The Djibouti and Ethiopia trucking scene

Hi Robert, Did you get a glimpse of the ferry (rust bucket) the drivers would be departing on, without their trucks?

Sorry, the one I was thinking is the non locals one which runs out of Aswan.

Dave.

dave docwra:
Hi Robert, Did you get a glimpse of the ferry (rust bucket) the drivers would be departing on, without their trucks?

Sorry, the one I was thinking is the non locals one which runs out of Aswan.

Dave.

No I didn’t! Strangely enough, the lorries queue at Abu Simbel for a ferry to take them to the far bank of Lake Nasser but still within Egypt. It is from there that they strike south to the Sudanese border at Wadi Halfa. Robert

Incidentally, I was sailing up the Nile in a lateen-sailed dahabiyya which required the services of an attendant tug from time to time when the wind didn’t suit us! The tug was fitted with an engine from a Scania 112 and it sounded as sweet as a nut. I rode on the tug for a little while and listened to the engine and cast my mind back to driving the old 112s abroad. The pictures below show the dahabiyya, the tug, the Scania motor and a Nile scene in Luxor. Cheers, Robert

DSCF6186.JPG
DSCF6237.JPG

I’ve just realised that I should have added my posts above about lorries queueing for Sudan, to my thread about the Sudan trucking scene. For those interested, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=120040&hilit=sudan

Robert

robert1952:
I’ve just returned from escaping xmas with a slow glide up the Nile on a dahabiyya under sail (a bit like a large felucca). I took these pictures of lorries parked up in Abu Simbel, waiting to cross over Lake Nasser to Wadi Khalfa for their onward journey southwards into Sudan. Robert

Blimey Robert, I don’t like turkey either so I get the Mrs to buy beef instead for Christmas dinner.

Lame humour aside, they are fantastic photos, they set such an evocative scene. :wink:

Quite a different world eh? Cheers for sharing mate! And your spot on about those Scanny 6 potter engines, always reckoned that they’d sounded much more better than the 8 potters…

pv83:
Quite a different world eh? Cheers for sharing mate! And your spot on about those Scanny 6 potter engines, always reckoned that they’d sounded much more better than the 8 potters…

On tick-over, yes I agree (and I’ve always preferred a straight-six) :sunglasses: but the sound of a Scanni V8 in tunnels always brought out the lad in me and I’d wind the window down to hear the music! :laughing: . Robert

Bumped up for ‘PV83’

Intresting stuff Robert ! Found a small piece about Ghana from 1977 that may intrest you.
(Clck on pages twice to magnify)

ERF-NGC-European:
Bumped up for ‘PV83’

Cheers Robert! I somewhat forgot about this thread… :blush:
Do you want me to repost the pic’s on here?

Cheers, Patrick

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
Bumped up for ‘PV83’

Cheers Robert! I somewhat forgot about this thread… :blush:
Do you want me to repost the pic’s on here?

Cheers, Patrick

No worries, I was just keeping the awareness going! The easiest way is for me to give the link here, for people to cross-reference; :sunglasses: so here is the link to your Ethiopian trucking piece on the ‘Saviem’ thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109317&start=5520

:smiley: Robert