The Graveyard

Retired Old ■■■■:
6bhp per tonne, if I remember correctly.

IIRC the 6BHP per ton came in about March/April 1973. Cheers Dennis.

ramone:

Bewick:
This is a circa '77 shot of our graveyard 1) ■■■■■■■ 180, 2) 180LXB 3) 150LX . Cheers Dennis.

They look in good condition Dennis , would it be more about the bhp outputs that put them to grass , didnt a minimum bhp per ton restriction come in at some point in the 70s which would make them obsolete at 32 tons ?

They were all 32 ton GVW “ramone” but had become surplus to requirements, and IIRC the Seddon had suffered a serious fire under the bonnet, the two Atkis finished their time as local shunters. Cheers Dennis.

And still the Big J/240 soldiered on………………

Retired Old ■■■■:
And still the Big J/240 soldiered on………………

And caught by the ‘gaffer’ clocking 70 + mph ‘on the slab’ as the driver had engaged that very high neutral that they were fitted with. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Digging up an old thread, but i thought this was the best place for these to go. Just seen them on a video on youtube, resting in CTM TRUCK PARKING, CALLE FRANZE LISZT, MALAGA, i wonder if anyone knows the history or reasons these have been left?

Here is the video from youtube : youtu.be/wurzSlcQWac

ahh you watch steve and his missus as well. I quite enjoy them, but bloody hell can he moan… :smiley:

bristolrob:
Digging up an old thread, but i thought this was the best place for these to go. Just seen them on a video on youtube, resting in CTM TRUCK PARKING, CALLE FRANZE LISZT, MALAGA, i wonder if anyone knows the history or reasons these have been left?

Here is the video from youtube : youtu.be/wurzSlcQWac

Probably impounded due to some illegal activity cant think what though !!

m.a.n rules:
ahh you watch steve and his missus as well. I quite enjoy them, but bloody hell can he moan… :smiley:

:laughing: he does like a good moan, but he is also funny. His videos helped me out a bit when i first started continental last year, just little things like what it looks like and how to get onto the tunnel train, what it looks like when getting off the boat in calais etc.

robthedog:

Funny you say that, a few people have commented on the video, apparently they was being used fo drug running, and have been left there. Just seems a shame, given how much those scania’s in rhd version are going for

bristolrob:

robthedog:

Funny you say that, a few people have commented on the video, apparently they was being used fo drug running, and have been left there. Just seems a shame, given how much those scania’s in rhd version are going for

Try sending the forms off to the DVLA, saying you are the new keeper of the 143. :laughing:

Bewick:
This is a circa '77 shot of our graveyard 1) ■■■■■■■ 180, 2) 180LXB 3) 150LX . Cheers Dennis.

Hi Den, hope you and Anne are both well.

If you could have kept just one of your old wagons, which one would you have chosen. …

Fergie47:

Bewick:

If you could have kept just one of your old wagons, which one would you have chosen. …

Hiya Dave! yes we are both keeping well and I trust the same goes for Liz and your good self ? If I had to choose one of those three units to have kept it would have to be the Atki on the right, nice little tractor unit ran as sweet as a nut 150LX/DB 6:600 & BDR axle. But those three joined the fleet second hand so if I really was making a choice it would be probably have been between these two units , the Atki had the 205 ■■■■■■■■■■■ 610/BDR axle and was as smooth as silk compared to other similar units on the fleet and my other choice would be the ERF “A” series that went into service Jan '76 180LXB/Fuller 609/D85 axle what a smooth motor that one was and they were both a pleasure to drive ! There were one or two others but I haven’t enough room in “the barn” ! Regards to you both Dennis.

Bewick:

Fergie47:

Bewick:

Hiya Dave! yes we are both keeping well and I trust the same goes for Liz and your good self ? If I had to choose one of those three units to have kept it would have to be the Atki on the right, nice little tractor unit ran as sweet as a nut 150LX/DB 6:600 & BDR axle. But those three joined the fleet second hand so if I really was making a choice it would be probably have been between these two units , the Atki had the 205 ■■■■■■■■■■■ 610/BDR axle and was as smooth as silk compared to other similar units on the fleet and my other choice would be the ERF “A” series that went into service Jan '76 180LXB/Fuller 609/D85 axle what a smooth motor that one was and they were both a pleasure to drive ! There were one or two others but I haven’t enough room in “the barn” ! Regards to you both Dennis.

Cheers Den…we’re both fine here thanks…

The Atkinson certainly looks the business for the period, but of all your motors I would have chosen the Magnum, it looked stunning in your colours and sign written up, because most of them, especially over here, are just plain…but then I’m biased I guess…for me living here it’d be cheaper for spare parts too. … :unamused:
What happened to them, did they get sold on as runners, or did they go to the big scrapyard in the sky …?

Hiya Dave, IIRC they all got weighed in for scrap and the two Gardners ( 180 &150) went for export so I bet they will still be operated by a couple of Slope Heads in the Meekong delta ! :sunglasses: However the Magnums are too new for me to ever consider preservation but ,of course, I can say that I was never sentimental about disposing of surplus units as they were tools of my trade and “cashable assets” always in demand. ! I never sold trailers though only built up the trailer fleet as the firm grew. Trailers had an infinite life if they were maintained properly so in later years I had numerous York and C/Fruehauf 40ft tandems anywhere up to 20 years old still giving faultless service as we had much of our traffic operating at no more than 20/22 ton payloads. Happy days ! Regards Dennis.

An ex K Transport Services from West Midlands, found it’s way up to an airfield in ■■■■■■■■

robroy:
An ex K Transport Services from West Midlands, found it’s way up to an airfield in ■■■■■■■■

Pity that the old girl looks so worn out…

Took this picture yesterday at a in a yard at Bacup.
It is Atkinson Searcher Reg No RTD 813M which was new to W. Partington & Son Ltd of Coppull, in November 1973.
On the road until February 1999 during the 1990’s a fourth axle was added after it had been sold on to an operator in the Fylde area.

Bacup-001.jpg

All off to their new homes, at Tilbury docks

IMG_1CFBFC90DBE0-1.jpeg

Southern beauty

IMG_3C1BC8BCC9E8-1.jpeg