The David Blunkett business

Do you think he abused his position or is he being scapegoated becuase of Labour policies? If you had his power, would you fast track a visa to someome who was valuable to your lifestyle?

Yeah I probably would if I was in a position to perks of the job ain’t it I’ve used the perks in my job before, ie borrowing company vehicles to move house and giving friends lifts because I was going that way it’s the same thing in my books.

It’s using the word “perk” though… thats the problem. I think most people take at least a little advantage of things where they work and all jobs have some sort of perk to them. When I was at work I never lacked for bandages, tylenol, cotton swabs, antibiotic ointments, ect… even sandwiches from the kitchen if I got stuck working a double shift, but it was allowed and accounted for. What he did wasn’t a perk of the job… it was using his authority for personal reasons. But under the circumstances, I don’t see much harm really. And immigration can work that way. Patrick was told it would 10 -12 months before his green card would arrive… and we got it 3 weeks later. Occasionally… and I mean very occasionally… the government can be efficient.

runaroundtel:
is he being scapegoated because of Labour policies?

No, I think it’s to his advantage, look how many Tory ministers were forced to resign over affairs when they were in government, I think that him being Labour is his strongest card.

Dazza

I have been around long enough to realise that this has nothing to do with an affair or a child custody case.

It has more to do with the next election. The 3 main parties do not have a leader so the opposition has to discredit the popular members of parliament.

There must be something in the saying that power is an aphrodisiac. It worked for David Mellor and Robin Cook

Politics: helping ugly men have perverted ■■■ since 1066

Vote Boris Johnson for Prime Minister

I wonder if he will be forced to resign like his buddy Mandelson TWICE and then be offered a cushy job in Europe?.

These guys are public servants and should act like them they are there to serve us, i wonder if Mr Blunkett will also be exempt from the CSA in this case?.

If I was in his position, I would have mentioned to someone in the right place, something along the lines of, “have a look at this one for me mate, see if you can push it through a bit sharpish”.
I wouldn’t think anything of it either. It would be a perk.
I wouldn’t have said, “Mr Whoever, get this one processed quickly”. Mind you, that isn’t my style whatever the circumstances, unless I spit my dummy out. In that case “get this one processed quickly” would be the least of their worries. :laughing:

If we had a politicians resign for accepting “perks” of the job, then we’d have none left anywhere :unamused: .

Liberace:
, then we’d have none left anywhere :unamused: .

and that’ s a problem because… :question:

Kate Hasler:
… What he did wasn’t a perk of the job… it was using his authority for personal reasons. …

Thats what the inquiry has been set up to decide Kate. I really don’t havea big problem with any one using their professional expertise or experience to help a family member or friend. While David Blunket seems to have made some nieve errors of judgment the former mistress, IMHO, has shown a quite spiteful disregard for those closest to her including her husband (continues to be humiliated), her son, and her unborn child.

Jammymutt:
These guys are public servants and should act like them they are there to serve us, i wonder if Mr Blunkett will also be exempt from the CSA in this case?.

Wasn’t it Blunketts desire to assume a parental role that has sparked so much of this furore. I wonder now how this may have affected his perception of the “Fathers 4 Justice” campaign? How different to some previous scandels with politicians denying parentage or wanting to disown their offspring.

Wiretwister, there is a big difference between someone making some "naïve errors of judgement” and someone conducting an inquiry into himself this is like an episode of “Yes Prime Minister.”

He’s not naïve, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Dazza

Wiretwister, there is a big difference between someone making some "naïve errors of judgement” and someone conducting an inquiry into himself.

He’s not naïve, he knew exactly what he was doing. This is like an episode of “Yes Prime Minister.”

Dazza

P.S. If Blunkett’s inquiry finds that he did indeed abuse his position then I’ll bare my a**e outside the house of commons.

Well its all over bar the shouting…he had to resign from pure pressure…he was a good home secretary…but like all downfalls…he got involved with a married woman…and she brought him down…all over access rights…i dont know what he saw in her…or her to him for that matter…she had a good job…good money…was married to a successful businessman…but she was greedy…and then the idiot took her back…i have always said that if my wife did the dirty…i could and would never forgive her…i wouldnt do it…why should she…marriage is a trust…a partnership…and friendship…and i cant understand why people betray the trust…but it takes allsorts…and i hope she gets her comeuppance soon…like he leaves her…
have a nice day

I think that everyone expects perks to any job, many are taken as being acceptable, and many or not, the trouble is, the higher in position you climb, the less those perks are acceptable when scrutinised. Simply denying knowledge of knowing the rules or procedure, will not wash.

Without any doubt he will get another governmental position at a later date, if Labour regain power at the next election. It remains true 'though, that the bigger you are the harder you fall.

I do feel a bit sorry for him 'though and not because of his disabilty but because, he had to work twice as hard as many of the others to get to where he was IN SPITE of his disability.

I feel quite sorry for David Blunkett :frowning:

Not only has he lost his job through some old tart deciding to have some extra marital fun.

I feel ever so sorry that he doesn’t know how ugly she is :stuck_out_tongue:

And what about the dog, who gives the pet sympathy?

Wheel Nut:
I feel ever so sorry that he doesn’t know how ugly she is :stuck_out_tongue:

Got to feel good for the guy as he doesnt know how ugly he is himself :slight_smile::):).

Dont mean to mock the afflicted but hes hardly a god looking guy is he?.

This man is or was a civil servant he is or was there to serve us, if he is helping himself to my or your money that equals corruption within the government, therefore he should be booted so far up the arse that he wont coem back.

The sad part is that like his 9 bob note mate Mandelson he will probably be back in the government very soon, its one rule for them and one rule for us as usual.

This labour government got in to power amongst other things by using the sleaze vote against the Tories, but are far sleazier than their predecessors, boot the lot of them, for God knows if they get in again what have they left to tax us on?..

Dont forget that two shags Blinkett will be getting paid for a further 6 months after he left ( was asked to leave?) and dont forget he will still get his big fat pension while some of us will be getting the scraps from the table when we retire.

HANG HIM HIGH!!! corruption in government is not acceptable in this day and age…

And who cares

Cough… hey Jammy… perhaps a future tax on plumbing supplies? :laughing:

<<< pats wheel nut … there ya go! :wink:

runaroundtel:
Cough… hey Jammy… perhaps a future tax on plumbing supplies? :laughing:

I,m back on the road again Tel, so yes tax the bloody plumbers to hell, they earn enough i saw what they were paying and what they were charging you thought the MSA,S were overcharging, gees’ you should see what the plumbers are ripping people off for.

Buy a boiler form the merchant at £200 and charge the customer £600 plus ■■■■■■■ labour and parts !!! not bad for a days work if you dont have a conscience.

Dafman you should care it,s your money 2 shags was spending not his own!!!..