The Bi-i-ig Question?

Watched a programme on TV suggesting that right wing Religous fundamentalists in America were behind the war with Iraq :confused:

Didn’t think that religion held any clout in these ‘enlightened times’ :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Just wondered how many still believe in a God or ‘entity thing’?

16 reads so far… 2 replies on the poll…
Guess that says alot!!! :laughing:

And you’d be surprised what kind of influence religion has in politics in the US… those evangelists have lots of money that they use to lobby congress with… especially in the bible belt area. Just listen to george bush and how many references he makes to God in his speeches. So much for separation of church and state… and so much for equality without regard to religion.
Hypocritical isn’t it■■?

Well one of the two replies to the poll was mine I got side tracked before I could post, I answered ‘No.’

My personal opinion is that 90% of wars are caused by religion. If there were no religion this would be a far safer planet to live on.
I cannot look at the sufering that goes on worldwide, children and other innocents being mutilated by sick, crazy, people and even groups calling them selves freedom fighters. I cannot see the things that paedophiles do to small children or what terrorists do to thousands of inocents world wide, or what US and UK forces do to Iraqis (not taking sides) and truly believe there is a god.
If there is why doesn’t he stop these things happening :question:

My Mother was a devout Christian all her life and sufered appaulling pain and illness most of her life untill one illness killed her over a 3 year very painfull period, during this period she had faith and preyed to her God every day.
I watched her suffer for so long.
I have no religion and have never had any serious illness in my life.

I am not religious and never have been - not even baptised. My sister on the other hand has been baptised and goes to church reguarly. Our perants have never pushed us although they are not religious. It’s a matter of personal choice I think. BTW, I voted No.

Strange that the 3 who have voted no so far have identified themself but the two yes voters haven’t.

I believe what I see! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: it must be with my own eyes as well, (none of this “a friend of a friend met him in the local chippy” rubbish)

And since Jimmy God hasn’t bothered pop into my house for a cup of Tea, I guess I am a non-believer! :smiley: :wink:

PS: Its not my fault I got married in the local church, …the wife insisted on it! :cry: it would have saved me a fortune getting married in a drive through! :wink:

Im a no, I havent voted yet.

Religion is legalised terrorism isnt it?

Where children are frightened into a particular kind of belief because it suits the parents or guardians, or even the government.

I lived in Africa and saw what it does to people! They don’t have any regard to the law, or other peoples property.

The ones who are caught by the police will only be punished by God :confused: :confused: The police are frightened to take things any further because they believe the same crap.

Religious indoctrination. I dont remember ever having a choice at school.

Kate Hasler:
Just listen to george bush and how many references he makes to God in his speeches. So much for separation of church and state… and so much for equality without regard to religion.
Hypocritical isn’t it■■?

Is that part of the constitution?
In the UK the Queen is head of state and church, this has been the case since Henry the eighth founded the Church of England. :confused:

Church and state throughout history have been linked, since Constantine founded the Church of Rome,… then Oliver Cromwell banned Christmas as a heathen festival.

What I think is hypocritcal is that they preach peace then start wars??!! What’s that all about mo’ fo’s. (mo fo = moronic fool) :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
My personal opinion is that 90% of wars are caused by religion. If there were no religion this would be a far safer planet to live on.
I cannot look at the sufering that goes on worldwide, children and other innocents being mutilated by sick, crazy, people and even groups calling them selves freedom fighters. I cannot see the things that paedophiles do to small children or what terrorists do to thousands of inocents world wide, or what US and UK forces do to Iraqis (not taking sides) and truly believe there is a god.
If there is why doesn’t he stop these things happening?

Thought about these things myself.
First point unscrupulous people will use any excuse to scam you and control people, religion as been a good tool for that.
eg.
The Inquisitions
The Crusades
TV evangelists
Give money guilt trip s’ (s’=slaver) :laughing:

But is also a force for good, but do people really need it to help one another?

Did Jesus intiate ‘organised religion’? :confused:

If you don’t believe in God why have Christmas? :confused:

I never really thought about it either way undecided I think. :sunglasses:

But when I watched the programme I couldn’t accept that todays world leaders could be influenced by religous leaders. I thought that finished ages ago■■? :open_mouth:

I like to see more votes please. Undecided also = couldn’t give a fig. :smiling_imp:

TC:
I believe what I see!

Can you see the wind, electricity, radiation, heat and most energy forces.

You can see a spiders web who designed it, - the spider■■? :confused:

wheel Nut:
Religion is legalised terrorism isnt it?

It used to be, do as we say , the pope is infallable, you’re going to hell to be tortured for eternity :smiling_imp: even though you only bonked the next doors neighbours wife once for a hour. :sunglasses:

Or do you mean Voodoo religion
:astonished:

NO! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Separation of Church and State is one of the major foundations of the American Government. You cannot effectively have freedom of religion in a nation that endorses one particular faith. The American government, as per the constitution, cannot support, endorse, or consider religion in any aspect while creating or maintaining laws and policies. This creates alot of hypocritical situations… Christian holidays are nationally and officially recognized… Jewish holidays, Muslim holidays, Buddhist holidays are not. That, to me, is a violation of the freedom of religion ammendment.

I’ve read Patricks post… and not to start a domestic dispute on trucknet, he goes back and forth. I don’t think its that he doesn’t believe in God, I think its that he blames him for the terrible things that happen in the world, and mostly, as you could probably tell, the horrible death that his mother suffered. I have seen him pray when terrible things have happened in our family, and he did, afterall, just have his daughter baptised in the Northampton Cathedral. Though I will admit, that for both of us, it was more about family tradition than it was religion.

Men do have free will… and many of them use religion to satisfy their own greed or to fulfill their own agenda. You cannot blame God for fact that some people are exploitive. I don’t think the question should really be how many believe in God… I think the real question is… who actually has faith in any organized religion? The religious leaders driver nicer cars, have nicer homes, make more money than most of their parishioners. They stand at the door with their donation basket as you walk in… but where are they when you’ve had an illness and can’t pay your mortgage or feed your kids■■? Praying for you?

I think mortal sin is a ridiculous and imaginary notion…doubt very highly that God created the earth in 6 days, find it impossible to believe that anyone could part the sea… or walk on water, … and I think Heaven and Hell are just some imaginary places that leaders thought up to manipulate their followers into behaving in the desired fashion. The 10 commandments can be summed up quite nicely by following the golden rule… it pretty much covers it all. Man wrote the bible… not God… man organized religion, not God,… man exploits what they’ve created in the name of God.

However, One of the yes votes was me… I believe in God… I do NOT believe in religion, do NOT have any faith in religious leaders, and do not trust anyone who starts, participates in, or condones war in the name of God… thats total hypocrisy. God and religion (as we know it) have nothing to do with each other… just my opinion.

Shows you the power of belief domestic dispute. :open_mouth: oops :wink:

While there are people who ‘believe’ there is an individual waiting to lead them, to get them to give up their money or something more sinister like kill or start wars.

Are these ‘right wingers’ religous at all, or just using bible belt votes (what is the bible belt by the way?) to put pressure / influence on political leaders?

If you believe in God you can believe in miracles?

I’m open minded about most things, didn’t give it much thought 'till I watched the programme. I’ve always thought of the ‘extra’ things outside the physical things we can’t yet understand just wondered how many believe in an actual God.

Quantum theory and string theory actually put weight behind the existence of a seperate dimension or another person inside our consciousness. A soul if you like. Now thats science! (It’s a space time continuum thing)

Also there may be other dimensions up to ten in the universe possibly containing other beings or entities the paranormal, spirits, ghosts or ancestors, demons, extra terrestrials and of course God. Mathmatically possible but still only theory.

Then again so is the theory of evolution.

Did our ancestors just invent ‘God’ to explain such things.

Obviously there is only one truth. Another spliff and I may find it :wink: :slight_smile: :laughing:

Winston Churchill said people can find the truth but stumble over it and carry on as if they’d never seen it.

It appears that we have a spiritual side to us an energy or something we can tap into for extra strength like tai chi, meditation, praying or the sixth sence?

I’m intrigued by such things but God? What’s his purpose?! :confused:

PS I havn’t been in a church since my ‘christening’ may have been one christmas on a school trip, can’t remember. Got married in the registry office.

i said yes,not for god for the something !!! we are not alone ■■

That book of stories called the Bible, the Koran and other religious publications tell us not to kill, but people kill in the name of God, the name of Alah etc. Muslim extreemists really believe that after commiting atrocities they will sit at the right hand of Alah and have 47 virgins for each of them, this just shows how stupid some people can be, if there was such a God I think he would be very opposed to issuing 47 nubile virgins to a mass murderer.

It’s the same the world over, … Catholics fight Protestants, Muslims fight Jews, christians & any other religion.
How can people really belive in such ancient fairy stories that have mostly been disproved by modern science ?

On a lighter note:

on a sign outside St Michaels

Whats Missing?

CH CH

UR :stuck_out_tongue:

No it just can’t be there is too much pain and sorrow in the world

I voted yes although not a devoted churchgoer i believe there must have been a MAN out there one day to have produced so much beauty and wonder.:wink:

I am christened and both my children are christened,i do not neccesseraly (spelling?) believe in God as such but i do believe in something somewhere.

Having read a book by a guy called Erich Von Daniken daniken.com/e/index.html as a teenager i questioned religion and found no answers, however i am a guy who believes seeing is believing but i dont expect to see God, religion is about Faith, Hope and Charity thats why my daughter is called Hope, i just Hope one day someone will know the answer`s.

I DON`T know the answers but i voted yes as there must have been someone or something , somewhere which started this Earth off and left us to see to its demise.

If you are a non believer or are just not sure i would recommend reading Chariots of the Gods its a great read and basically rips the Bible to pieces and questions it A lot, but i suppose there are times when “you have to believe in something `cos if you dont believe in something then you dont believe in anything”. Thats a quote from a song i dont know which one but i like it might be John Cougar Mellencamp.

It probably doesnt make sense what i said but im sure you get the jist.

If you want a pathetic lookout to why the earth is here and how it started read this idiot`s guide rael.org/english/index.html the man who met the spacemen in a field one day!!!/.

I had a look at that ‘Ralien’ stuff. I can’t judge or condemn but…
Quote-
‘Members can terminate membership anytime simply by omitting to send in their yearly subscription, or if they wish to leave before the end of the year, simply by sending written notice.’

If it costs to be a member somebody is on the make :unamused:
I don’t care what they say :exclamation:

Why are people so gullible :question: :exclamation:

I think I read that chariot book, was that with the aztek pictures of guys in boats that flew?

Voted yes and the only person I have to explain that to is the big man up the stairs.

To me it is a very personal choice, not to be taken lightly.

Colingl:
Voted yes and the only person I have to explain that to is the big man up the stairs.

To me it is a very personal choice, not to be taken lightly.

C’mon Col reasons for■■?

Why is it a ‘personal choice’ there must be reasons. I’m open minded.

I ask people what convinced them we evolved they don’t know. Just say there can’t be a God.

Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein said there must be some intelligence behind the maths and design of the Universe but does that mean theres a God or a ‘man upstairs’?

Quetions asked . If we evolved how did an eye know sight was possible when it was only half evolved. An auto focussing lense that ,with two, enables you to see in 3D; how was it that, mother nature knew that we needed two eyes as well?

Who designed the spiders web?
How did it just happen to have the strongest thread for it’s web?

OK theres a creator, but who is God.

Some character ‘made up’ so someone can say “I’m His represantative if you don’t go kill or whatever you won’t go to heaven”

If there is a God what does he really want from us■■? :confused: