The Big Question-what would you do?

As mentioned in another thread 2 innocent people died on M62 this morning by an alleged drunk driver on wrong side of the carriageway.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154059
If you saw a car coming towards you on the motorway while you were in a truck would you try and stop him? And how?
Be honest, e.g. would it depend if it was your truck or a company truck? How tight your schedule is? How busy the motorway is( this was at 2.30 a.m.)?

Quite honestly i’d be glad the twerp didn’t decide to run head on into the front of me, and i lived to fight another day, and almost everyone else on the motorway would feel exactly the same.

In the heat of the moment your instinct would be to avoid a crash, the chances of you having time to evaluate a situation and try to somehow stop some idiot are minimal, when you find a stationary vehicle in a live lane there’s barely enough time to think and react, especially in the dark.
Some amateur heroics by a random lorry driver taking it upon themselves to stop a vehicle going the wrong way could actually end up causing much worse results than fate.

Assuming I managed to avoid a crash, it would be straight on the phone to the police shortly followed by a pit stop for a change of underwear.

Wasn’t there a situation, last year I think, maybe 2 years ago, where a drunk EE lorry driver came out the wrong way from an RDC and 2 truck drivers did a pincer manouver to stop him ■■ Brave drivers, they did what they thought would be best for all concerned and probably saved a few lives.

Juddian:
Quite honestly i’d be glad the twerp didn’t decide to run head on into the front of me, and i lived to fight another day, and almost everyone else on the motorway would feel exactly the same.

In the heat of the moment your instinct would be to avoid a crash, the chances of you having time to evaluate a situation and try to somehow stop some idiot are minimal, when you find a stationary vehicle in a live lane there’s barely enough time to think and react, especially in the dark.
Some amateur heroics by a random lorry driver taking it upon themselves to stop a vehicle going the wrong way could actually end up causing much worse results than fate.

Exactly right. :bulb:
Even if you did decide to become ‘‘Supertrucker the righter of wrongs’’ :unamused: ,.you would maybe end up on a manslaughter rap if it all went ■■■■ up,…It aint our job !!
So the same answer applies that I give to threads about self appointed road marshalls…leave it to the Old Bill to sort… :bulb:

You can think about what you’d do in certain events as much as you like but the moment you find yourself in such a situation your brain generally takes over. Often because things happen so fast you don’t have time to consciously think about what to do

Edit: I see Juddian has already said this. As you were.

The chances of being able to keep control of your own vehicle will be practically nil if you deliberately collide with an oncoming vehicle at motorway speed, it just isn’t going to come to a dead stop. There is more chance of it bursting through the central crash barrier or going down the embankment taking however many other innocent vehicles with it.

I’ve had two…

Wrong ways. The first heading south into Newbury before the by-pass was built. An old boy heading the wrong way in the fast lane. Because it’s so unexpected you kinda freeze up. He shot past me and because there was nothing else in my mirrors, he just vanished into the distance.

The second was in Spain between Murcia and Lorca. Before the car appeared, everyone coming the other way was flashing and blowing their horns. That completely focused my attention on the other carriageway and this time, the car shot past me and about half a click further on ploughed into another car.

What happened on the M62 involves an alleged drunk driver, there’s very little you can plan for things like that.

There is no way you’d know the person coming towards you is drunk,so say you purposely ram them and in the process kill them…all caught on camera,then turns out the person coming towards you was an elderly person confused or someone on medication thats effected their ability to think and had joined the motorway incorrectly that you’ve just taken direct action against and killed them,nice long stretch at HMP for you then!!
Best not act the hero,you may end up being the villan.

pierrot 14:
Wasn’t there a situation, last year I think, maybe 2 years ago, where a drunk EE lorry driver came out the wrong way from an RDC and 2 truck drivers did a pincer manouver to stop him ■■ Brave drivers, they did what they thought would be best for all concerned and probably saved a few lives.

I could be wrong but I think that was at relatively slow speeds. Remember seeing the video of it.

Regarding the OP’s question I think, like most seem to think here, keeping out of the way is the best reaction and just hope the driver realises what they are doing.

There was another one of these on the A55 last week, similar circumstances with drunk driver hitting innocent people who thankfully were not seriously injured. I think there has been at least another one, if not 2, already this year on the A55. Seems to be getting more common for some reason ?

To stop them your otions would likely be:

• Headon stop which say both vehicles are doing 40mph, thats an 80mph crash which is almost certainly going to be fatal to the car occupants and pretty dangerous to the truck. That’s before you consider where the debris will fly.

• Sideswipe might work but has to be extremely precisely timed and you need to consider the force of a car hitting a trailer going sideways would cause all sorts of probs. Plus no control where the car goes afterwards. Even for police with loads of training, a closed road, cars going same direction and cars matching speeds etc this is dangerous.

Whatever method you use, someone is going to end up seriously injured or killed and since theres no proof that your actions saved 100s of innocent kitten’s, as said car might have stopped in 50 yards by themselves, then your ■■■■■■.

Only in hollywood does it pay to be a hero.

R.i.p to the two lads died… …TWO men killed in a horror crash on the M62 have been named locally as best friends Adam Afsar and Jason Wilby.
The pair, aged 34 and 27, died in a crash on the M62 near Bradford in the early hours of yesterday morning.
It’s thought Mr Afsar was on his first shift working for Dewsbury comapny Harris Pets Transport, with Mr Wilby accompanying him.
EARLIER STORY: Two dead and one man arrested after car ‘driven wrong way on M62’
The company wrote on Facebook: "Last night we lost 1 of our drivers & his friend in the horrific M62 motorway accident.
“Our deepest condolences to the deceased’s family & friends. This is an extremely difficult time & we pray they rest in peace.”

Magicmikew:
If you saw a car coming towards you on the motorway while you were in a truck would you try and stop him? And how?

Say doing 56 and car coming towards you at 50. That’s a closing speed of 106 mph. I can’t think of any practical way you could stop a vehicle coming towards you. Any at all. At that speed my mind would be to avoid a collision. That would take every inch of my capacity.

There’d be no spare change to judge the closing vehicle needs to be stopped, let alone do it without hurting a lot of people very badly and killing myself.

pierrot 14:

You mean this one

m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkN8aLIpbU

Yep that’s the one, was it really that long ago ?!!

It happened to me once a long time ago. I was heading South on the M1 and took the slip road for the M18, which is quite a long link. The car was on my right as I was in the left lane and he, presumably, thought it was a single track road. I flashed my lights a lot and pulled over onto the hard shoulder. In my mirror I saw him move over to the hard shoulder and then carry on - I guess he did a 180 onto the M1 south and got away with it.

might be wrong but i feel sure that the No Entry signs were much bigger and clearer years ago ? [seem to recall that halfway down the slip there was usually a second set of really big no entry signs }

corij:
might be wrong but i feel sure that the No Entry signs were much bigger and clearer years ago ? [seem to recall that halfway down the slip there was usually a second set of really big no entry signs }

Thing is mate, you can’t make allowances or legislate for stupid, and if someone is ■■■■■■ it wouldn’t matter a ■■■■ how big the signs were.