The famous "Dolly Knot"

Me again

I know it’s not used much these days but can come up on my Mod 4 cpc and so there is a chance I will need to demonstrate it plus, it may come in handy for other things etc. I’m using some rope and tying it over my lounge door (outside handle, over the top and tied on inside handle - don’t tell the wife)

I have cracked the knot no problem but wondered if there was a special way or specific knot that will hold it all in place once you’ve put tension on it, obviously the dolly knot is more of a levering device and so will relax when I let go of it.

What kind of knot would I need to tie it off

Cheers
Adam

a hitch?

I think it’s sometimes called a truckers hitch, however, when I YouTube it, they seem to be tied differently although the principle is the same.

Adam27:
Me again

I know it’s not used much these days but can come up on my Mod 4 cpc and so there is a chance I will need to demonstrate it plus, it may come in handy for other things etc. I’m using some rope and tying it over my lounge door (outside handle, over the top and tied on inside handle - don’t tell the wife)

I have cracked the knot no problem but wondered if there was a special way or specific knot that will hold it all in place once you’ve put tension on it, obviously the dolly knot is more of a levering device and so will relax when I let go of it.

Cheers
Adam

Once you’ve done the knot on you make a loop (or two) on the hook and that holds it in place, thats what i was shown anyways, but I’ve also been told on the testing rig they have for restraints at the test centre health and safety says they’re not allowed a hook, so although you can demonstrate a dolly knot you can’t technically finish it off.

Wether it’s true or not is another matter, but in this h&s mad society it wouldn’t suprise me in the slightest

:slight_smile:

DO NOT SAY ROPE on the mod 4 test - always choose strap

That way you will never have to demo it

To elaborate on ROG’s correct statement, what happens on the Mod 4 test is that you will have the demo trolley with 4 restraining devices: rope, strap, chain, loadlock bar. If asked what you would use to restrain palletised paper, the answer you should give is STRAP. Then you will have to demonstrate the use of the strap. If, foolishly, you say ROPE, I’ll leave it your imagination!

Not all Mod 4 tests even include the use of the trolley.

When selecting your trainer, ask if they have the DSA spec trolley and equipment. It seems that not many do. Which leads to surprises on test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Adam27:
Me again

Cheers
Adam

Just for a laugh, try a double dolly on the door handles & pull hard, then don’t tell the wife !

martinviking:
Just for a laugh, try a double dolly on the door handles & pull hard, then don’t tell the wife !

He’ll be needing this link after though www.diy.com :wink:

Cheers guys, yes they have a test rig and all the gubbins, I just wanted to learn about the knot. It might be handy when tying a couch on the top of a mini :wink: - I will say strap if the question arises …nearly put kisses on the of that lol

I’ve worked with more than a few who don’t know the correct way to load a strap up. So nice when they leave them all tangled in the back of a trailer to sort out.

lefkasman:
I’ve worked with more than a few who don’t know the correct way to load a strap up. So nice when they leave them all tangled in the back of a trailer to sort out.

Ha ha & when they leave the ropes full of knots.