The moaners and groaners

I’ve noticed this forum a lately is getting filled up by threads saying the likes of “the pays crap,the hours are long,the job aint what it used to be,I wish I was doing something else” etc,etc. Well to me the people who feel this way should go and try another career path. I am not the brightest kid on here but I have a feeling you all knew what you was getting yourselfs into when you handed over your £2500+ to do your class 2 and class 1 tests it’s not rocket science to know you would be doing long hours and maybe nights out in the transport industry. I have great respect for the “old school” drivers who are on here and I bet it was a lot better in the 80s when drivers looked out for each other and people thought of you as kings of the road but unfortunately times and attitudes move on for good or bad. I wish I could have been a HGV driver in those days but with me only being a twinkle in my fathers eye until 1980 when I was born that era passed me by. There are those on here saying “I could get more stacking shelfs in Tesco!” well ■■■■ off and stack the shelfs at Tesco but don’t come back on here with ya tail between your legs moaning that you hate the mundane work,you can’t get on with the “16 year old kid with acne who keeps asking for two’s on your cig” and you miss the “open road” 6 months later. Yes this jobs has it’s bad points but I feel the good points outweigh the bad,you go to any person in work and I bet they would say they would rather be doing something else on a bad day. I agree that driving standards have changed for worse in new drivers but isn’t that a reflection on the driver training these days? and what with the H&S and DCPC crap getting shoved down new drivers throats they know no different? The grass aint always greener on the other side and you don’t realise how good what you have until it’s gone, I’ve been off nearly 6 month on the sick and I can tell you now there is nothing I would like more than pounding the tarmac all over this country looking at a different view from my office window everyday,listening to what I want on the radio and having no gaffer looking over my shoulder every 5mins than being sat in an office staring at the same 4 walls and ceiling,trying to avoid talking to the same people and being stuck in a rut doing the same thing day in day out trying to reach targets you can’t reach or as I am now sat waiting until I can get back to work in July watching ■■■■■ daytime tv earning 60 odd quid on the sick. Trucking for me is in my blood,it’s something I’ve always wanted to do,i’ve been doing it 9 year now and I hope there are many more years driving HGVS in me yet. Anyway that’s my rant over,i’m off to watch Jeremy Kyle and mark another day off on my wall until im back on the road :smiley:

PARAGRAPHS!!!

Sorry! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Sorry! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

From the heart. I agree though. :wink:

Troll?

I’m with you Steve & rarely moan about the job, it is what it is. Truckers do moan to each other in general as it breaks the ice & we usually have nothing better to talk about.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I’ve noticed this forum a lately is getting filled up by threads saying the likes of “the pays crap,the hours are long,the job aint what it used to be,I wish I was doing something else” etc,etc. Well to me the people who feel this way should go and try another career path. I am not the brightest kid on here but I have a feeling you all knew what you was getting yourselfs into when you handed over your £2500+ to do your class 2 and class 1 tests it’s not rocket science to know you would be doing long hours and maybe nights out in the transport industry. I have great respect for the “old school” drivers who are on here and I bet it was a lot better in the 80s when drivers looked out for each other and people thought of you as kings of the road but unfortunately times and attitudes move on for good or bad. I wish I could have been a HGV driver in those days but with me only being a twinkle in my fathers eye until 1980 when I was born that era passed me by. There are those on here saying “I could get more stacking shelfs in Tesco!” well ■■■■ off and stack the shelfs at Tesco but don’t come back on here with ya tail between your legs moaning that you hate the mundane work,you can’t get on with the “16 year old kid with acne who keeps asking for two’s on your cig” and you miss the “open road” 6 months later. Yes this jobs has it’s bad points but I feel the good points outweigh the bad,you go to any person in work and I bet they would say they would rather be doing something else on a bad day. I agree that driving standards have changed for worse in new drivers but isn’t that a reflection on the driver training these days? and what with the H&S and DCPC crap getting shoved down new drivers throats they know no different? The grass aint always greener on the other side and you don’t realise how good what you have until it’s gone, I’ve been off nearly 6 month on the sick and I can tell you now there is nothing I would like more than pounding the tarmac all over this country looking at a different view from my office window everyday,listening to what I want on the radio and having no gaffer looking over my shoulder every 5mins than being sat in an office staring at the same 4 walls and ceiling,trying to avoid talking to the same people and being stuck in a rut doing the same thing day in day out trying to reach targets you can’t reach or as I am now sat waiting until I can get back to work in July watching [zb] daytime tv earning 60 odd quid on the sick. Trucking for me is in my blood,it’s something I’ve always wanted to do,i’ve been doing it 9 year now and I hope there are many more years driving HGVS in me yet. Anyway that’s my rant over,i’m off to watch Jeremy Kyle and mark another day off on my wall until im back on the road :smiley:

I’ve no issues at all about them moaning or groaning about the hours,if there happy doing 40 hrs a week that’s fine by me( there are jobs within trucking that do those hours,night trunk ,supermarkets etc) ,so good luck to them,I just feel they should find jobs that work those hours rather than change every truck driving job into 40 hrs p.w job,it doesn’t suit us all.
I like as many hours as I can get,it’s all I know,I feel I’ve failed if I do 40/ 50 hrs a week,but even though I like the hours I don’t try and change the job so every one else has to do 5/6 days a week,70/80 hrs a week,I just do what suits me,that’s what they should do,do what suits them,and leave us grabbers alone :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

A lot of people on here moan because they actually remember when this was a good job and not the minefield of H&S and CPC or mobile phones, vehicle tracking etc etc. When you left the gate you were your own boss as such and not like now where if you ■■■■ it comes up on a pc screen somewhere :imp:

Steve does have a point. I am/have been one of the moaners and groaners.

The job is ■■■■, the hours are ■■■■ etc etc. Don’t want nights out, sleeping in a tin box etc.

but guess what, everytime I try something else I wind up back in a lorry cab. (Start tramping again next week, was never gonna do that again)

at the end of the day for the work we do the money isn’t that bad.

I’ve been on buses, chasing my own exhaust all day for buttons
I’ve been on coaches…■■■■-heads and schools…for buttons
I’ve been in factorys, bored out of my skull for minimum wage.

The grass may be greener on the other side but thats down to the amount of bovine excrement that is spread on it…and it still needs cutting

the fub:
A lot of people on here moan because they actually remember when this was a good job and not the minefield of H&S and CPC or mobile phones, vehicle tracking etc etc. When you left the gate you were your own boss as such and not like now where if you ■■■■ it comes up on a pc screen somewhere :imp:

So do you think that if you moan enough it will eventually revert back to the “good old days”?

Saaamon:
Troll?

I aint a troll Saaamon you should know that by my posts by now mate.

Saaamon:
Troll?

If that is your standard of evidence, definitely don’t confront the bloke who you reckon is letting your tires down!

Ok to whatever the OP said, didn’t read as I was unable to read it…

Christ. A moan about moaners!:wink:

But I agree with you Steve. After 6 months off I’d even miss the A76!

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Saaamon:
Troll?

I aint a troll Saaamon you should know that by my posts by now mate.

Lol I know, just on a wind up… Your spot on with your post!

Does my ■■■■ in when people have a laugh on here.

My moan is that I had a good easy job on agency paying £300.00 per week about 15 years ago.I rarely earn that nowadays.

I don’t think today’s drivers “Moan & Groan” about everything to do with driving as a job. You’ll probably find they “Moan & Groan” about the lack of respect and appreciation the industry has for them. Like everyone else a respect and appreciation for what you do, goes a long way to making your life easier, and happier.

Oh Happysack the A76 isny that bad I started driving a Ford Trader for Marchbanks in 63 and staying in Kirkconnel and then Sanquhar it’s been the road home for me for years. Eddie.

happysack:
Christ. A moan about moaners!:wink:

But I agree with you Steve. After 6 months off I’d even miss the A76!

Must say that is a lovely bit of road with lovely views