The Djibouti and Ethiopia trucking scene

ChrisArbon:
Very interesting photos. Thank you, Robert, for posting. My favorite is the no-nonsense blue car-transporter with the red Stralis.

Thank you. I liked that one too - if only the otherwise excellent Stralis didn’t have that maddening Eurotronic transmission! Robert

John West:
The Chinese are coming!

The son of a friend from Saudi days has exclusive UK rights to import ‘FAW’ trucks.
■■■■■■■■ Fuller, Rockwell.

Well built, comfortable cab…

But… So much cheaper.

John

Well, they do look tempting but from what (little) I gather the drive-line is mostly reverse-engineered and not nearly as robust as the real thing. If anyone can prove me wrong on this, I’d be delighted! Robert

robert1952:

John West:
The Chinese are coming!

The son of a friend from Saudi days has exclusive UK rights to import ‘FAW’ trucks.

But… So much cheaper.

John

Well, they do look tempting but from what (little) I gather the drive-line is mostly reverse-engineered and not nearly as robust as the real thing. If anyone can prove me wrong on this, I’d be delighted! Robert

Their website does not mention anything about ■■■■■■■ etc. It appears that all the bits are “in-house”. If they are copies, I hope the company fails! The worrying thing is that these cheap cheats are making inroads into easy markets like Africa, cutting off a source of income for the decent Euro firms, who invest in progress, rather than just flogging knock-off designs.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

John West:
The Chinese are coming!

But… So much cheaper.

John

Their website does not mention anything about ■■■■■■■ etc. It appears that all the bits are “in-house”. If they are copies, I hope the company fails! The worrying thing is that these cheap cheats are making inroads into easy markets like Africa, cutting off a source of income for the decent Euro firms, who invest in progress, rather than just flogging knock-off designs.

Exactly. Howo et al used to call the gearbox an RT9095 (or whatever) but not mention the word ‘Fuller’. I also suspect that reverse-engineered 'boxes are going in lorries like the Libya-truck (Ivecos built vaguely under licence) and other 3rd-world manufacturers with acquired obselete tooling from Europe. Robert

robert1952:
I have just returned from spending a couple of weeks exploring remote areas in the countries of Djibouti and Ethiopia in east Africa. Most of the time was spent way off the beaten track, but I did manage to get a few happy snaps to give you an impression of the trucking scene there. Temperatures were in the 40s C, so it’s a bit chilly coming back here!

I’ll start off with the Djibouti ones. Robert

Hi Robert

Djibouti
I have not been there but my brotherinlaw worked there for 6 yeRs running the UN WFPG operation into Ethiopa - overseeing the redevelopment of the port/warehousing and new road into Ethopia he is currently in Beruit running a safety corridor into Syria for the UN moving aid!!
Coming to trucks and Sudan - whilst in Khartoum trying to set up a Trans Sudan and staying in the Khartoum Hilton !!! Their was a contingent frm Leyland trucks setting up an exhibition for Leyland a Trucks - could not resist a look!! Well it was a farce - they trying to launch a W20 or such a 16 ton rigid -
They had the truck minus engine and gearbox!! They had towed it from Port Sudan, the ringer etc was being flown in a would be fitted on site - yes it happen but nobody had really done their research on the market and what truck spec was required. For instance the tank did was about 40gallons - this was in a country that you did lond distances and had to carry copice amounts of fuel with you
To say the least the exhibition was a flop and the locals thought the truck to be a joke - was this typical of our manufacturers ■■

We were spacing Kenworth conventuals with ■■■■■■■ 14litre with fuel carrying capacity for 2500 miles ie Port Sudan/khartoumn/Kenana and back with every 5th truck pulling an ISO tank trailer with Derv as back up for local work around Khartoumn as there was little fuel available.
Iveco was very strong in the area because of Italian Govement tying with all the other surrounding countries other than Sudan

Must find my photos but cannot see how to load up

Ken Broster

Kenb:

robert1952:
I have just returned from spending a couple of weeks exploring remote areas in the countries of Djibouti and Ethiopia in east Africa. Most of the time was spent way off the beaten track, but I did manage to get a few happy snaps to give you an impression of the trucking scene there. Temperatures were in the 40s C, so it’s a bit chilly coming back here!

I’ll start off with the Djibouti ones. Robert

Hi Robert

Djibouti
I have not been there but my brotherinlaw worked there for 6 yeRs running the UN WFPG operation into Ethiopa - overseeing the redevelopment of the port/warehousing and new road into Ethopia he is currently in Beruit running a safety corridor into Syria for the UN moving aid!!
Coming to trucks and Sudan - whilst in Khartoum trying to set up a Trans Sudan and staying in the Khartoum Hilton !!! Their was a contingent frm Leyland trucks setting up an exhibition for Leyland a Trucks - could not resist a look!! Well it was a farce - they trying to launch a W20 or such a 16 ton rigid -
They had the truck minus engine and gearbox!! They had towed it from Port Sudan, the ringer etc was being flown in a would be fitted on site - yes it happen but nobody had really done their research on the market and what truck spec was required. For instance the tank did was about 40gallons - this was in a country that you did lond distances and had to carry copice amounts of fuel with you
To say the least the exhibition was a flop and the locals thought the truck to be a joke - was this typical of our manufacturers ■■

We were spacing Kenworth conventuals with ■■■■■■■ 14litre with fuel carrying capacity for 2500 miles ie Port Sudan/khartoumn/Kenana and back with every 5th truck pulling an ISO tank trailer with Derv as back up for local work around Khartoumn as there was little fuel available.
Iveco was very strong in the area because of Italian Govement tying with all the other surrounding countries other than Sudan

Must find my photos but cannot see how to load up

Ken Broster

A fascinating post, Ken! I think most manufacturers gave patchy service in the less developed countries. I suspect that it was often down to the individuals in the field: Leyland certainly had a gifted hands-on trouble-shooter in Pat Kennett in the '60s.

BTW, I’ve just found another couple of pictures I took in the Ethiopian deserts (below). Robert

Well you certainly get about Robert, there are some great pics there. Could I ask, did you have security at all? Was it a group tour or were you travelling alone? Given the madness that seems to be enveloping that part of the world, the whole Central / North Africa / Middle East area, were you not a risk? Great stuff though!!

bullitt:
Well you certainly get about Robert, there are some great pics there. Could I ask, did you have security at all? Was it a group tour or were you travelling alone? Given the madness that seems to be enveloping that part of the world, the whole Central / North Africa / Middle East area, were you not a risk? Great stuff though!!

I travelled with a small group visiting a very active volcano and some extremely remote salt caravans (trekking with camels) in the desert areas of the Danakil depression - officially the hottest place on earth, and the lowest in Africa. The area is a FCO ‘red zone’ (ie don’t go), as are other places I visit with the sharp-end tour company I use. We have special insurance and on this trip armed soldiers for the dodgiest bits. It is interesting to note that on the ‘adventure tourism’ richter-scale, this trip (which included quite a bit of ‘wild camping’) rated 9 out of 10 for adventure (for which read hardship); yet it was still easier than long-haul trucking in bad weather (hot or cold). I hadn’t the heart to tell the group this - I doubt if they would have understood! :laughing: Robert

robert1952:

bullitt:

I travelled with a small group visiting a very active volcano and some extremely remote salt caravans (trekking with camels) in the desert areas of the Danakil depression - officially the hottest place on earth, and the lowest in Africa. The area is a FCO ‘red zone’ (ie don’t go), as are other places I visit with the sharp-end tour company I use. We have special insurance and on this trip armed soldiers for the dodgiest bits. It is interesting to note that on the ‘adventure tourism’ richter-scale, this trip (which included quite a bit of ‘wild camping’) rated 9 out of 10 for adventure (for which read hardship); yet it was still easier than long-haul trucking in bad weather (hot or cold). I hadn’t the heart to tell the group this - I doubt if they would have understood! :laughing: Robert

or cared

Best move Robert, keep up with the retired teacher front, they’ll find that a lot more palatable. As we know, truckers are some thing that should be wiped off the shoe off the more deserving in our society, such as criminals :smiley:

Seriously though, when you sign for your insurance do you get a free gift, like a mearkat or an orange jump suit to your size :wink: (eddie snax would like to appoligies to those offended by any off the above comments, such as criminals)

Robert, you got a real spirit for adventure Man, it a pleasure for us that you take so many great photos along the way, thanks :wink:

eddie snax:

robert1952:

bullitt:

or cared

Best move Robert, keep up with the retired teacher front, they’ll find that a lot more palatable. As we know, truckers are some thing that should be wiped off the shoe off the more deserving in our society, such as criminals :smiley:

Seriously though, when you sign for your insurance do you get a free gift, like a mearkat or an orange jump suit to your size :wink: (eddie snax would like to appoligies to those offended by any off the above comments, such as criminals)

Robert, you got a real spirit for adventure Man, it a pleasure for us that you take so many great photos along the way, thanks :wink:

Nice response! No, you just get an inflatable spare head to slip under your pillow :laughing:

Joking aside though, I must emphasise that the people of Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti are among the most friendly and welcoming I have ever encountered. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:

eddie snax:

robert1952:

bullitt:

or cared

Nice response! No, you just get an inflatable spare head to slip under your pillow :laughing:

Joking aside though, I must emphasise that the people of Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti are among the most friendly and welcoming I have ever encountered. Robert :smiley:

Robert. Great stuff
I agree with your comments on the local people they are not into the politics of the bad stuff - just getting on with life as they have known it for hundreds of years
Where were the salt camel trains moving to and from?
Ken Broster

Kenb:
Robert. Great stuff
I agree with your comments on the local people they are not into the politics of the bad stuff - just getting on with life as they have known it for hundreds of years
Where were the salt camel trains moving to and from?
Ken Broster

The salt is mined by hand from several salt lakes including Asale, where I saw the salt being hacked out of the ground, cut into blocks and loaded onto camels. I also saw the meeting point of caravans at Ahmedela, where literally thousands of loaded camels gather. They used to travel vast distances, but now they go rather shorter distances towards Mekele where lorries are loaded. Robert

DSCF5090.JPG

DSCF5103.JPG

robert1952:
:smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

robert1952:

You have said this before, about people you’ve met on travels, whether in your time trucking or since you’ve been “touristing”, as with most of what we perceive from what we’re fed through the media, it must be taken with a large pinch off salt. The media are only interested in those that are most vocal, the noisy minority. The silent “normal” majority would be swept aside, until someone like yourself would get to meet them 1st hand. For you too have met so many people in such diverse situation, and to be able to connect to them on a one to one level is such a privelage. :smiley:

Have you written any books about your travels :question: ,and am I right in thinking you used to do articles for some off the transport magazines :question:

Just noticed that you are in the process off publishing a book :blush:

eddie snax:

robert1952:
:smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

robert1952:

You have said this before, about people you’ve met on travels, whether in your time trucking or since you’ve been “touristing”, as with most of what we perceive from what we’re fed through the media, it must be taken with a large pinch off salt. The media are only interested in those that are most vocal, the noisy minority. The silent “normal” majority would be swept aside, until someone like yourself would get to meet them 1st hand. For you too have met so many people in such diverse situation, and to be able to connect to them on a one to one level is such a privelage. :smiley:

Have you written any books about your travels :question: ,and am I right in thinking you used to do articles for some off the transport magazines :question:

Just noticed that you are in the process off publishing a book :blush:

Thank you! I used to find the Syrians among the most friendly people, both as a trucker and later as a tourist - now look at the mess they’re in.

Yes, the new book is about ERFs though. I did write a novel about the middle-East called Kamyonistan Quartet but its out of print. Yes, I used to write for the trucking press. Robert

I saw several of these artic loads of camels on the road, but didn’t get the opportunity to snap them. However, I stumbled upon a BBC piece which not only provided this picture, but explained that trailer loads of camels travel from Somalia through east Africa en route for Egypt! Presumably, then, they transit Somalia, Somaliland, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Sudan to access southern Egypt; more or less tracing some very old camel droving routes. Robert

_58576750_camelsgotomarket2.jpg

This is a great post I have really enjoyed reading the posts and lookin at the photos, I don’t suppose that I will ever visit anywhere as exotic as Djibouti and Ethiopia.

Cattle Man Stan:
This is a great post I have really enjoyed reading the posts and lookin at the photos, I don’t suppose that I will ever visit anywhere as exotic as Djibouti and Ethiopia.

This thread is like a ■■■■ mag…

They’ve both got pictures of beautiful and exotic places that you’re never likely to visit!

John

Hi Robert, Did you get a chance to visit the Ethiopian Highlands whilst on your travels.

Dave.

quote=“dave docwra”]Hi Robert, Did you get a chance to visit the Ethiopian Highlands whilst on your travels.

Dave.
[/quote]
No, that’ll have to be a future trip! I probably didn’t go higher than Mekele, having plumbed the depths of Ethiopia’s topography. Here are a couple of pics; the first shows the volcano Robert

I’ve just returned from escaping xmas with a slow glide up the Nile on a dahabiyya under sail (a bit like a large felucca). I took these pictures of lorries parked up in Abu Simbel, waiting to cross over Lake Nasser to Wadi Khalfa for their onward journey southwards into Sudan. Robert

DSCF6299.JPG
DSCF6288.JPG
DSCF6289.JPG

DSCF6300.JPG
DSCF6301.JPG
DSCF6302.JPG