The big move : Afghanistan

Withdrawal from there with about 6000 shipping containers to be loaded.About 5500 bits of heavy kit like tanks.
All has to be jet washed and sterilised to kill bacteria and insects that could damage agriculture in the UK.
Every nut and bolt to return and what is left will be sold or scrapped localy.
Some kit is coming back overland on trucks.Camp Bastion is the size of Reading.A logistical nightmare.Would you go there to work and help out.?
I am guessing Willi Betz will be the trucking part.
RAF Movements staff will calculate floor loading limitations using formulae and balance the weight for safe flying.Maximum take off weights.Check out the huge Boeing C17 and what it can haul.

A mate of mine worked their as a driver for a bit, despite the dangers he really enjoyed it. He also worked in cosovo for a while, think he enjoyed the danger!

When I was in the army we shipped most of it out to afghan and back to uk from Iraq/Kuwait. Spent days jet washing reefers n moving vehicles down to the ports and putting them on civvy low loaders, that took long enough nevermind bastion lol, I would rather move ours than the yanks have you seen how much stuff they have lol. When we were in Kuwait they had more vehicles than manpower lol

Why don’t they give the work to UK operators?

Smoggie89:
When I was in the army we shipped most of it out to afghan and back to uk from Iraq/Kuwait. Spent days jet washing reefers n moving vehicles down to the ports and putting them on civvy low loaders, that took long enough nevermind bastion lol, I would rather move ours than the yanks have you seen how much stuff they have lol. When we were in Kuwait they had more vehicles than manpower lol

I was on the gate at st georges lines, kuwait (1991) when the americans moved into the place, the convoy was back down the highway as far as you could see. within days they had a flatbed trailer set up as a stage and every Saturday a band from the states would be playing. around the trailer in a horseshoe pattern was portacabins selling tapes, ice cream and pizza added to this, dotted around the camp were burger vans were you could have free burgers and non alcoholic beers…

the brits, we had a landrover come round every 2 weeks that showed 80’s movies :smiley:

limeyphil:

Cheaper to give it to eastern europeans.

wirralpete:

Smoggie89:

I was on the gate at st georges lines, kuwait (1991) when the americans moved into the place, the convoy was back down the highway as far as you could see. within days they had a flatbed trailer set up as a stage and every Saturday a band from the states would be playing. around the trailer in a horseshoe pattern was portacabins selling tapes, ice cream and pizza added to this, dotted around the camp were burger vans were you could have free burgers and non alcoholic beers…

the brits, we had a landrover come round every 2 weeks that showed 80’s movies :smiley:

Haha , we flew into Iraq first and were in the Baghdad support unit was all uk base uk scoff house n tht , then when we went down to Kuwait we were on the yanks camp beuhring , it was like a city in the desert lol , had a big stage with bands from America coming over playing every Saturday was brilliant , all the diff shops Taco Bell , Wendy’s etc… Then we Brits wer stuck up the top with a little container as a naafi shop bit of camnet on poles as shade lmao , us Brits know how to do it , a quiz and a Gatorade was our highlight lol

Smoggie89:

wirralpete:

Smoggie89:

Haha , we flew into Iraq first and were in the Baghdad support unit was all uk base uk scoff house n tht , then when we went down to Kuwait we were on the yanks camp beuhring , it was like a city in the desert lol , had a big stage with bands from America coming over playing every Saturday was brilliant , all the diff shops Taco Bell , Wendy’s etc… Then we Brits wer stuck up the top with a little container as a naafi shop bit of camnet on poles as shade lmao , us Brits know how to do it , a quiz and a Gatorade was our highlight lol

nice to see some things don’t change lol.

Leone was the same. Only on a much smaller scale. For the first 3 weeks we had a ■■■■ house and cook house. Several tents. A few shipping containers and vehicles

Is KBR still out there.Fly to Texas for induction and training.

We went to the yanks camp in arifjan had saunas, swimming pool, Harley Davidson shop oakleys, everything lol ,

I wonder if this is why i keep seeing adverts for HGV drivers for Army/RAF reserves, recently… hmmmm…

Conor:

limeyphil:

Cheaper to give it to eastern europeans.

yeah, haven’t really seen any trains belonging to British Rail in the baltics, usually local trains pulling containers from the ports towards afghanistan…

From the subject, I thought you were going to be moving to Afghanistan. What happened to the last move - your last post and all that because you were going to Russia? Are you there?

grumpybum:
From the subject, I thought you were going to be moving to Afghanistan. What happened to the last move - your last post and all that because you were going to Russia? Are you there?

welcome to tobyworld grumps :slight_smile:

wirralpete:

grumpybum:

welcome to tobyworld grumps :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Got to hand it to the Tobester though - people who really are leaving don’t get two pages of goodbyes! :smiley:

grumpybum:

He gets everywhere when the pills and apple juice kick in!! :laughing: :laughing:

Only joking!!

Imagine the phone call to Pickfords.
“Good morning, can you quote me for two tanks from Kabul to Cattrrick please.
The driver must have a hi viz to protect him from being shot by snipers.Hard hat and Anti IED boots are a must.Send a newbie if possible .”

Kbr lost majority of the logcap contract in afghanistan a few years ago.