The darnia larne/ stranraer 1979

:unamused: :unamused: were anyone of you on the "darnia"in 1979 when she almost capsised, it always had a list on it anyway and your food was hard to keep hold of at the best of times, this particular night she was hit by a freak wave just after leaving “larne”, most trucks broke loose and helped to tip her almost over, my governor had four motors on that trip (we only had 5) i remember the tugs just dragging trucks and cars out still on their side, one owner driver with a transcon &fridge van (i think he was from swindon), had his little lad with him,and had to drive home with a twisted cab, with no windows in it, i recall that "dukes transport manager at crick was on board with his new co-car and it was flattened to about two foot high, any info or photo’s most welcome
stan the man, :smiling_imp:
it’s only a piece of steel
with wheels on :unamused: :unamused:

Yes stan I was doing trips to Northern Ireland, after finishing M/E, was on Wim Bosman, Then joined Bulwarks working for Carlsberg in April 1978, for most of that year, I was up & down to Scotland at least twice a week, then Bulwalk form a company with Carlsberg and called it Copenhagen Transport, this dropped Walkers of Leicester, they done the kegs etc with flat trailors. But before this happened, they asked for volenteers to go to Belfast, There was only about 9 of us at first due to the troubles over there, we was paid 16 hrs per day from start to finish of the trip, even when the day was 11hrs worked. I would have to go through my diary for that year to say I was on the ferry on that date, but when it was rough, I would tighten up my belt and lie down and try to sleep, but I would always have my meal as soon as I got on to the deck, and parked up, it used to be a good meal on it. Worst time Fleetwood to Belfast Took 36hrs force 12 gale. Sandman Norman