull,Cohen ,Dylan…strewth.

manalishi:

Franglais:

Edit to add.

Doffing mi trilby right here.That was one helluva gathering of the creme de la creme of rock aristocracy,the dvd certainly gives a good flavour of the “psychedelic concentration camp” lol, wonder what became of that berk who so appallingly perturbed the goddess Joni Mitchell.My personal highlight.My only connection to that event is being aqquainted with one of the bespectacled,great coated,“gatecrashers”…who resides now here in Ryde after decades as a carpenter,He gets interviewed alongside the dude who thought it groovy to give his 5 year old,weak doses of acid lol.
He’s chastened by his naivety over the years,how were they to know the scale of the line up they were experiencing ?you’d pay a grand for that these days.Baez,The Who,Tull,Cohen ,Dylan…strewth.

Only saw the closing acts after we did our waiting on the holidaymakers. One of the other staff had a beat up sliding door van which a buch of us piled into. Wandering around was a real eyeopener for a naif such as myself.