The best jobs aren't advertised!

A few weeks ago I was invited to apply for a job. 43k salary per year, three or four nights per week alternating, permanent weekends night trunking, trailer drop and swap mainly. I know most of the runs and they’re mainly ten hours or there abouts.

Was very tempted.

I asked one of my colleagues about it and they didn’t know a thing, which is odd seeing as they’re one of the best known employers around here.

So are you going for it then?

That’s exactly the sort of job I’m looking for. The icing on the cake would be the availability of overtime on otherwise “rest days” on top, subject to banked hours of course! :slight_smile:

I prefer permanent nights. I don’t mind working across the weekend, providing it’s 3-4 shifts max. The salary is satisfactory. The holiday pay will be based upon the basic duty rota, which is good already for me. I presumably woudn’t be ■■■■■■ about being moved from one job to another every five minutes, so I cannot settle into a routine and make the job my own.

“Not in my area” though, I’m going to guess. :frowning:

I wouldn’t get out of bed for that anymore. I was earning that 20 years ago.

On rigids.

the nodding donkey:

On *rigids.

*rigid trucks

Captain Caveman 76:
A few weeks ago I was invited to apply for a job. 43k salary per year, three or four nights per week alternating, permanent weekends night trunking, trailer drop and swap mainly. I know most of the runs and they’re mainly ten hours or there abouts.

Howdens? I keep getting texts and phone calls from my old agency asking if I’ll go, so does my lad. Think they’ve gone onto 7 days a week and can’t find drivers. Saw rental units and a subbie dragging trailers down the A1 on Wednesday night.

First rule of jobs like these is keep schtum, don’t mention to anyone else about it until you’ve secured said job for yourself, if you want it.

Go and see ‘the man’ soon as you can, today if poss, these jobs don’t come up very often at all and it sounds like a guardian angel has suggested you might be suitable chap, well done you’re half way in already.

My experience of the better job is that the employer wants people who are at the very least enthusiastic and put some effort into landing the job, makes sense if you think about it, if you aint too bothered whether you get the job or not what does that say about an attitude further down the line :bulb:

Where i work i’ve seen applicants overlooked who weren’t hungry enough to land the job in the first place, when i got the invite to submit a CV (you won’t get a job here without one) i shot off home brought mine up to date and drove back that evening so it was sitting on the TM’s desk first thing next morning (note to self, always have a CV with you when speaking to a potential, impress them), within 3 weeks i was in.

Good luck CC.

Juddian:
First rule of jobs like these is keep schtum, don’t mention to anyone else about it until you’ve secured said job for yourself, if you want it.

Go and see ‘the man’ soon as you can, today if poss, these jobs don’t come up very often at all and it sounds like a guardian angel has suggested you might be suitable chap, well done you’re half way in already.

My experience of the better job is that the employer wants people who are at the very least enthusiastic and put some effort into landing the job, makes sense if you think about it, if you aint too bothered whether you get the job or not what does that say about an attitude further down the line :bulb:

Where i work i’ve seen applicants overlooked who weren’t hungry enough to land the job in the first place, when i got the invite to submit a CV (you won’t get a job here without one) i shot off home brought mine up to date and drove back that evening so it was sitting on the TM’s desk first thing next morning (note to self, always have a CV with you when speaking to a potential, impress them), within 3 weeks i was in.

Good luck CC.

Advice like this can and does win jobs whilst at the same time can well be life changing.

the nodding donkey:

On rigids.

+1
me too.cash in hand when i was doing the double on the dole :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

the nodding donkey:

On rigids.

+1
me too.cash in hand when i was doing the double on the dole :slight_smile:

Me three.
I was on a Sprinter, also on the dole plus free use of the van and fuel, so I did house removals, and fly tipping garden waste, and had the front panelled off for the cannabis farm…

Allegedly…

UKtramp:

the nodding donkey:

On *rigids.

*rigid trucks

Were you on the Rail?
Twenty years ago trucks ran on rails, and lorries ran on the roads. Outside of the USA anyway. Feel free to argue, it`s a Friday eve.