The Big Driver Shortage Problem in the UK

The driver shortage problem has long been an issue for the UK’s haulage firms. Reports show that there are approximately 80,000 licence holders for Class I and II but they are not all willing to drive; in total figures are leaning towards an industry shortage of over 45,000, and this is a growing concern. The average age of a lorry driver is close to 54 and we are losing more drivers than we can replenish, yet there are enough licence holders out there to supply the industry, but if we can’t persuade them to drive the industry will literally grind to a halt. So what are the main reasons why licence holders are not interested in getting back behind the wheel? I spent a lot of time talking with drivers, the FTA, the RHA, fleet operators to try and find out why and this is what was uncovered:

“Poor pay conditions, whilst there has been a slight improvement in this area the average wage for an HGV driver is £24,700, or less if newly qualified.”

“It is too expensive to become a driver, whilst many companies support their drivers through subsidised training (or in some cases completely cover the cost of their training) the rest fork out anywhere between £3k-£4k, which the driver has to fund.”

“Conditions on the road are not fit for drivers. Many drivers have to live in their Lorries, they are shunned from certain services with “No HGV’s” signs placed at entrances, and the truck stops that are available are often grotty, food is awful and it’s a miserable means to an ends. On the continent there is a difference in culture and mind-set. Services often include accommodation, waiter service and the drivers feel more looked after, as such their visits to the service stations are an enjoyable experience rather than an unpleasant one.”

“Legislation and accountability. Many drivers are put off by red tape and the level of accountability that they are ultimately responsible for.”

“As a newly qualified driver it can be difficult to find work and many companies shun them due to a lack of experience, there seems to be a myth about newly qualified drivers being unsuitable. As such the drivers are more likely re-apply in a few years or so because they know that companies will hire drivers with 2 or 3 years on their licence. The obvious problem being that the last time that driver actually drove an HGV was probably in their examination and their hours of experience is low. In fact they are most likely to pose more of a risk to employers than a freshly qualified driver.”

There are of course many other reasons, but these echo the majority. So how can we fix this industry problem? Firstly the average age is something that needs to be addressed so as to replenish attrition from retired drivers, this is a slow burner but many companies now offer apprenticeships to encourage younger drivers to take up driving and once qualified, a £21k+ salary is quite attractive to youngsters. Furthermore, the companies who are developing these individuals benefit from being able to coach the apprentices through the entire process of learning to drive and so they have greater confidence and trust in their employees. Ex armed forces personnel, there are so many drivers who are currently operating in the armed forces who regularly drive HGV class I and II vehicles, when they are ready to leave the armed forces they have plenty of experience and the advantage of hitting the ground running. Moving forwards we still need to address the infrastructure issues in the UK, this will be key to keeping our drivers happier with life on the road, otherwise these ‘driverless’ HGV testing companies (currently testing in the USA) may indeed solve the shortage crisis for us!

Thanks for reading, please post your comments, opinions and more importantly ANY factors which put you off driving as an occupation which I have not mentioned in this article.

The fact that new ‘inexperienced’ drivers are often discriminated against by employers obviously contradicts the idea of any so called driver ‘shortgage’ or supposed worries about an ageing workforce.

Then you can add to that the issue of the road transport industry being seen as a problem to be removed wherever possible and not an asset,by the government thereby obviously reducing the attraction of the industry.

Driver ‘shortage’ in this case really translating as the employers saying don’t close the door to the free labour market thereby keeping the supply of drivers artificially high.So as to depress wages to compensate for the government’s punitive fuel taxation regime meant to take as many trucks off the road as possible. :unamused:

The ‘‘inexperienced’’ driver problem has always existed.In 1972 i was told by dozens of co’s that,‘‘sorry,we only take people with experience,come back when you have some’’.Only after ‘‘stretching the truth’’ by a company was i given a start.I paid for my own course and test.At the time it was £200 so now that would be comparable.Yes,it was a lot of Money,but it’s a means to an end.When you can start[in 1972] earning between £50-£100 per week then it’s soon paid for,then your on a roll.
Nowadays the biggest ‘‘disincentive’’ has to be the '‘top heavy’'bureaucracy and OTT regulations and restrictions.

If the driver shortage is real (which it aint) why are drivers not among the best paid workers in the country, with good t.s and c.s, instead of among the worst in comparison to most. :bulb:
■■■■■■■■ and propaganda put about by agencies and the like, is the reality.

Something I’ve noticed of late - is a reluctance of C+E licence holders to take a C2 job. They’ll hold out for a C1 job, and there are probably not enough of the better-paid C1 jobs to go around.

Compare that to C2 jobs which are legion darn sarth right now. The imbalance is so bad that there are plenty of places that’ll pay the same hourly rates to C2 drivers as the C1 type.

Winseer:
Something I’ve noticed of late - is a reluctance of C+E licence holders to take a C2 job. They’ll hold out for a C1 job, and there are probably not enough of the better-paid C1 jobs to go around.

Compare that to C2 jobs which are legion darn sarth right now. The imbalance is so bad that there are plenty of places that’ll pay the same hourly rates to C2 drivers as the C1 type.

Class 1. Indicator on, traffic scatters.
Class 2. Indicator on, game of chicken begins.

Class 1. Big cab with a bunk.
Class 2. Tiny cab, and you look like a pervert.

Class 1. Crap money.
Class 2. Worse money.

Class 1. What’s handballing?
Class 2. Get grafting.

Class 1. Nice to drive.
Class 2. Like turning an oil tanker.

Wonder why people prefer CE? :grimacing:

Winseer:

You reckon ■■? :confused: If anything its the otherway round IMO at least where I live. Not much class 2 work and the pay is crap anyway. More class 1 work but the pay aint much better.

I’m getting board of endless “Driver shortage” threads. Like any other job, its effort vs reward that either attracts or repels people. The fact is HGV driving for more and more of the workforce aint worth the effort it requires, so they do something else.

I think the demands put on drivers regarding tip times, OTT legislation and H+S, constant pressure from office bods and general amenities for truckers are more of a pain for me personally. I’m currently agency and have been working in a warehouse for a while, it’s only 50p an hour less than I was getting driving (£10/ Hour class 2) but way less stressful that’s for sure. I imagine quite a few would be truckers do the same.

Once this contract I’m on runs out, I will look for similar work if the moneys around the same figure but at least I have my hgv licence to fall back on if all else fails.

Butting into a conversation, without so much as a hello, never mind an introduction, is very rude. I’d use more robust language, but because this is apparently a family website, that language is frowned upon.

Shortages are going to be local. It’s worth commuting 50 miles for a tramping job, because you’ve only got the one trip there and back each week.
If you’re going home each night, then you don’t want it to be too far to commute.
If the pay is low - you want the workplace to be across the road from where you live!

If the pay is high, you want it to be C1 work - otherwise (as previous posters have suggested…) It’s "Handball this, Steer that like an asteroid, back this on the bay without breaking the posts/doors/load, driver-facing cameras, night shift jobs like dead man’s shoes, and of course - the vacancies are the jobs others don’t want, rather than the work has built up to levels the gaffer cannot get the talent in to handle.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146697 :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

I have a large number of thoughts on the alleged ‘driver shortage’, which by the way is absolute ■■■■■■■■ and is concocted by tin-pot employers and their trade association that think they are somehow entitled to the taxpayers’ dime to hire more lambs to the slaughter that will have the dubious ‘benefit’ of keeping wages down.

But first of all, who are you?

NRL_KL:
The driver shortage problem has long been an issue for the UK’s haulage firms.

Then they have had equally as long to find a solution.

NRL_KL:
in total figures are leaning towards an industry shortage of over 45,000, and this is a growing concern. . . I spent a lot of time talking with drivers, the FTA, the RHA, fleet operators to try and find out why and this is what was uncovered.

Who gave you the figure of 45000 - drivers, FTA, RHA or fleet operators?

hutpik:
The ‘‘inexperienced’’ driver problem has always existed.In 1972 i was told by dozens of co’s that,‘‘sorry,we only take people with experience,come back when you have some’’.
Nowadays the biggest ‘‘disincentive’’ has to be the '‘top heavy’'bureaucracy and OTT regulations and restrictions.

The difference is that in 1972 there were no employers whining about any non existent ‘driver shortage’.Probably because they didn’t have the incentive of trying to maintain an over supplied single labour market based on cheap East Euro labour.

But yes in an ideal world log books and 65 mph motorway speed regime meaning more time at home and potential for unapproved breaks without the guvnor knowing would have stayed in place.But probably not a deal breaker.Unlike new drivers being told that they’re only good enough to drive a 7.5 or 18 tonner on local multi drop/building deliveries if they’re lucky.

First of all…Where is the driver shortage?
Secondly…What is the problem?

As many have said on many occasions, " There is NO driver shortage (thanks in part to a vast amount of cheap foreign drivers). There is a shortage of DECENT employers and CAPABLE drivers (not SWA’s) ".

Only firms that struggle to get drivers are ones paying crap money or offer crap conditions

Olog Hai:
I have a large number of thoughts on the alleged ‘driver shortage’, which by the way is absolute ■■■■■■■■ and is concocted by tin-pot employers and their trade association that think they are somehow entitled to the taxpayers’ dime to hire more lambs to the slaughter that will have the dubious ‘benefit’ of keeping wages down.

youtu.be/PdLIerfXuZ4
I really wanna know. :smiley:

Olog Hai:

I didn’t know Jeremy Kyle was hosting? :smiley:

Anyway, the discussion is meant to be happening here :arrow_right: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146697

The driver shortage is the employers fault. They create the terms and conditions, that entice people to spend money to get a licence, to become a truck driver. The days of drivers growing into the job, by traveling with dad during holidays, are gone. Health and safety ■■■■’s stopped that, aided and abetted by the ‘no, can’t let the driver have some time with his kid on company time’ attitude.
Transport is running on borrowed time. Us knowledgable and capable old timers, won’t be around for ever. And we’re being replaced by aparatchniks, who neither know how, nor want to do this job. In insufficient numbers. Throwing government money at training is only going to create a larger pool of incapable people who hold a licence, but couldn’t, or wouldn’t, be able to do anything other than trunk a shopping trolley.

Problem for you lot is that those of us who are capable, are now at the point in life where we can say ‘■■■■ you. Drive it your self’

Sorry about the rant. I’ve been away from my boat for three days. This 4on-4off rota is not good enough. …