The life of a tanker driver

Just a few pics, and comments from the past week.

Monday morning loading cement from Ellesmere Port.
Got there at sunset.

The crane was tipping this ship

Think this delivered the crane.

Take these to Cheadle x3

Followed this on the M6 on the way back down, used to drive it every so often, and it was STEADYEDDIES regular stead. See this topic
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … t=crap+set

Been an accident at junc 21 on Mon afternoon, so glad I was going south

Tuesday morning same as yesterday. Curtainsider on Tuesday afternoon up to Leeds.
Is this French for “want a job?”

Got no pictures but WTF is going on in leeds with all the roadworks and that■■?

Wednesday morning, loaded ash at Drax power station to take to Hansons at Thatcham
It was a very quick tip and didnt even have to get any pipes out cos they were already provided.

Tired looking FH shunter.

Reload out Acton, for Ashton Keynes to tip Thurs am, was hoping to get in get loaded and get out, cos had loads of time left.

Traffic was against me. And so was everything else, drove past the site once so had to phone another driver to find out where it was, then when I got under the silo, the spout wouldnt lower so I couldnt load. As it was an unmanned site, an engineer had to come from Essex, after a 2 hour wait he finally arrived at 7.15, fixed the problem, bown fuses I think, but the plant had shut down cos you cant load after 7 at night!!! :imp: :imp: . So it looks like Im stopping here tonight then.

The offending silos

So park up and go lookig for food and beer!! :smiley: :smiley:

Found some :slight_smile: so settle down ready to watch the apprentice.

Thursday morning got loaded about 6.30, but couldnt leave until 7 cos of the lorry ban.
Coming through Swindon, whats this?

Tipped Ashton Keynes then off to Sharpness docks to load cement.

Not loading on a weigh bridge so need to use the weigh gauge

Tipped Devizes Thurs afternoon then back to Sharpness to hopefully be in time to get loaded for tomorrow am. Took some nice pics of the wiltshire countryside.

Got loaded so upto Lincoln farm truckstop cos tipping Brum in the morning.

Friday morning arrived at drop, gates not open, so waited outside, only a small place so tight to reverse into.

Shiny new Hino

Extremely quick tip, look how far it had to be blown! Barely had time to drink the brew they bought me out.

Back to Sharpness for a load to Stratford.
Got delivery notes for delivery to a farm. Got directions off another driver, but even so as I approached it thought I was gonna have a Mike-C moment!! :smiley: :smiley:

Theres the bugger!

No one about so connect to silo and make phone calls before I dare to tip.

Once tipped, nice run back home. Still cant get used to using the hard shoulder on the M42 though!

Thanks for reading, BTW Chelsea have just thrashed Man U!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

great read mate.
there are more and more of these one man band outfits turning up. normally on farms or tucked away in the back of a haulage yard. never anyone about.
there must be good money in it though, they are sprouting up like daffs in spring.

Again good pics Bug, well done m8. :wink: :wink:

brilliant diary bugcos, just wondering, how do you figure out that weigh gauge? ive got one on my tautliner but never could quite figure out how to read it

bugcos:
Coming through Swindon, whats this?

i think that is something to do with the honda factory.

excellent diary mate. some really nice pics. it would make a change if i could have a varied week like that instead of trundling muffins to london everyday!

is it a dirty job you do or is it not as bad as people (by people i mean me!) assume?

good read Mart. One day you might even do a proper days work!! :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :wink:

ref swindon pic its something to do with the motorola communications factory/offices

bugcos:

I bet you were going to that place on Cross Green Industrial Estate(?). The works there are all part of the East Leeds super road thingy that’s going to link the A1/M1 link road to Leeds centre and the industrial estate. Our yard is on that estate too.

I keep looking out for you mate, but there’s so many trucks with the Tarmac logo around that area, it’s nigh-on impossible! Look for my 06 reg FM with a Shrek standing on the dash and give me a wave!

Excellent post again mate, keep 'em coming!

Shrek:

bugcos:

I bet you were going to that place on Cross Green Industrial Estate(?).

Was going to the carpet place behind Macfarlanes, mate, will keep me peepers peeled for you mate

beattun:
brilliant diary bugcos, just wondering, how do you figure out that weigh gauge? ive got one on my tautliner but never could quite figure out how to read it

Carefully is the answer :laughing: It’s a case of noting what it reads when you know it’s just under max weight on a weighbridge then you can gauge the weight if you need to load elsewhere without a bridge.

Very hit and miss as it doesn’t keep up so to speak as you load a tanker so if it reads 4.5bar at max weight then I stop it about 4 bar - luckily we no longer go to the only place we had to use it, many a time I wound up 2 or 3 ton overweight.

beattun:

To be honest mate, I only know the positions for full and empty, just below 1 bar for empty, and bang on 5 bar for 44 tonne. Although only had to load 25 tonne the other day so had to get it just over 4 bar for that. The gauge is no good if you are not on a flat surface tho

Giblsa:
is it a dirty job you do or is it not as bad as people (by people i mean me!) assume?

Can be dirty, but as I get more used to it, am staying cleaner, just make sure that I keep my work stuff in the side locker, so the cab stays clean inside, cos at the end of the day its where I have to live!

greasemonkey:
good read Mart. One day you might even do a proper days work!! :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :wink:

Ok GM BTW do you check the top bunk on vehicles these days when you tilt the cab LOL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice diary and pics,you get about a bit.

nice one :laughing: