The cab is your home : A few beers?

OK, it’s going to take a lot of thinking about but I might be considering taking class 1. There is one thing though that bothers me and that’s the rules on alcohol and nights out.

I’m no alcoholic but like the next guy I like to chill in the evening with a few cans/bottles and spend my time on the 'net or watching movies etc.

What is the official stance on being parked up for the night, on break, curtains closed with a few beers.
Two or three bottles and you are obviously over the driving limit but you are still technically in charge of the vehicle no?

Same if you park up for the night and pop off to the pub for a meal and a few pints…

Just wondering what happens if you get the knock on the cab door.

Forget all the nonsense answers about being 6 feet from the steering wheel or not having the keys in the ignition because they are nonsense.
It’s all about intent. So you have a couple of beers and are sound asleep, plod comes and knocks you out of your bed half way through your 11 off and you fail the breathalyser?
A decent brief will get you off as you can prove you weren’t going to drive anywhere. Don’t go mad and you’ll be fine.
It’s no different for camper van users if you think and they have a drink don’t they?

if your curtains are closed no will no unless you tell them ! so its a bit irrelevant if you’re stupid enough to sit on yer cat walk supping your inviting some knob to report you

Im ok with havin a few beers on a nite ,only thing with me is if i have a few im up all night peeing,so the way round it is not to have a beer a hour before bed then its out of my system and i sleep thru :wink: :wink: use your head your not in a cell :wink: :wink:

do what you want in your spare time as long as it doesn’t effect you in the morning.

used to work with a guy that would smoke a herbal on his downtime, each to their own. i personally just chill out with coconut water :sunglasses:

bjd:
if your curtains are closed no will no unless you tell them ! so its a bit irrelevant if you’re stupid enough to sit on yer cat walk supping your inviting some knob to report you

There are plenty of scenarios…
Maybe a police incident and they want to know if you saw/heard anything and “Oh, I see you are drinking a can, can we have a chat…”
Flag cracking summer days and it’s only 5pm, does that mean you have to sit in that tin box with your curtains closed ? You can’t relax on that patch of grass beside you soaking up the rays reading a book while you are on your nightly rest ?
I know my OP states curtains closed but I’m just wondering where drivers actually stand on the cab being a rolling hotel, home for most people.
Was just wondering if there was an official procedure to follow, legalities etc.

maga:
do what you want in your spare time as long as it doesn’t effect you in the morning.

I understand that, but technically, you are still in charge of a motor and I kinda like my license :smiley:

i think as long as your keys are out you’re ok

bjd:
i think as long as your keys are out you’re ok

Wrong, what if you are parked on a slope and knocked off the brake. Its about intent and has to be
proved

Problem comes if you have to move your truck for any unplanned reason. Next parked truck on fire, kids messing about, being moved on police, collision, someone trying to nick your load (and/or truck). Those things happen sometimes.

This place really does need a thanks button :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks guys for all input, interesting to see different views on it !

Copied from PigNet…

The law is no different for motorhomes or HGV drivers in cabs. They may well be able to provide a reasonable defence if they were parked up and settled for the night in a recognised parking bay on a motorway services or whatever, or in the case of an HGV driver if he had his schedule of the following days work which might show his expected departure time. Officer discretion would have to come into play regarding arrest in these circumstances.

The offence is as stated below
Sec 5(1) RTA 1988
If a person -
(a)…
(b) is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence .

PNLD describes ‘In Charge’ in this way:-
“There is no hard and fast rule or strict test for what constitutes ‘in charge’ for the purposes of being in charge of a vehicle whilst under the influence of drink or drugs under section 4 and being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the prescribed limit under section 5 of the 1988 Act. However, a close connection between the defendant and control of the vehicle is required. That connection may be evidenced by the defendants position in relation to the car, his actions, possession of a key which fits the ignition, his intentions as regards control of the vehicle and the position of anyone else in, at or near the vehicle.”

Sec 5(2) offers a statutory defence for ‘In Charge’

5(2) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1)(b) above to prove that at the time he is alleged to have committed the offence the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle whilst the proportion of alcohol in his breath, blood or urine remained likely to exceed the prescribed limit .

This defence was softened in favour of the defendant in light of the Human Rights Act 1998, where it was deemed that this statutory defence was too hard to achieve. The court in the Case Law of Sheldrake v DPP in 2003 gave the folowing meaning to the statutory defence.

“It is a defence for a person charged with this offence to demonstrate from the evidence an arguable case that at the time he was alleged to have committed the offence, the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle while the proportion of alcohol in his breath blood or urine remained likely to exceed the prescribed limit.”

The court later clarified

“It is not sufficient for the accused to show that, at the time of his arrest, he was so hopelessly drunk as to be incapable of driving a motor vehicle; he must show, for example, that he had handed the keys of the vehicle to someone else or that, realising that he was adversely affected by drink, he had taken a room for the night.”

In reality CPS will be very unlikely to run a Drunk in Charge unless there was reasonable likelihood that the defendant would drive while still over the limit.

The fact that the likelihood of prosecution may be fairly slim will not prevent an officer making a lawful and appropriate arrest for the purposes of prevention as well as evidence gathering.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Problem comes if you have to move your truck for any unplanned reason. Next parked truck on fire, kids messing about, being moved on police, collision, someone trying to nick your load (and/or truck). Those things happen sometimes.

This is very true personally i don’t drink so it isn’t an issue my other thoughts are while 2 can maybe won’t put you over the limit what about drinking every night would it have a topping up effect ? and is there much difference say smoking a joint again I DON’T but i find it hypocritical when people who drink slate people who like a smoke . After All they both affect your judgement surely

Kaistar:

bjd:

There are plenty of scenarios…
Maybe a police incident and they want to know if you saw/heard anything and “Oh, I see you are drinking a can, can we have a chat…”
Flag cracking summer days and it’s only 5pm, does that mean you have to sit in that tin box with your curtains closed ? You can’t relax on that patch of grass beside you soaking up the rays reading a book while you are on your nightly rest ?
I know my OP states curtains closed but I’m just wondering where drivers actually stand on the cab being a rolling hotel, home for most people.
Was just wondering if there was an official procedure to follow, legalities etc.

I shouldn’t worry mate, chances are you’ll be on 9hrs of daily rest, you’ll park up, get fed, showered and then it will be off to bed after a quick phone call to the other half to get 7 hours sleep before you need to get up a put the kettle on ready for another 15.

There will be none of this leisurely walks to country pubs where you sit and have a beer while waiting for your steak to come to the table then reading a book for a further hour before strolling back to the cab with a takeaway bottle.

I just stick the keys in a draw and crack on… Really doesn’t need to be a problem.

Saaamon:
I just stick the keys in a draw and crack on… Really doesn’t need to be a problem.

Exactly, I do the same.

bjd:
This is very true personally i don’t drink so it isn’t an issue my other thoughts are while 2 can maybe won’t put you over the limit what about drinking every night would it have a topping up effect ? and is there much difference say smoking a joint again I DON’T but i find it hypocritical when people who drink slate people who like a smoke . After All they both affect your judgement surely

No, alcohol dissipates in a matter of hours.
Weed sticks in your system for around 3 months.
I know people that have failed company drug tests and only had a social smoke ‘weeks’ before the test.

Anyway, it looks like the general consensus is to stop worrying, don’t take the ■■■■ and be sensible.

Cheers guys :wink:

Kaistar:

Don’t answer it…:slight_smile:

Kaistar:

Knock knock

“Who’s there”

“DVSA we want to check your load”

“I’m drinking, not watching ■■■■” … :grimacing:

NewLad:
I shouldn’t worry mate, chances are you’ll be on 9hrs of daily rest, you’ll park up, get fed, showered and then it will be off to bed after a quick phone call to the other half to get 7 hours sleep before you need to get up a put the kettle on ready for another 15.

There will be none of this leisurely walks to country pubs where you sit and have a beer while waiting for your steak to come to the table then reading a book for a further hour before strolling back to the cab with a takeaway bottle.

Funny you should say that, I’ve just got back to the cab after doing just that. Well, apart from the fact I had steak & ale pie with a cheeky glass of shiraz :slight_smile: And instead of reading a book I’m on the lappie. The job is what you make it :wink: