The Driver Shortage, some sensible statistics

I’m a big fan of Radio 4, especially the podcasts. They have a show called More or Less, which gives you the underlying stories behind the headline grabbing statistics that get used and abused - don’t judge too harshly in advance, the presenters do make numbers interesting listening. Some of you might be entertained by their recent show which discusses the statistics for the driver shortage

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09tpk7c

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Not listened to it, it’s the lefty, woke British Bullshining Corporation.
I don’t believe anything that is broadcast by that shower of ■■■■.

I heard an expert on the subject the other day on chan 4., I think, he said it takes 9 months to train a lgv driver ,he thought it was simple just train more drivers.I have been doing it 40 years ,I learned it all in 9 months …the stupid fool :imp:

Thanks for the link.
Nice to be able to download something from the BBC (which I dislike) without having a licence.

The truck bit starts 11:30 & finishes at 17:21 if anybody wants to jump straight to it.

It is clear there is a shortage of drivers as companies would not be competing on price if there was not.
It does suggest the shortage could be settled a lot quicker than expected though considering 60K of the 100K figure is from RHA industry feedback & for years at a 50K ‘shortage’ the wages were going down.

there is no shortage in a free market capitalism system, only supply vs demand, with floating prices being the balancing agent between these two variables.
A “shortage” therefore can only be considered as such, if the aim is price suppression.

Zac_A:
I’m a big fan of Radio 4, especially the podcasts. They have a show called More or Less, which gives you the underlying stories behind the headline grabbing statistics that get used and abused - don’t judge too harshly in advance, the presenters do make numbers interesting listening. Some of you might be entertained by their recent show which discusses the statistics for the driver shortage

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09tpk7c

Interesting programme.

There was also a final spot explaining how Mr Spock on Star Trek makes very precise predictions that are wrong most of the time!

Spock must have been the RHA rep on the starship Enterprise! :laughing:

One of the few programmes listen to on R4. It’s gone mostly downhill.