The blue cafe?

Think the cafe was called the blue rig cafe

marky:

Tagoat:

charlie one:
S’funny, this talk of the old cafes. Anyone remember The Relyon cafe on the A59 Much hoole? (Preston) on the r/a by Caladonian Motors?

Changed into a little chef for years, now a ice cream parlour and a restaurant

The Relyon was further back from the roundabout and it is now Henry Alty’s builders merchants (has been for a number of years)

Nah, that was the Ribblesdale cafe.

I was sat in Dons having dinner one day in the 70’s, when a rat ran across the room, never did go back after that.

The cafe North of the m4 was called the blue peter the pub next door was called the Worlds end ( one of the land ladies there was very accomandating i know this cos i walked in one night and a mate of mine was tatas deep behind the bar ) The cafe at Longton was called the Silent Seventh in the 60/70 ties.

D Dog is right the cafe at Cheively was the Blue Rig and not the Blue Peter as i said last night the owner used to sell Truck bits and pieces flags ,cbs ,ect he used to advertise in the magazines. We used to park over night on there but used to walk up the road to an old farmhouse and stay with an old couple who ran digs. The food was out of this world the old girl always put on a three course meal , homemade soup, roastdinner, and sweet plates piled high,we used to sit in front of a big log fire dozing, till about 9 oclock when the old boy would get up and say come on lads time for the pub. Up we would get walk across the roadto the pub(can,t recall the name) have a few pints then back to the house were the supper was waiting,cold roast beef,ham,cheese and homemade bread. Nomatter what time you started in the morning be it 5,6,7oclock the old girl wouldnt let you leave until you had a full English breakfast ( in winter you started with porrige), many of us used to still stay there even after we had sleeper cabs, leaveing them on the Blue rig but staying at the farmhouse. Happy days!

Does anyone remember this cafe,it was situated about 1 mile north of the m4 just off the a 34 direction oxford.It was next to a pub and it was a real .greasy spoon dump.The pub also did evening meals which were a lot better. The name of the village it was in i cant remember.

was it in the village of Chievley by any chance, if it was I think its now a caravan sales site not sure. :slight_smile:

Thats the one matey,you are spot on there
thanks for the info.
regards dave

Not a problem m8 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Going north on the A34 there was C/B Haulage, then the Langley Hall pub and then the cafe which i thought was called Dons.

The name does ring a bell leslie,could it have been nicknamed the blue cafe after the colour?

regards dave

Spot on, was called Don’s Cafe at Beedon, never heard it called The Blue Cafe, its now an industrial site, C & B Haulage moved to Beedon after cafe closed, they have now closed down, new housing estate is being built on there old yard, now a 7.5t limit for trucks on what used to be the main A34.

blackie:
Spot on, was called Don’s Cafe at Beedon, never heard it called The Blue Cafe, its now an industrial site, C & B Haulage moved to Beedon after cafe closed, they have now closed down, new housing estate is being built on there old yard, now a 7.5t limit for trucks on what used to be the main A34.

C & B have finished? Only a few weeks since I saw one on the A34.

Surely the cafe at Beedon was called The Sunway.Well it was called that when I used to run that way in the late 50s early 60s.Unless the dementia is kicking in.

C & B closed, the son of the B in C & B took on some trucks and calls it GJB, the other owner, the C in C & B kept a couple of the trucks, still in C & B colours, now based in Colthrop Lane Thatcham, :unamused:

charlie one:
Surely the cafe at Beedon was called The Sunway.Well it was called that when I used to run that way in the late 50s early 60s.Unless the dementia is kicking in.

S’funny, this talk of the old cafes. Anyone remember The Relyon cafe on the A59 Much hoole? (Preston) on the r/a by Caladonian Motors?

Tagoat:

charlie one:

The Relyon was further back from the roundabout and it is now Henry Alty’s builders merchants (has been for a number of years)

Marky, where Alty’s is now used to be another transport/coach cafe, (which had accomodation above. ) A family called Orritts used to own that one & if I remember correctly also owned the pig farm behind :laughing: (handy ?) :laughing:

The Relyon was the one further along, right up to the r/a. The bungalow converted to cafe. I think the last owners were Welsh. (Blight’s??)