The humble Ford D series

A few more street scenes showing Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester with plenty going on to get your eyes working.
Click on any image to view full size

loving these old sreet pics, reminds me of all the cars i saw when travelling in me dad’s lorry as a kid. also once again majority of car’s and lorries british built. is that a commer karrier behind the D series ?. thank’s for posting mml.

SATINEX , THAT RINGS A BELL FROM OUR NECK OF THE WOODS WERE ALL RED THEN TAKEN OVER BY MODO THEN PAINTED BLUE AND WHITE , ALL THE DRIVERS IN THE ARIA DROVE FOR THEM , JUST A BIT OF USELESS INFO , CHEERS BARRY

m.a.n rules:
loving these old sreet pics, reminds me of all the cars i saw when travelling in me dad’s lorry as a kid. also once again majority of car’s and lorries british built. is that a commer karrier behind the D series ?. thank’s for posting mml.

Pleased you like them.

The vehicle behind the Ford ‘D’ Series is a Karrier Bantam made by the Rootes Group and operated by Craigmillar Creamery.

Another Ford ‘D’ Series this time a D1000 operated by Mr Kipling Cakes parked at the rear of the bakery at Sharston Nr Manchester.

that look’s like a ford corsair next to it. the D series also hold’s a fond memory as it was the first lorry i had as a 19 year old starting out(7.5 t) and then two years later passing my class 1 in one.

Both those Fords have the original West Coast or AKA Western style mirrors that were fitted to the early models, although not that wide any mirror larger than the current trend of the time was welcome by drivers, it took a while before UK manufacturers switched on to the importance drivers placed on having decent mirrors especially for tractor units. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Both those Fords have the original West Coast or AKA Western style mirrors that were fitted to the early models, although not that wide any mirror larger than the current trend of the time was welcome by drivers, it took a while before UK manufacturers switched on to the importance drivers placed on having decent mirrors especially for tractor units. Franky.

IIRC the “Western” mirrors were an optional extra but they were great, far better than the poxy little mirrors that were common in the 60’s ! Cheers Bewick.

rastone:

Ste46:
1968 ■■■■■■■ V8 24 tonner which I drove from 1970 onwards for a couple of years.

Steve

Steve

Didn’t I send you a cleaned up pcture of the side view by the tanks

Tony

Hi Tony - you did indeed.
That one IS yours, the original is very fuzzy and scratched!

Steve

A 1967 registered Ford ‘D’ Series operated by Oliver Ashworth (Bury) Ltd.
Notice the slight contrast in style with the Austin FG :smiley:

Mirfield 1969 a-001.jpg

Mirfield 1969-001.jpgHuddersfield Road Mirfield near Dewsbury 1969.

Ford D series.

Click on pages twice to read.

A bit of a coming together on the High Street.

moomooland:
0 A bit of a coming together on the High Street.

Old boy McDonald was “rung out to dry” by the local constabulary. Charged with attempted murder and causing an obstruction on the Queens highway :laughing:

love the National Carriers pic! :smiley: brings back memories driving those in my very first HGV days.
perhaps i should restore one for my retirement!

Frankydobo:

On all the models Western Mirrors were an optional extra

Tony

We had a few D series
1 D800 12 tonner MBK 155 G
My 1st lorry
D 500 NNO 314 C
D 500 XTR 37 J
D 0710 VEH 683 S
D 0710 MBK 275 G

regards
Jeremy

Ford D Series tipper Reg No ALH 344H heading West along Market Street Colne Lancashire.
Take a look at this exact location today here on Google Street View