The DL25 Test Report Explained -Junctions - Observation

Continuing on with this series of explanations into the DL25 this is a Very Important element to understand. Firstly for Observation to be marked, your vehicle MUST have crossed the white give way line. Any faults before this point will be marked elsewhere on the sheet for example approach speed or turning left / right or road markings etc.

Observation doesn’t mean you didn’t see another vehicle, it means you didn’t take effective observation and act correctly on what you did see. It happens regularly at roundabouts where a candidate thinks there is enough room to pull out in front of a vehicle already coming round. If you pull out and there is no other vehicle visible whatever happens after, you should not be marked. Examiners will make an assessment based on what could be seen at the moment you choose to go. Of course it’s not only roundabouts, it can just as easily be at a give way or Stop sign at any road junction.

So what needs to happen to get marked? As always there are 5 levels of fault:-

No Fault - Your action has no effect whatsoever on another vehicle
Not worth of recording - There is a vehicle visible but your action causes absolute minimal effect to the other road user
Driving Fault - Its possible the other driver needed to lift off the accelerator to allow you to clear his path but there was just about enough space
Serious Fault - The other driver clearly had to brake or change direction to avoid you
Dangerous Fault - There is a high possibility of a collision and may need the examiner to take verbal or Physical action to prevent it happening

So crossing the give way line is the point of no return, the commitment point. It can’t be undone. Before crossing that line with your vehicle you must be absolutely sure that you wont fall into the last 2 levels above. If you are not sure then don’t go. Many candidates worry about getting marked for Progress or undue hesitation but it is extremely rare to receive a serious mark for either based on just 1 situation.

Approach speed is often the underlying root of the problem because the candidate is reluctant to stop from a high speed and can easily misjudge the time it takes to get a LGV vehicle clear of the situation.

In my experience this is the NUMBER 1 cause of test failure but it’s not really that difficult. If you can see another vehicle approaching don’t cross the white line.

Hope this helps a few people.

Excellent John, you really do know your stuff.

Top fella. :smiley:

Thanks for another cracking update, John!

I tend to (in my car) pull up to junctions pretty gently. If everything goes according to plan (LOL!) I’ve come off the brakes and am in 2nd and the car is just pulling itself the last 20 feet on the idle up to the line. This gives me a fair time to observe and decide if I need to stop or I can go.

^ Would that seem too cautious, like you were saying?

When it comes to deciding to pull away, I’m a slowcoach anyway, but I’ve been paying attention whenever I stop behind a lorry - how quickly does it accelerate?.. as quick, or quicker as I choose to, basically! Then trying to replicate that (though my car is just a smidge shorter than a truck :laughing: ).

(I am aware an AMT equipped lorry won’t pull itself on the idle, but I’m guessing the extra momentum will do the job instead).

Also, yes, I didn’t give myself this nickname :blush:

Aye John I know the exact meaning of “that point of no return” , when I was doing my class 2 in a 4 over 4 and that moment you move off to cross a duel carriageway and you’re in the wrong gear :smiley: