The Big Load

Ipswich Docks to Hatfield. Christmas Eve, 1979.

Tone

This any good? Hull 2008…

Glenn R:
This any good? Hull 2008…

You were the driver??

Tone

No no I was just there guv…didn’t see a thing lol

Is that the DAF that caught fire?

bobthedog:

:question: Do tell!

Beetie:

bobthedog:

:question: Do tell!

Not to my knowledge. I came in one Monday morning to find that ‘the boss’ had sold the whole rig for a price he couldn’t refuse. To be fair he paid me for all my personal stuff and tackle that was on it at the time!

He then bought a Leyland Marathon with a big semi. That was the fastest truck I’ve ever driven. Never did find out what it’s top speed was, empty, but it was in the nineties. Long climb up into the cab though!

Tone

Hiya… Now i need a little help with this one, and many of you may have been involved.Do any of you remember that lump of electrical
equipment that went from IICR Tilbury to Brimsdown about 15/18 years ago.it was moved over the weekend and that much went on they
should have made a movie about it.I think there was about 30 lorries involved in the job. some was carrying jacking equipment sleepers
there was lorries carrying forktrucks it all seemed mayhem.IICR as the truck passed the A127 the road was jacked up of the A127 and
again off the Motorway roundabout to take all the weight IICR 300 tons. as the load moved a team jacked up another bridge then the first
team would leap fog that team to be a bridge infront.I was talking to some lads from the job in a cafe and things did go smooth
(the govenment was,nt involved ) Ha Ha can you add to the tale.
John

This lot was going to Cyprus, with a Cypriot driver, c1982. I often wonder whether it made it!

Tone