The humble Ford D series

fredm:
I did there was a small driving school in leyton cannot recall the name might have been estate driving school or something like that , the instructor was an old rocker DA haircut an all I used to do a 2 hour lesson once or twice a week in the evening that cost £10 per lesson this was 1976 or 77 cant recall, on each lesson we would end up in commercial road and get these seriously spicy kebabs from a pakistani cafe,I did a long day at north weald airstrip to get the reversing right I could not turn my head the next day having spent hours looking rearwards, happy days fredm

I did too. D Series with a 28ft trailer.
I passed my HGV Class1 test in July 1984 just a week after my 21st birthday, the driving school was somewhere off Abbey Road, Stratford next to the British Rail Marshalling Yard. I used to do my lessons after work, I had five, we used to make our way across to Hoxton and practice on the small roundabout on Downham Rd N1. Then I would get a bit of extra time in the yard, getting the reversing down pat.
Passed first time.
A few years before that I used to drive one that was a breakdown truck when I was a fitter at Twyford Commercial on Evelyn Street, Deptford SE8.
GS.

W Thomas and Co was the body builder from West Bromwich,

Oldham Street in Manchester.

Lime Street Colne.

Ellesmere Port.

Moseley near Birmingham.

IMG_20180612_065727.jpg

Never seen an air cleaner top like that on the six wheeler in the ford advert pete!!

bazztrucker:
Never seen an air cleaner top like that on the six wheeler in the ford advert pete!!

Hi Bazz,
I think it may be for the Austrailian or NZ market, judging by the orange marker lights on top of the cab and that heavy duty pre cleaner on the air filter stack?

Hi Pete. Hope you have a lot more of these great photos of the Ford D Series. They are Brilliant. Thank you.