The Copenhagen Farce

Oh my, it seems that the climate change falls here in the TNet in the same category as average car driver, unbelievable piece of [zb]… :unamused:

About climate change, what is agreed as a fact, and is even measurable by anyone with proper equipments, is increase in the amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere. Increase during the last 100 years or so has been about 30%. That’s quite fast increase when considering how short timespan 100 years is compared even to the end of last ice age.

This increase alone has warmed atmosphere to date. How this warming has happened relates to what atmosphere does to the energy coming from the sun. When visible light form sun arrives to the atmosphere it hits different molecules which in turn transfers part of the visible light to a heat, which increases temperature of the atmosphere and hence also temperature on Earth’s surface. Currently atmosphere warms Earth about 33C with this effect. When ratios of the gasses (i.e. molecules) in atmosphere change it also alters the amount of heat produced from visible light. Increasing amount of carbon dioxide in atmosphere increases this warming effect. If you want to, you can verify that with a help of some good physics book. Threat of the increase in this warming effect is what is today called as a climate change.

What are also known pretty well is the physical and chemical phenomenons happening in the atmosphere. Basic principles in atmospheres physical behaviour were invented about 100 years ago which is quite long time science-wise and there has been plenty of time to disprove those theories. Apparently that hasn’t happened and something as common as weather forecasts are done fairly accurately based on these physical models.

Based on these theories and on the models based on our current understanding of the atmosphere, it is most likely going to continue warming up something between 1 to 6 degrees Celsius during this century. It is of course possible, but very unlikely that climate doesn’t get warmer any more. In fact that would require some severe flaws in a current understanding of how atmosphere works. You should also keep in mind that despite all these models computed by armies of computers these are just models which have flaws and generalizations, so truth likely is something different than what these models suggest. Still different models generally agree on one thing, which is that climate is warming up.

What is still disputed is how much our actions have increased climate change (like by increasing amount of carbon dioxide in atmosphere) and what amount of measured climate change has happened due to natural reasons. Some researches claim that even 90% of measured climate change has happened due to our actions. There are also difficulties measuring climate change as climate varies naturally quite a bit and those intervals tend to be quite long. El Nino could be example of a such natural cause. We could easily talk about natural effects affecting to the climate even for tens of years, so climate change can’t be blamed for all weather phenomenons and these phenomenons and climate change can affect local weather climate in much more drastic ways than is generally predicted. This change can also be that somewhere local weather becomes colder because of climate generally has warmed up. Still nothing is certain when talking about climate change. There are just different probabilities and we just have live our lives as a part of this scientific experiment :neutral_face: Nothing beats a proper reality show…

How fast climate change then works? If current climate models are even fairly accurate and political animals in Copenhagen manage to agree about drastic emission reductions, the results could be visible as soon as 2060’s. Atmosphere is such a large system that it doesn’t response fast to anything, but it can be altered by our actions like has been seen with ozone layers above south and north poles.

That 50 years just for seeing the effects of reductions done today is pretty long time and politicians are mostly interested about the time to next elections. Not a good combination if stopping climate change means reductions for voters current welfare… Also many of the peoples currently living aren’t going to see the change towards better which probably makes them think why they would have to do anything to stop it. I would be 77 at 2060 meaning I might be able to see if climate change has begun to slow down but I definitely won’t be collecting the results. Does that mean I shouldn’t try to keep this planet habitable for my (grand)children (if I first find suitable mother for them :laughing:)? I think it doesn’t.

Kyrbo:
Oh my, it seems that the climate change falls here in the TNet in the same category as average car driver, unbelievable piece of [zb]… :unamused:

About climate change, what is agreed as a fact, and is even measurable by anyone with proper equipments, is increase in the amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere. Increase during the last 100 years or so has been about 30%. That’s quite fast increase when considering how short timespan 100 years is compared even to the end of last ice age.

This increase alone has warmed atmosphere to date. How this warming has happened relates to what atmosphere does to the energy coming from the sun. When visible light form sun arrives to the atmosphere it hits different molecules which in turn transfers part of the visible light to a heat, which increases temperature of the atmosphere and hence also temperature on Earth’s surface. Currently atmosphere warms Earth about 33C with this effect. When ratios of the gasses (i.e. molecules) in atmosphere change it also alters the amount of heat produced from visible light. Increasing amount of carbon dioxide in atmosphere increases this warming effect. If you want to, you can verify that with a help of some good physics book. Threat of the increase in this warming effect is what is today called as a climate change.

What are also known pretty well is the physical and chemical phenomenons happening in the atmosphere. Basic principles in atmospheres physical behaviour were invented about 100 years ago which is quite long time science-wise and there has been plenty of time to disprove those theories. Apparently that hasn’t happened and something as common as weather forecasts are done fairly accurately based on these physical models.

Based on these theories and on the models based on our current understanding of the atmosphere, it is most likely going to continue warming up something between 1 to 6 degrees Celsius during this century. It is of course possible, but very unlikely that climate doesn’t get warmer any more. In fact that would require some severe flaws in a current understanding of how atmosphere works. You should also keep in mind that despite all these models computed by armies of computers these are just models which have flaws and generalizations, so truth likely is something different than what these models suggest. Still different models generally agree on one thing, which is that climate is warming up.

What is still disputed is how much our actions have increased climate change (like by increasing amount of carbon dioxide in atmosphere) and what amount of measured climate change has happened due to natural reasons. Some researches claim that even 90% of measured climate change has happened due to our actions. There are also difficulties measuring climate change as climate varies naturally quite a bit and those intervals tend to be quite long. El Nino could be example of a such natural cause. We could easily talk about natural effects affecting to the climate even for tens of years, so climate change can’t be blamed for all weather phenomenons and these phenomenons and climate change can affect local weather climate in much more drastic ways than is generally predicted. This change can also be that somewhere local weather becomes colder because of climate generally has warmed up. Still nothing is certain when talking about climate change. There are just different probabilities and we just have live our lives as a part of this scientific experiment :neutral_face: Nothing beats a proper reality show…

How fast climate change then works? If current climate models are even fairly accurate and political animals in Copenhagen manage to agree about drastic emission reductions, the results could be visible as soon as 2060’s. Atmosphere is such a large system that it doesn’t response fast to anything, but it can be altered by our actions like has been seen with ozone layers above south and north poles.

That 50 years just for seeing the effects of reductions done today is pretty long time and politicians are mostly interested about the time to next elections. Not a good combination if stopping climate change means reductions for voters current welfare… Also many of the peoples currently living aren’t going to see the change towards better which probably makes them think why they would have to do anything to stop it. I would be 77 at 2060 meaning I might be able to see if climate change has begun to slow down but I definitely won’t be collecting the results. Does that mean I shouldn’t try to keep this planet habitable for my (grand)children (if I first find suitable mother for them :laughing:)? I think it doesn’t.

Sorry kyrbo but I’m a sceptic and I reckon that most of the yanks are right.If that level has increased by 30% and it’s really causing climate change then there should be a direct correlation between the CO2 level increase as a percentage and the temperature increase.The temperature in eastern russia for this week is about minus 40 degrees C.So are you and the scientists trying to say that it should be 30% colder than that?.But what we are seeing ‘might’ be a ‘slight’ increase in CO2 levels and a similar decrease in oxygen levels caused solely by de forestation and they are now trying to make up for that by telling us all to go back to the stone age for nothing instead of just replacing the lost trees.But at today’s figures CO2 makes up a lot less than 1% of the atmosphere(.03%) so if that figure of a 30% increase is correct it would have been around zero in 1910 in which case how could it have supported photosynthesis to make oxygen?.

Conor:
Funny how all these environmentally friendly low emission devices seem to result in lots of perfectly working older stuff going to landfill. Try asking someone selling you a low energy appliance how much pollution is caused in its creation and the disposal of the old one. Nobody yet has given me an answer.

I’m also quite irritated about this same thing. I’d like to see the sum of pollution and energy usage for replacing the old uneconomical device with new, supposedly more effective similar device.

Carryfast:
Sorry kyrbo but I’m a sceptic and I reckon that most of the yanks are right.If that level has increased by 30% and it’s really causing climate change then there should be a direct correlation between the CO2 level increase as a percentage and the temperature increase.

There’s nothing wrong being sceptic. Scepticism in fact has once already stopped actions against climate change. This happened somewhere between 1950 and 1970 when there was about 20 year long period of colder climate due to natural reason. This is also what makes it difficult to observe small changes (on anything) when the variables being measured are fluctuation much naturally. If average daily temperatures in December from year to year vary about 10 degrees Celsius it’s pretty difficult to measure rise of 1C (or less) in temperature, or what you think? That little less than 1C increase in temperature is approximately how much climate change is said to have affected temperature during last century [1].

About the direct correlation you are basically correct in your statement. Still if you think about equation 0.00001*X you get very small response for the change in the value of X and but that equation is directly proportional to X. When thinking some large system, like atmosphere, correlation between temperature and CO2 levels likely isn’t going to be anything that straightforward. I’d also think there are some huge delays (i.e. large time constants) when thinking about the response of any system as large as atmosphere. Just think how long time it is since CFC compound emissions have ceased and still it’s only quite recently when the amount of those compound in the atmosphere has started to diminish [2]. That’s just to point out how slowly that kind of reactions are likely to happen when talking about greenhouse gasses.

Carryfast:
The temperature in eastern russia for this week is about minus 40 degrees C.So are you and the scientists trying to say that it should be 30% colder than that?.

No, I’m not saying that nor are the scientist in general. You are interpreting my writing that way and combining it with some arbitrarily chosen region.

I only wrote it is possible that climate change could affect some areas that way. Generally speaking this can’t hold true for large regions as then climate wouldn’t be warming up. Areas which confront that kind of local change can also be relatively small.

Carryfast:
But what we are seeing ‘might’ be a ‘slight’ increase in CO2 levels and a similar decrease in oxygen levels caused solely by de forestation and they are now trying to make up for that by telling us all to go back to the stone age for nothing instead of just replacing the lost trees.But at today’s figures CO2 makes up a lot less than 1% of the atmosphere(.03%) so if that figure of a 30% increase is correct it would have been around zero in 1910 in which case how could it have supported photosynthesis to make oxygen?.

Long time average for atmosphere CO2 levels, before industrialization have been fluctuating between 0.018% and 0.030%. Long time here means for several hundred thousands years [3]. I’m quite sure levels have been around zero as they still are, but as the amounts have been measured afterwards and and Earth isn’t dead planet around zero levels obviously have been enough for photosynthesis.

When considering approximately 30% increase during last hundred years, taking CO2 levels way above long term maximum values I think it can’t be called ‘slight’ increase. According to yanks current atmosphere CO2 level is around 0.0385% and it has been increasing steadily with about 0.00019% annual rate for last twenty years [2]. At the beginning of last century annual increase was slightly less. That increase isn’t also anything which ‘might’ have happened, it’s a measurable fact like I wrote earlier and it can be verified from several sources. One can also do an own study of it to verify measurements of others. Also atmospheres response to CO2 (the greenhouse effect) is well known and understood phenomenon and due to it Earth most likely is going to get warmer place even if all man made greenhouse gas emissions would stop today.

What you are saying about current CO2 level increase being only a response to deforestation might be true, although generally that isn’t considered probable. As you think that deforestation is altering CO2 balance in atmosphere, then what do you think burning fossil fuels do to those levels? Fossil fuels after all are basically just really old forests and animals.

[1] According to IPCC, precise amount of measured temperature raise visible for example here: Climate change - Wikipedia
[2] NOAA/ESRL Global Monitoring Laboratory - THE NOAA ANNUAL GREENHOUSE GAS INDEX (AGGI)
[3] File:Carbon Dioxide 400kyr.png - Wikipedia

I think some of the Co2 produced used to slip out of the hole in the ozone layer and out into space. Now its been fixed all the Co2 is staying in, we’ll have to start using more CFC’s again :smiley:

Mike-C:
I think some of the Co2 produced used to slip out of the hole in the ozone layer and out into space. Now its been fixed all the Co2 is staying in, we’ll have to start using more CFC’s again D

I blame the space rockets and science fiction :stuck_out_tongue:

Kyrbo:

Conor:
Funny how all these environmentally friendly low emission devices seem to result in lots of perfectly working older stuff going to landfill. Try asking someone selling you a low energy appliance how much pollution is caused in its creation and the disposal of the old one. Nobody yet has given me an answer.

I’m also quite irritated about this same thing. I’d like to see the sum of pollution and energy usage for replacing the old uneconomical device with new, supposedly more effective similar device.

Carryfast:
Sorry kyrbo but I’m a sceptic and I reckon that most of the yanks are right.If that level has increased by 30% and it’s really causing climate change then there should be a direct correlation between the CO2 level increase as a percentage and the temperature increase.

There’s nothing wrong being sceptic. Scepticism in fact has once already stopped actions against climate change. This happened somewhere between 1950 and 1970 when there was about 20 year long period of colder climate due to natural reason. This is also what makes it difficult to observe small changes (on anything) when the variables being measured are fluctuation much naturally. If average daily temperatures in December from year to year vary about 10 degrees Celsius it’s pretty difficult to measure rise of 1C (or less) in temperature, or what you think? That little less than 1C increase in temperature is approximately how much climate change is said to have affected temperature during last century [1].

About the direct correlation you are basically correct in your statement. Still if you think about equation 0.00001*X you get very small response for the change in the value of X and but that equation is directly proportional to X. When thinking some large system, like atmosphere, correlation between temperature and CO2 levels likely isn’t going to be anything that straightforward. I’d also think there are some huge delays (i.e. large time constants) when thinking about the response of any system as large as atmosphere. Just think how long time it is since CFC compound emissions have ceased and still it’s only quite recently when the amount of those compound in the atmosphere has started to diminish [2]. That’s just to point out how slowly that kind of reactions are likely to happen when talking about greenhouse gasses.

Carryfast:
The temperature in eastern russia for this week is about minus 40 degrees C.So are you and the scientists trying to say that it should be 30% colder than that?.

No, I’m not saying that nor are the scientist in general. You are interpreting my writing that way and combining it with some arbitrarily chosen region.

I only wrote it is possible that climate change could affect some areas that way. Generally speaking this can’t hold true for large regions as then climate wouldn’t be warming up. Areas which confront that kind of local change can also be relatively small.

Carryfast:
But what we are seeing ‘might’ be a ‘slight’ increase in CO2 levels and a similar decrease in oxygen levels caused solely by de forestation and they are now trying to make up for that by telling us all to go back to the stone age for nothing instead of just replacing the lost trees.But at today’s figures CO2 makes up a lot less than 1% of the atmosphere(.03%) so if that figure of a 30% increase is correct it would have been around zero in 1910 in which case how could it have supported photosynthesis to make oxygen?.

Long time average for atmosphere CO2 levels, before industrialization have been fluctuating between 0.018% and 0.030%. Long time here means for several hundred thousands years [3]. I’m quite sure levels have been around zero as they still are, but as the amounts have been measured afterwards and and Earth isn’t dead planet around zero levels obviously have been enough for photosynthesis.

When considering approximately 30% increase during last hundred years, taking CO2 levels way above long term maximum values I think it can’t be called ‘slight’ increase. According to yanks current atmosphere CO2 level is around 0.0385% and it has been increasing steadily with about 0.00019% annual rate for last twenty years [2]. At the beginning of last century annual increase was slightly less. That increase isn’t also anything which ‘might’ have happened, it’s a measurable fact like I wrote earlier and it can be verified from several sources. One can also do an own study of it to verify measurements of others. Also atmospheres response to CO2 (the greenhouse effect) is well known and understood phenomenon and due to it Earth most likely is going to get warmer place even if all man made greenhouse gas emissions would stop today.

What you are saying about current CO2 level increase being only a response to deforestation might be true, although generally that isn’t considered probable. As you think that deforestation is altering CO2 balance in atmosphere, then what do you think burning fossil fuels do to those levels? Fossil fuels after all are basically just really old forests and animals.

[1] According to IPCC, precise amount of measured temperature raise visible for example here: Climate change - Wikipedia
[2] NOAA/ESRL Global Monitoring Laboratory - THE NOAA ANNUAL GREENHOUSE GAS INDEX (AGGI)
[3] File:Carbon Dioxide 400kyr.png - Wikipedia

If I’m basically correct about there being a direct correlation between the ‘30% increase’ in C02 over the last hundred years and temperature levels then it follows that by now we’d have seen that directly reflected by a 30% increase in Summer and Winter temperatures around the world.I don’t believe in the inertia theory either as in most places temperatures go from relatively cold at night to relatively hot during the day in a matter of hours just by the sun’s radiation working on the air mass.If we’re looking at a 30% increase in C02 having a direct 30% increase on day and night winter and summer temperatures throughout the world over the last hundred years then by now places like Australia and the southern states of America would be uninhabitable.While most other places would probably have been able to save burning enough fuel,which we presently burn to keep orselves warm in the winter,to bring the CO2 levels back to ‘normal’ anyway and probably even more.That’s assuming that a level of nearly zero is the ‘correct’ level to sustain life and for plants to keep replenishing the atmosphere with oxygen.But I don’t see any link between burning long dead carbonised life forms and removing living plant life which obviously has an effect on photosynthesis and therefore the planet’s CO2 and Oxygen recycling mechanism which basically means that trees breath in the CO2 which most life forms breath out in far higher concentrations than burning fossil fuels does and then they breath out the oxygen which we need to breath.So the next time the ‘green’ cyclists tell you that cycling is more environmentally friendly than driving just ask them if they know how much CO2 that they could have saved by walking instead? :laughing: :laughing:

Kyrbo:

This increase alone has warmed atmosphere to date.

Really? CO2 accounts for 0.3% of the content of air. CO2 also doesn’t have a very high thermal efficiency, it being 1/156th that of water. With those two facts, explain how it is responsible for the increase?

I can however point out that the reduction in the levels of ozone over the antarctic , due to mans interference after the last “we’re all doomed” hole in the ozone layer panic, have increased the temperature there.

Apart from the fact that the majority of documents, papers & studies on Global warming have been proven to be fraudulent, the main evidence of ‘Climate Change’ are the Polar Ice Caps which are melting & supposedly causing Islands in the Maldives to disappear, well there’s a serious flaw in this argument, the Polar Ice Caps are floating bodies of ice, so their melting will do nothing to make the level of the oceans rise as their displacement will actually lessen as a result of their melting, to test this put an ice cube into a full glass of water,as it melts the water level actually drops :open_mouth: Not only that but as the Ice Pack decreases at the North pole it is actually increasing by a corresponding amount at the South Pole :open_mouth:

We may be experiencing a climatic change, the Earth travels around the Sun in an elliptical pattern, a slight change in the trajectory will have a massive impact on temperatures on parts the planet, like for example the difference between summer & winter :bulb: It’s happened before, there were at least three periods spanning millions of years that Dinosaurs roamed the Earth, each period ended up in an Ice Age & Barney & his mates were wiped out, now I can’t be exact on a timescale, but I’m pretty sure this was MILLIONS of years before Rudolph Diesel made his first N0x killing machine :unamused: The path that the planet travels is not continually on the same plane, the Earth rotates & the forces that rotation cause will increase or decrease it’s distance from the Sun, as the North & South Poles show clearly. This happens on roughly a 60yr cycle. Quite a lot of our parents experienced the last 60yr cycle & our Great Grandparents experienced the one before that, now I don’t remember my Mum or dad telling me that there was catastrophic flooding, heatwaves, swarms of Locusts etc etc around when they were kids & without even asking them I’m going to say that they never heard stories like that from their Grandparents either :unamused:

Now I have a pretty good idea of what’s behind the whole Copenhagen Treaty agenda, bear with me because it may sound somewhat incredible, it’s all about Socialism, in the treaty are passages that will give the Governments of the world the ability to strip patents, the Politicians will say that this is to benefit the environment, call me paranoid if you wish, but I believe the real reason behind that is to remove the power of the entrepreneur, the two major players in the world, the USA & Europe are all controlled by Socialists, the other main economic force in the World, China, depends on The USA & Europe for it’s economy & as it’s a Communist State, I think it’s safe to assume that their policies lean slightly to the left :open_mouth: Just look at the propaganda spewed out from the left over the last few years, the whole idea of competition is frowned upon in our schools, which is where you’ll find the entrepreneurs & leaders of tomorrow, the kids are being brainwashed that everyone is equal, there are no winners or losers, well that is just wrong & unless something is done we will all become equal, although some will be a hell of a lot more equal than others, it won’t be any of us though, we will all become human machines :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just as a little footnote, this was today’s high temperature where I live in Canada

Global warming, my arse :open_mouth:

newmercman:
Apart from the fact that the majority of documents, papers & studies on Global warming have been proven to be fraudulent, the main evidence of ‘Climate Change’ are the Polar Ice Caps which are melting & supposedly causing Islands in the Maldives to disappear, well there’s a serious flaw in this argument, the Polar Ice Caps are floating bodies of ice, so their melting will do nothing to make the level of the oceans rise as their displacement will actually lessen as a result of their melting, to test this put an ice cube into a full glass of water,as it melts the water level actually drops :open_mouth: Not only that but as the Ice Pack decreases at the North pole it is actually increasing by a corresponding amount at the South Pole :open_mouth:

We may be experiencing a climatic change, the Earth travels around the Sun in an elliptical pattern, a slight change in the trajectory will have a massive impact on temperatures on parts the planet, like for example the difference between summer & winter :bulb: It’s happened before, there were at least three periods spanning millions of years that Dinosaurs roamed the Earth, each period ended up in an Ice Age & Barney & his mates were wiped out, now I can’t be exact on a timescale, but I’m pretty sure this was MILLIONS of years before Rudolph Diesel made his first N0x killing machine :unamused: The path that the planet travels is not continually on the same plane, the Earth rotates & the forces that rotation cause will increase or decrease it’s distance from the Sun, as the North & South Poles show clearly. This happens on roughly a 60yr cycle. Quite a lot of our parents experienced the last 60yr cycle & our Great Grandparents experienced the one before that, now I don’t remember my Mum or dad telling me that there was catastrophic flooding, heatwaves, swarms of Locusts etc etc around when they were kids & without even asking them I’m going to say that they never heard stories like that from their Grandparents either :unamused:

Now I have a pretty good idea of what’s behind the whole Copenhagen Treaty agenda, bear with me because it may sound somewhat incredible, it’s all about Socialism, in the treaty are passages that will give the Governments of the world the ability to strip patents, the Politicians will say that this is to benefit the environment, call me paranoid if you wish, but I believe the real reason behind that is to remove the power of the entrepreneur, the two major players in the world, the USA & Europe are all controlled by Socialists, the other main economic force in the World, China, depends on The USA & Europe for it’s economy & as it’s a Communist State, I think it’s safe to assume that their policies lean slightly to the left :open_mouth: Just look at the propaganda spewed out from the left over the last few years, the whole idea of competition is frowned upon in our schools, which is where you’ll find the entrepreneurs & leaders of tomorrow, the kids are being brainwashed that everyone is equal, there are no winners or losers, well that is just wrong & unless something is done we will all become equal, although some will be a hell of a lot more equal than others, it won’t be any of us though, we will all become human machines :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just as a little footnote, this was today’s high temperature where I live in Canada

Ricky Tomlinson could’nt have put it better.It looks like Mc Carthy was right after all and as the Romans said who gains from this? :unamused: .But that temperature there is probably no different than it was at this time of year 100 years ago.

Kyrbo:

Temperatures in the last few years have been dropping, FACT, meanwhile CO2 still is rising FACT. The Midevil Warm Period with vinyards in England wasn’t caused by CO2 its all down to SUNSPOTS / SOLAR FLARES. Look at the graphs correlating sunspot activity with global temperatures and you’ll get an eye opener.

If 1 large volcano erupts it’ll pump out more CO2 than humans EVER have produced - how will a new tax help with that?

newmercman:

Spot on that man, Russia is now a democracy answerable to only themselves… they don’t have unelected “leaders” making 90% of their rules.

If anyone is interested here’s an alternative (for that read true & unmolested) viewpoint of global warming, it’s 34mins so make sure you’ve got a cuppa & a packet of Rich Tea handy :wink:

Do a google search for Lord Monkton of Brenchley, the Berlin Conference, prepare to be amazed. I’d do one of those clever link things, but I’m not clever enough :laughing:

Here’s some more of my crap :wink:

What Is the Problem with Carbon Dioxide (CO2)?

Carbon dioxide is not a toxin, is not directly harmful to human health, and is not projected to become so–even without legislative or regulatory action. CO2 is fundamental to all known forms of life. Indeed, studies show that increased CO2 levels are beneficial for crop production.

Nevertheless, driven by concern that increasing levels of CO2 (and other greenhouse gasses) will lead to a warmer world and cause environmental damage, there have been calls to significantly restrict emissions of all greenhouse gasses, but especially CO2. Among the proposals to reduce CO2 levels are carbon taxes and cap and trade.

Our analytical models are not suited to making projections beyond 2030. Nevertheless, the economic impacts of this cap-and-trade program in just the first two decades were extraordinary. The estimated aggregate losses to Gross Domestic Product (GDP), adjusted for inflation, are $4.8 trillion. By 2029 the job losses in the manufacturing sector will be nearly 3 million. This is over and above the nearly one million manufacturing job losses that most economists predict will occur even in the absence of global-warming legislation.

Some of the workers forced out of manufacturing will find employment in the service sector, but overall, the economy loses jobs. In some years, this overall job loss exceeds 800,000.

Note: Current law already has many provisions for curtailing CO2 emissions. They range from local renewable-portfolio mandates to increased nationwide Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards to subsidies for ethanol production. While the reductions in CO2 emissions are included for the purposes of meeting the emissions targets, the considerable cost of these programs is not included in our analysis. This is because the costs are attributable to existing legislation and will occur even without additional laws or regulations. Of course, if they were included, job and GDP loss totals would be even higher.

Why Is It So Costly?

Eighty-five percent of our energy use today is based on CO2-emitting fossil fuels. The ability to switch to non-CO2-emitting energy sources over the next 20 years is limited and expensive. Therefore, significant cuts in CO2 emissions require significant cuts in energy use. The energy cuts, in turn, reduce economic activity, shrink GDP, and destroy jobs.

The cap-and-trade schemes, as well as more straight-forward carbon taxes, limit emissions by making energy sufficiently more expensive that they cut their energy use. In addition to the direct impact on consumers’ budgets for electricity, gasoline, heating oil, and natural gas, these higher energy costs force cutbacks on the production side of the economy and lead to lower output, employment, and income.

It is important to note that these losses occur after consumers, workers, and businesses have adjusted as well as they can to the higher energy costs. After adjusting for inflation, household energy prices will rise 29 percent above the business as usual prices, even though consumers will have switched to smaller cars, moved into more energy efficient houses, and made greater use of public transit. The lost comfort, convenience, and satisfaction of making these changes are not included in our calculation of economic impacts, though the costs would be very real.

Green Stimulus?

Production drops even though firms will have adopted more energy efficient technologies and processes. To reiterate, the trillions of dollars of lost GDP and the hundreds of thousands of lost jobs occur even after homes and businesses have made the switch to greener methods. The hoped-for green-job gain is a mirage.

A person on a bicycle generator would do very well to average 150 watts of output during a day. At this level, a modern-day cyclist/generator could produce electricity worth 10-15 cents per day at retail prices. With sufficient subsidies, people could be induced to power such generators and the proponents could then point to the “green” jobs that have been “created.” What is not seen is the value of the cyclists’ forgone output elsewhere. Even at minimum wage, the value of the labor is $52.40 per day. So each human-powered generator would shrink the economy by over $50 per day. This is not an economic stimulus.

Alternative energy schemes that require subsidies or that require protection from competing with conventional sources of power cannot be economic stimuli–their output is worth less than their inputs. An industry whose inputs cost more than its output is making the economy smaller and will necessarily reduce overall income.

The Tax

Implementing a cap-and-trade program to cut emissions by 70 percent creates a transfer within the United States that is equivalent to taxes on the order of $250 billion to $300 billion per year, just for the years 2012 to 2030. The combined transfer is about $5 trillion in just the first 20 years. This takes the purchasing power from the households and turns it over to the federal government or to whomever the government assigns the rights to the permits for emissions (allowances). This would be one of the largest taxes in the economy–almost twice as large as the highway use taxes.

Because the transfer, in this case, is similar in magnitude to the lost GDP, we need to be clear on the distinction. A cap-and-trade program with an emissions reduction profile similar to that of last year’s Lieberman-Warner bill, will cause an aggregate $5 trillion of transfers after it destroys $4.8 trillion of national income (GDP).

In colloquial terms, the pie gets smaller by nearly $5 trillion and then a $5 trillion piece is cut out and redistributed.

Back-Door Protectionism

Cap-and-trade programs frequently include provisions to protect domestic industries from competition with firms in countries that have not adopted similarly costly mechanisms for reducing CO2. While the intent is certainly understandable, the provisions create the possibility of a protectionist wolf in global-warming clothes.

Putting these protectionist policies into operation is a bureaucratic nightmare. Every product from every country will need to be judged to determine the level of advantage it may have due to different carbon-cutting regimes. Since different countries can have different approaches and since different manufacturers can use different technologies and processes, assigning an offsetting CO2 tariff will necessarily involve arbitrary decisions. The potential for a trade war is very real.

The Gain

Analysis by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) shows that a 60 percent reduction in CO2 emissions by 2050 will reduce CO2 concentrations by only 25 ppm in 2095. This reduction would affect world temperatures by 0.1 to 0.2 degrees C. In other words, it makes virtually no difference.

Conclusion

The Center for Data Analysis at The Heritage Foundation analyzed a proposal to cut CO2 emissions by 70 percent. Such a cut would have little impact on global temperatures. At best, the trade-off is trillions of dollars in lost income and hundreds of thousands of lost jobs versus a fraction of a degree change in average world temperature 85 years from now.

This may all relate to the USA, but as the world’s largest economy, it impacts us all.

newmercman:

What Is the Problem with Carbon Dioxide (CO2)?

Carbon dioxide is not a toxin, is not directly harmful to human health, and is not projected to become so–even without legislative or regulatory action. CO2 is fundamental to all known forms of life.

A person on a bicycle generator would do very well to average 150 watts of output during a day. At this level, a modern-day cyclist/generator could produce electricity worth 10-15 cents per day at retail prices. With sufficient subsidies, people could be induced to power such generators and the proponents could then point to the “green” jobs that have been “created.” What is not seen is the value of the cyclists’ forgone output elsewhere. Even at minimum wage, the value of the labor is $52.40 per day. So each human-powered generator would shrink the economy by over $50 per day.

Not to forget that if we powered the average house by human bicycle powered electricity :laughing: :laughing: the human generator would probably breath out more CO2 during the day than a coal fired power station would produce to generate the same amount of leccy or more :laughing: .That’s assuming that the human generator did’nt collapse by lunchtime :laughing: :laughing:

That’s just it, this whole thing is just a load of bollox, it’s about our socialist governments redistributing the worlds wealth so that we’re all equal, not a bad philosophy in isolation, I mean, why should somebody have to live in poverty their whole life just because they were born in a certain country, as human beings we’re all equal. It won’t work though, now I’m not being racist when I say this, but if you put most African nations in the same monetary league as us, they won’t build schools, hospitals, blah blah blah, they’ll buy a load of guns & continue killing each other, it’s the law of the jungle that rules the world (no pun intended) the stronger, or more intelligent among us will rise to the top of the pile whether we like it or not, the world today is what it is through natural progression, we’ve evolved into what we are, the politicians don’t like this & they want us to be all the same, well except for them of course, it won’t work, our instinct is to do what’s best for us, that could be earning more money or killing the tribe down the road so that we have a greater share of the food & water, whatever the case, the strongest will always do what’s best for them. The only way that the World can become one big nation will be to brainwash us or make anyone who disagrees a political prisoner, just as the Soviets did to make Communism work, just look how that turned out.

We can stop this though, instead of being apathetic it’s time we all lobbied our politicians, they are our representatives, tell them how you want to be represented, if they don’t want to listen, that’s simple, vote them out, if enough people stand up to be counted, then WE can change the world, the politicians are only OUR mouthpiece, they are not decision makers, they’re just there as our voice.

newmercman:
That’s just it, this whole thing is just a load of bollox, it’s about our socialist governments redistributing the worlds wealth so that we’re all equal, not a bad philosophy in isolation, I mean, why should somebody have to live in poverty their whole life just because they were born in a certain country, as human beings we’re all equal. It won’t work though, now I’m not being racist when I say this, but if you put most African nations in the same monetary league as us, they won’t build schools, hospitals, blah blah blah, they’ll buy a load of guns & continue killing each other, it’s the law of the jungle that rules the world (no pun intended) the stronger, or more intelligent among us will rise to the top of the pile whether we like it or not, the world today is what it is through natural progression, we’ve evolved into what we are, the politicians don’t like this & they want us to be all the same, well except for them of course, it won’t work, our instinct is to do what’s best for us, that could be earning more money or killing the tribe down the road so that we have a greater share of the food & water, whatever the case, the strongest will always do what’s best for them. The only way that the World can become one big nation will be to brainwash us or make anyone who disagrees a political prisoner, just as the Soviets did to make Communism work, just look how that turned out.

We can stop this though, instead of being apathetic it’s time we all lobbied our politicians, they are our representatives, tell them how you want to be represented, if they don’t want to listen, that’s simple, vote them out, if enough people stand up to be counted, then WE can change the world, the politicians are only OUR mouthpiece, they are not decision makers, they’re just there as our voice

But the yanks have been trying to tell the world that the whole thing is a load of bovine excreta for years but no one wants to believe them.They’d rather listen to Comrade Brown and his Chinese mates.Meanwhile the soviets just keep pumping oil and getting richer while the yanks are driving Toyotas instead of Chevys and Cadillacs except the ones who know better.I’m no racist either but I bet there ain’t many Toyota drivers in Georgia or South Carolina :laughing:

Don’t be under the illusion that the Americans are not part of this, Barack Obama will turn out to be the most dangerous man on the planet before his term in office is over, most of the scientific nonsense that brought about the global warming lie started in the USA, the President is a meglomanic socialist just like all those idiots in Westminster & Brussels/Strasbourg.

These are the words The Community Organizer uttered during last year’s campaign. He told the American people that he would be “ready to rule on day one.”

Rule? How about LEAD?

This nuance was lost on most of the American voters. People were so caught up in the media-driven ObamaFrenzy that they didn’t stop for a moment to think that in America they don’t elect rulers, they elect leaders. Well … sometimes.

It is now clear that Obama meant exactly what he said. He was ready to rule. He does consider himself to be a ruler. Here’s some evidence for you.

In case you don’t know the specifics, let me give you a very brief explanation of part of the structure of the American government. There are three branches; legislative, judicial and executive. The legislative branch passes the laws. The Executive branch issues regulations to implement those laws. The Judicial branch handles the legal issues.

So let’s consider Cap-and-Trade, the most massive tax increase on the American people in several decades. The bill has passed the House, but it is (so far) going nowhere in the Senate. Obama isn’t happy. He wants Cap-and-Trade passed. He knows that this would give him and his Executive Branch vast new powers over American businesses, not to mention the revenue it would bring to government.

So what can Obama do to press the issue? Enter the Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA is Obama’s. It is part of the Executive Branch. Thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, the EPA was given the authority to declare CO2 a pollutant. This the EPA did earlier this week. This gives the EPA the legal right to regulate CO2 under, among other laws, the Clean Air Act.

So here we go with the “ready to rule” bit. A mouthpiece for the Obama administration has now issued a warning to Congress. The Senate, as I told you, just hasn’t passed Obama’s Tax-and-Cap. So now the White House is telling the Senate to get this thing done now. If the Senate fails to do what our ruler has demanded, the White House makes it clear that the EPA will take a “command-and-control” role over the process in a way that could hurt business.

Did you hear that? The White House itself is warning that the EPA will impose restrictions that will be terrible for businesses if the congress doesn’t act.

Unfortunately I do not yet know which economic official made this warning, but here’s the quote, “If you don’t pass this legislation, then the EPA is going to have to regulate in this area. And it is not going to be able to regulate on a market-based way, so it’s going to have to regulate in a command-and-control way, which will probably generate even more uncertainty.”

The official believes that congressional action is optimal because it would provide “compensation” for higher energy prices. Also, the “uncertainty” of EPA action would be a “deterrent to investment.”

So here we have a White House using the regulatory authority of the EPA telling the Senate that it may do something that might hurt the private sector; and at the very least would introduce “uncertainty” into the marketplace, if the congress doesn’t pass a certain piece of legislation the president wants.

Sound like the America you know? Sounds exactly the same as the tripe that the EU comes out with to me :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: :cry:

newmercman:
Don’t be under the illusion that the Americans are not part of this, Barack Obama will turn out to be the most dangerous man on the planet before his term in office is over, most of the scientific nonsense that brought about the global warming lie started in the USA, the President is a meglomanic socialist just like all those idiots in Westminster & Brussels/Strasbourg.

These are the words The Community Organizer uttered during last year’s campaign. He told the American people that he would be “ready to rule on day one.”

Rule? How about LEAD?

This nuance was lost on most of the American voters. People were so caught up in the media-driven ObamaFrenzy that they didn’t stop for a moment to think that in America they don’t elect rulers, they elect leaders. Well … sometimes.

It is now clear that Obama meant exactly what he said. He was ready to rule. He does consider himself to be a ruler. Here’s some evidence for you.

In case you don’t know the specifics, let me give you a very brief explanation of part of the structure of the American government. There are three branches; legislative, judicial and executive. The legislative branch passes the laws. The Executive branch issues regulations to implement those laws. The Judicial branch handles the legal issues.

So let’s consider Cap-and-Trade, the most massive tax increase on the American people in several decades. The bill has passed the House, but it is (so far) going nowhere in the Senate. Obama isn’t happy. He wants Cap-and-Trade passed. He knows that this would give him and his Executive Branch vast new powers over American businesses, not to mention the revenue it would bring to government.

So what can Obama do to press the issue? Enter the Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA is Obama’s. It is part of the Executive Branch. Thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, the EPA was given the authority to declare CO2 a pollutant. This the EPA did earlier this week. This gives the EPA the legal right to regulate CO2 under, among other laws, the Clean Air Act.

So here we go with the “ready to rule” bit. A mouthpiece for the Obama administration has now issued a warning to Congress. The Senate, as I told you, just hasn’t passed Obama’s Tax-and-Cap. So now the White House is telling the Senate to get this thing done now. If the Senate fails to do what our ruler has demanded, the White House makes it clear that the EPA will take a “command-and-control” role over the process in a way that could hurt business.

Did you hear that? The White House itself is warning that the EPA will impose restrictions that will be terrible for businesses if the congress doesn’t act.

Unfortunately I do not yet know which economic official made this warning, but here’s the quote, “If you don’t pass this legislation, then the EPA is going to have to regulate in this area. And it is not going to be able to regulate on a market-based way, so it’s going to have to regulate in a command-and-control way, which will probably generate even more uncertainty.”

The official believes that congressional action is optimal because it would provide “compensation” for higher energy prices. Also, the “uncertainty” of EPA action would be a “deterrent to investment.”

So here we have a White House using the regulatory authority of the EPA telling the Senate that it may do something that might hurt the private sector; and at the very least would introduce “uncertainty” into the marketplace, if the congress doesn’t pass a certain piece of legislation the president wants.

Sound like the America you know? Sounds exactly the same as the tripe that the EU comes out with to me :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No does’nt sound anything like the America I know :unamused: :open_mouth: But that country is more or less split 50/50 where that type of government would be concerned and the yanks don’t mind democracy just as long as it’s the right type of democracy?. :smiley: And I always thought that the wrong side won the last civil war which they had over there so maybe this time they’ll get it right :laughing: :laughing:

To quote newmercman:

“That’s just it, this whole thing is just a load of bollox, it’s about our socialist governments redistributing the worlds wealth so that we’re all equal…”

Have a look at this:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8408821.stm

OK then, we’ll keep the money. We can’t afford it anyway. We’re told that both the conservatives and labour want to ringfence overseas aid as well as health and education inspite of a budget deficit of £175b and rising. If the govt have to bail the banks again won’t we be finished■■? Why are we giving money away left right and centre? Yes, with controls in times of wealth, but not when our soldiers are being slaughtered through lack of even the most basic kit, our NHS is on its knees (trust me) etc etc. If a party activist knocks on my door at the next election i’ll know what to tell them…

Phew, rant over lol :unamused:

Oh my, this is going to take ages to write a proper response… :unamused:

Carryfast:

Kyrbo:

Carryfast:

If I’m basically correct about there being a direct correlation between the ‘30% increase’ in C02 over the last hundred years and temperature levels then it follows that by now we’d have seen that directly reflected by a 30% increase in Summer and Winter temperatures around the world.

It seems that I must say sorry and withdraw a bit what I said about you being basically correct. You were talking about direct correlation and I though about directly proportional. These two are related, I’d believe, as directly proportional relationship between two variables also means that there is high correlation between them but not vice versa (correlation between two variables doesn’t mean they are directly proportional i.e. linear relationship). As I’ve never really got grasp of how correlation works I can’t say for certain whether you’re right or wrong with your statement about direct correlation between atmospheres CO2 levels and temperature.

What I meant with you being basically correct, based on my assumption that you meant direct proportionality, was that there is relationship between them but it by no means can be just straightforward direct proportionality. If it would, there would have been consensus about it a long time ago. Like I wrote, atmosphere is quite large system and interactions in it are most likely pretty slow. I’d think you agree that large systems found in nature are generally reacting quite slowly to changes in surroundings (consider for example temperature of a lake throughout the year). I’m also quite sure you agree that larger the system more prone it is towards any kind of interferences. To give some examples think about stationary fully loaded artic hit by car. Now artic is the large system and it’s likely maintain it’s speed and position quite well despite a single car hitting it. Now think about what happens when the car hit the artic. Car and artic both suffer from deformation, but artic much less. Car abruptly stops and artic, depending about cars momentum, friction and various other things, either moves a little bit or remains stationary. It also affects quite a bit if car is driving walking speed, 89 km/h or 300 km/h. In every case one could say artic stays stationary and one would be basically correct, but how big error that statement has greatly depends about the cars speed and angel of attack. Still the lorrys response the the collision can be approximated to be linear despite the fact that precise model would likely contain some nonlinear components. This isn’t a good example of what I meant with “basically correct”, but I couldn’t think up any good example that could easily be explained.

Now that being “explained”, lets get back to the 30% increase in the CO2 levels. You are stating this increase should directly transfer into a 30% increase in average temperatures throughout the world. Before I say anything about this statement, I’d like to point out atmosphere being very complex system just because it’s sheer size meaning there are huge amount of different subsystems which should be taken into account. Also some of these subsystems aren’t fully understood and some of the understood systems are very complicated or even chaotic (chaotic system explained in [1]). That being said, CO2 levels aren’t only thing affecting to the atmospheres temperature and this effect by no means can be direct. When talking about how temperature responses to CO2 levels fluctuating you are most likely able to use some reasonably accurate linear approximation. In the NOAA page I already linked to in my previous post they were calculating relationship between CO2 levels and the amount of energy radiating to Earth’s surface (Figure 3 in [2]). Unit for that was watts per square metre, which is still just a plain number for power and must be converted somehow to temperature, but by a quick search I didn’t found how it’s done. I did however found that CO2 is responsible from 9 to 26% of the greenhouse effect warming the atmosphere [3]. Water vapours (approx. 0.3% of atmospheric mass) were responsible for 36 to 70% of greenhouse effect.

I’d think those quite much explain why that claim of 30% increase in CO2 levels meaning temperature raising for 30% doesn’t hold true . To the “by now” part I’ve already pretty much answered in my previous post (like emission reductions done today begun to be visible around 2050). Atmosphere is such large system that it reacts very slowly to changes and for warming to fully happen we have to wait for several decades.

Carryfast:
I don’t believe in the inertia theory either as in most places temperatures go from relatively cold at night to relatively hot during the day in a matter of hours just by the sun’s radiation working on the air mass.

What do mean with the inertia theory in this context? I suspect you’re not referring to Newtons first law in classical mechanics (the law of inertia).

Carryfast:
…to bring the CO2 levels back to ‘normal’ anyway and probably even more.That’s assuming that a level of nearly zero is the ‘correct’ level to sustain life and for plants to keep replenishing the atmosphere with oxygen.

If CO2 levels of near zero percent have been enough for photosynthesis to happen for at least during last 400 thousand years why it wouldn’t be enough (and hence ‘correct’) for plants of today?

Carryfast:
But I don’t see any link between burning long dead carbonised life forms and removing living plant life which obviously has an effect on photosynthesis and therefore the planet’s CO2 and Oxygen recycling mechanism which basically means that trees breath in the CO2 which most life forms breath out in far higher concentrations than burning fossil fuels does and then they breath out the oxygen which we need to breath.

Removing living plants affects CO2 and oxygen recycling mechanisms, that’s certain. What I also think you agree is that natural CO2 production (like decay of organic materials) and CO2 depletion (like through photosynthesis) must have been matching each others pretty well as CO2 levels have been fluctuating between certain levels for a very long time. Also it’s certain there has been some amount of this recycling capacity in reserve.

Then how burning long dead carbonized life forms does affect into this system? Well, burning anything carbon based produces basically heat, water and, surprise surprise, carbon dioxide! How then burning fossil fuels differs from burning something like freshly cut wood? When you cut down a forest for burning you basically just accelerate what would happen naturally anyway, at least as long as you make sure forest grows back so that CO2 recycling mechanism doesn’t get affected much more than what I think is negligible amount for this argumentation.

When you burn fossil fuels CO2 is released into the atmosphere. This CO2 isn’t taken away from any current CO2 sink. Sink here is a mechanism which stores CO2, like growing forests through photosynthesis. To compensate this CO2 increase sinks must store more CO2 which either means bigger sink (like forests) or more efficient sink (not likely to happen fast naturally). If neither of these happens CO2 levels in atmosphere start increase after reserves for increased CO2 depletion in current sinks are used.

How does this differ from deforestation? In deforestation forests are cut down and big percentage of cut down forest is then burned (at least somewhere around 50% says [4]). Burning releases CO2 into the atmosphere. This CO2 is taken away from current CO2 sink. To compensate this CO2 sinks must be allowed to grow back or similar amount must be planted elsewhere. Deforestation itself means that neither of these happen. Only other possibility would be more efficient sinks, but like said that isn’t likely to happen fast by itself. As none of these is happening in deforestation, CO2 levels in atmosphere start increase after reserves for increased CO2 depletion in current sinks are used.

I fail to see how these two things differ when talking about CO2 emissions.

Deforestation is stated to cause about 20% of worlds greenhouse gas emission although recent calculations hint it could be less than that [4]. Burning of fossil fuels is widely stated to be leading cause for greenhouse gas emissions, but I didn’t found any percentages about those emissions. There were however absolute values available for CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels [5] but not similar data for deforestation. I interpreted your writings so that you think deforestation is quite the only cause for CO2 levels increasing. If that is what you think, then where CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuel go?

Conor:

Kyrbo:

This increase alone has warmed atmosphere to date.

Really? CO2 accounts for 0.3% of the content of air. CO2 also doesn’t have a very high thermal efficiency, it being 1/156th that of water. With those two facts, explain how it is responsible for the increase?

I don’t understand what you mean with thermal efficiency here, but I think I can answer your question despite it. Actually I wrote about the reason of the increase in the very same post you are quoting… The reason why CO2 is important for this temperature increase despite it being quite scarce in atmosphere is because it is very efficient greenhouse gas. Greenhouse effect is explained in a pretty understandable form in Wikipedia [3], but I’ll write short summary here.

We’ll have to start by energy arriving from the Sun. As it hits Earth’s surface, about 50% of it is reflected away. This reflected energy is mostly in a form of long wavelength waves, like infrared waves (i.e. heat). Greenhouse gasses absorbs most of this reflected infrared radiation coming from Earth and transfer that captured radiation to infrared radiation, which radiates upwards to the space and downwards to the Earth. This downward radiation heats surface and lower atmosphere. Despite atmospheres CO2 levels being only approx 0.038%, CO2 is very efficient greenhouse gas and, like I wrote earlier in this post, it’s responsible for 9 to 26% of the greenhouse effect warming the atmosphere [3]. Water vapours (approx. 0.3% of atmospheric mass) were responsible for 36 to 70% of the greenhouse effect.

Conor:
I can however point out that the reduction in the levels of ozone over the antarctic , due to mans interference after the last “we’re all doomed” hole in the ozone layer panic, have increased the temperature there.

If you mean that Guardian’s article you linked to on some of your earlier posts I slightly disagree with your interpretation, but I wont deny anything on that article as it’s source look proper scientific publication (of course unless articles writer has wrote something from other than neutral point of view). My interpretation of this article was that due to man’s interference hole appeared into the ozone layer and this hole has prevented effects of global warming from hitting the Antarctic. My interpretation then continues that due to banning the CFC compounds causing the hole, ozone layer has now started healing itself and after it has properly healed in about 50 or 60 years the global warming has been able to hit the Antarctic with it’s full force as the hole isn’t protecting the Antarctic any more. Losing this man made shielding property was what I interpreted to be reason for oncoming climate warming over there and that if CFC compounds would never been used then the climate change would have already hit the Antarctic.

newmercman:
Apart from the fact that the majority of documents, papers & studies on Global warming have been proven to be fraudulent,

That’s quite harsh accusation. I guess you won’t mind giving some sources for this statement?

newmercman:
…the main evidence of ‘Climate Change’ are the Polar Ice Caps which are melting & supposedly causing Islands in the Maldives to disappear, well there’s a serious flaw in this argument, the Polar Ice Caps are floating bodies of ice, so their melting will do nothing to make the level of the oceans rise … Not only that but as the Ice Pack decreases at the North pole it is actually increasing by a corresponding amount at the South Pole :open_mouth:

Greenland isn’t floating and models predict that partial melting of it’s ice sheet will raise sea level about 5 cm during this century [6]. Sea levels would raise 7.2 metres if it would melt completely, but it’s believed to take several centuries before it melts completely. Also ice sheets near Antarctic aren’t all floating and some of those are likely to melt after ozone hole has repaired itself, like the article Conor linked to explained.

newmercman:
We may be experiencing a climatic change, the Earth travels around the Sun in an elliptical pattern, a slight change in the trajectory will have a massive impact on temperatures on parts the planet, like for example the difference between summer & winter :bulb:

That probably is affecting to climatic change, but I really don’t believe that none of the several thousands of scientist participating in the modelling of climate patterns wouldn’t have thought about this. I’d be tempted to believe that several of them have actually made some theories and calculations about that subject and results have either been incorporated to the climatic models predicting climatic change or neglected if magnitudes of the effects caused by trajectory changes weren’t that meaningful when compared to other processes working the atmosphere.

Carryfast:

newmercman:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs095.snc3/16254_1285851832183_1406776284_773235_4456983_n.jpg

But that temperature there is probably no different than it was at this time of year 100 years ago.

And that bit less than 1 degrees Celsius which temperature have been said to raise globally during last century [7] wouldn’t mean that temperature of today is quite close to what it was 100 years ago?

pete904ni:
Temperatures in the last few years have been dropping, FACT, meanwhile CO2 still is rising FACT. The Midevil Warm Period with vinyards in England wasn’t caused by CO2 its all down to SUNSPOTS / SOLAR FLARES. Look at the graphs correlating sunspot activity with global temperatures and you’ll get an eye opener.

The first fact you are saying depends quite much locally, as climate varies much naturally from year to year. Here in Finland average annual temperature has been raising for three consecutive years, but that doesn’t prove anything. It could as well have been dropping and that wouldn’t also prove anything. In fact you have a fault in your logic and I’ve emphasized the particular position. The fault here is that you only state something about last few years despite it being so short time that many natural phenomenons affecting the climate last much longer time. For example for CO2 emissions it takes about year before they circulate from northern hemisphere, where CO2 emissions are higher, to the southern hemisphere [8] and another example is sunspot cycle of the sun, which is is 11 years. Your logic that global temperature isn’t raising because it hasn’t done so in last few years is like claiming that average weekly consumption of your lorry isn’t raising because you have been able to roll for last couple kilometres, despite you’re in a middle of most hilly terrain in UK.

Sunspot activity changes the power Earth gets from the Sun only about 0.1% [9]. The actual amount of this change due to sunspot activity is about 1.3 W/m^2 and increase in greenhouse effect due to CO2 increase has been calculated to be around 1.7 W/m^2 since 1750, so those two are both at same magnitude [2], [9]. As you are stating another of these is warming Earth then how you explain that another one isn’t?

Under current evidences Medieval warm period you referred to isn’t believed to have happened globally and global temperature for that timespan was quite the same as global temperature was around 100 years ago [10]. As it isn’t believed to have happened globally it clearly can’t be caused solely because of sunspot activity, right? Also there can be high correlation between sunspot activity and global temperatures, but that doesn’t mean one happening because of another despite it being common misconception.

pete904ni:
If 1 large volcano erupts it’ll pump out more CO2 than humans EVER have produced - how will a new tax help with that?

Volcanic activity releases annually about 0.13 to 0.23 gigatonnes of CO2 into atmosphere. Burning fossil fuels released 27 gigatonnes of CO2 into atmosphere at 2004. [11]

I fail to see how 230 000 000 tonnes of CO2 from volcanic activity could be more than 27 000 000 000 tonnes from burning fossil fuels, but if you wish to disagree with these numbers feel free to do so as long as you provide some sources.

newmercman:

Generally it’s said that preventing climate from warming as much as we can comes cheaper than if it is let to warm up freely, but I won’t be touching economical effects of climate change as that would require also some sort of understanding about humans :laughing: I just comment that on some parts I agree with your thoughts. There always are peoples trying to use any situation for their personal advantage.

Sources:
Despite many of these being Wikipedia links, I checked that every claim I took from Wikipedia had reliable sounding source listed in that Wikipedia article.
[1] Chaos theory - Wikipedia
[3] Greenhouse effect - Wikipedia
[4] Deforestation - Wikipedia
[5] Carbon cycle - Wikipedia
[6] Arctic sea ice decline - Wikipedia
[7] According to IPCC, precise amount of measured temperature raise visible for example here: Climate change - Wikipedia
[8] gcrio.org - contact with domain owner | Epik.com
[9] Sunspot - Wikipedia
[10] Medieval Warm Period - Wikipedia
[11] Carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere - Wikipedia

PS. when writing this response I probably missed some things you had wrote in your posts, but that wasn’t intentional. This post just grew so bloody long I lost some of my interest in writing this towards the end…

PPS. Writing of this took ages, please don’t be so disbelieving :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: You see, I’d be keen to do also other things than writing here. Searching a suitable mother for my childs would be quite high on that list :laughing: :laughing: