The Bah Humbug Club!

NO.NO. NO go away please we don’t need a reminder, wont be happening this year all the reindeer got foot & mouth, Buzzer.

tyneside:
Took this photo on Nov 1st this year, it’s the main entrance to Eldon Sq. shopping Cntr in Newcastle. Take a good look at the clock, as if we needed reminding.
Tyneside

Thought this was further south then realised I have not been into town for a long time

Have heard about Fenwick window & know they are playing Christmas songs already & I have no intentions of going in wish it was January so all this could be over

Christmas decorations up, an inflateable santa and carols were playing in a pub we visited recently, it really got Mrs W and myself into the christmas spirit! :unamused: Mentioned it to the barmaid; “We only took the sodding halloween stuff down last week” she said.

Pete.

Ye gods , it’s that time again already . So the panic buying of assorted tat / presents is upon us . In true bah humbug spirit I’ve told the sprogs and grandsprogs they are getting a card this year as they all have good jobs and seeing as I’m only a distressed pensioner they can do the buying for us . I might condescend to accept donations of free beer from the granddaughter just to dull the pain of the season , pity we don’t get money back on the bottles any more though .

I’ll be OK at the sprog’s this year: After several (well, dozens, actually!) years of my being accused of “inappropriate comments” following the consumption of just one or two glasses of fermented apple juice, the son-in-law comes out with the most outrageous rants about the female members of the family. The sprog now thinks that I’m the best thing since Mother’s Pride, while himself remains under the gaze of the entire female contingent. Happy days! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I’ll be OK at the sprog’s this year: After several (well, dozens, actually!) years of my being accused of “inappropriate comments” following the consumption of just one or two glasses of fermented apple juice, the son-in-law comes out with the most outrageous rants about the female members of the family. The sprog now thinks that I’m the best thing since Mother’s Pride, while himself remains under the gaze of the entire female contingent. Happy days! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s it ,bloody typical . Clear off to the sprog’s on the cheap and leave us poor deprived pensioners to our own devices . I suppose we’ll have to try the local food bank again and see if they have any scraps to spare . The pigeons in our garden are starting to look very appetising . Roll on 2019 .

windrush:
Christmas decorations up, an inflateable santa and carols were playing in a pub we visited recently, it really got Mrs W and myself into the christmas spirit! :unamused: Mentioned it to the barmaid; “We only took the sodding halloween stuff down last week” she said.

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

windrush:

grumpy old man:
Well that turned out to be somewhat disappointing. 8.5 hours in A&E Christmas eve to receive the news when I finally got out…'irregular heartbeat
Our NHS is second to none, I had ALL the tests (3 times, ECG, blood tests, chest X ray, etc, everything) All the staff were pleasant and cheerful. They finally allowed me out at 19:30

Had irregular heartbeat for several years now, statins and rivaroxaban were prescribed. Not really a problem, regular blood tests etc and they still granted me my LGV licence with it.

Anyway must get back to my kitchen, the sprouts are boiling over!

Pete.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but these posts just caught my eye. Now I’m an old hand on the heart attack job, had 4 now over last 12 years. Last one in May of this year, last 2 been quite mild affairs, in fact I took 2 or 3 days to realise it might be another. Every time involved a trip to Southampton or Portsmouth to have stents inserted, then sent back home, our little hospital here on the island is great, but we are shipped out for bigger ops etc.

Anyway, about a month ago I fell off our back garden steps while carrying my 3 year old, sleeping, grandson. I was on second from bottom, so not far to fall, but to protect him I dropped to my knees. however the momentum carried me forward on to my elbow & hit a garden chair, which jumped forward a foot & smashed into the table, but I think it may have broken my fall a bit. Nipper seemed to have escaped unharmed & I didn’t feel too bad, a few scrapes & bangs, so popped to GP’s for check up. they sent me to A&E for X.Ray on left knee as might be fracture, which proved negative.

Right knee was scraped off & bleeding, but they said to just wash off & leave it uncovered, same with elbows (new policy) go home & rest for a week with legs raised. So quite pleased to have survived it quite lightly, though I could hardly walk by now, but mainly, with no harm to my lovely boy. About a week later I started getting swelling in right leg, together with rash like symptoms, so off to Docs again. She prescribed antibiotics for infection, but took a blood test to check for DVT. This showed a 50% possibility, so sent me to hospital for another blood test, & on the way rang to say they could scan my leg 2 hours later! cant fault that for service ay. The scan was negative, but they said I would need to have a second one a week later. So a worrying week long wait, but that scan was also negative & swelling all gone, so onwards & upwards.

Move on a week & I have driven my wife daughter & grandson to town for shopping trip, which I am not into, well not for more than an hour, so I have returned to the car for a doze. Next thing I am finding it difficult to breathe, well I’m breathing quite deeply, but not getting any air in, so I open the door & swing my feet out, sitting sideways on the seat. Then I’m thinking, what am doing here on the ground & have a vague recollection of banging my knees & elbows again. I scrawl up on to the seat again & sit there, sweating like a pig (no offence) & wondering if I’m dreaming! Just then the shoppers arrived back & my daughter drove me the half mile to hospital. Now my last 3 heart attacks have never showed on the ECG, but this time it was showing what they called AF (atrial fibrillation.) On my usual medication my heart beat is about 56pm but these readings are fluctuating to well over 100. The doc decided to keep me in & do another blood test at 1.00am, to check if I have had another heart attack, but at 10.00pm, with a shift change, a new Doc said she was confident it was AF & I could be prescribed blood thinning tablets & be checked out in a couple of weeks, as this condition can cause blood clots.

Now, her indoors wasn’t having any of this & was insisting I was admitted to the Cardiac Unit for blood test & to see a Cardiac consultant in the morning. The young Doc would not relent, but in the end did agree to let us wait for a blood test at 1.00am, which she said, was negative & we should go home at 3.00am & she would advice my GP. Our GP is very good & I was able to book a telephone appointment that day & she organised the blood thinning medication needed. She said she would contact the Cardiac consultant about my case & regarding my previous history & would be in touch when she has a reply. Since coming home my pulse seems fairly normal, from what I can tell, but I’m no expert. I pretty much take the heart attacks in my stride now, but with this lark, I must admit, I’m [zb]ing myself, with the threat of either blood clots or the other way, internal bleeding through the medication. So my question is, is this the same thing you are talking about. Any information would be appreciated, which you can PM me with to save blocking this thread.

To comment back on track, when I was running the wagons, I did quite like Christmas, as we finished on Christmas eve through to after New Year, except for one run to Scotland, which my foreman driver looked after every year. Now though I’m not so keen, but still it’s not really Christmas, but the run up to it, as her indoors insists on visiting friends & relatives on the mainland, a week or two before & it’s either snowing or bloody freezing cold. So does that qualify me as a member of the club? I have got the hat!

I am wishing you well George, you are a hardy old bugger just like your old man Bert who I worked with on “Dealers” 55 years ago, aye it was 1963.
Cheers
Eddie
ps as for christmas…January can’t come soon enough :laughing:

■■■■■■■■ to the Bah Humbub lot, Merry Xmas to all & sundrie from L.S.Dunbar & Son Transport Ponteland, Now retired of course, So I will drink your good health with a very very large Glenmorangie, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
■■■■■■■■ to the Bah Humbub lot, Merry Xmas to all & sundrie from L.S.Dunbar & Son Transport Ponteland, Now retired of course, So I will drink your good health with a very very large Glenmorangie, Regards Larry.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

pete smith:

kevmac47:
The good old Bah Humbug Club, I love it!! R.I.P. Dave the Renegade, your legacy lives on.
I was blackballed for membership cos I admitted I love Christmas Day with the grandkids, who I have a tussle with every year for “my chair”. It’s even better this year were not cooking the lunch, the cheeky sprogs think it getting too much for their sainted mother :unamused: :unamused: ( I’m the bloody gopher and dogsbody !!) so it’s off to the wilds of Durham, to the daughters new ranch for the day. We’ve even had a menu through the post :unamused: pretentious or what■■? :wink: :wink: regards Kev.

Morning Kev,
You are on very thin ice to admitting you like Christmas day!
As it was Patrick who has re-opened Daves wonderful thread, he is the judge and jury!

Ooh the pressure Pete! I can’t be judge and jury, who of this bunch of very experienced gents (you see how I didn’t use grumpy old gits… ooh hang on…) is going to take my word, after all I’m only a whippersnapper, wet behind the ears, don’t know I’m born etc… :unamused: :laughing:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…

Right ! To start with PV83 you are banned off here for posting that last obscene picture , it left me in a state of shock and distress . I can’t stand too many shocks like that at my age . Now the good news , the wife is now type 2 diabetic so all the biscuits and sweets amassed for the break have got to go , she’s giving them all away to the nephews and nieces so that’s me out of pocket and xmas without sweet things . Can’t go to the sprog’s for Xmas dinner , she not allowed rich food on her diet , so it looks like low sugar beans on toast for Xmas dinner . Merry Bloody Christmas indeed .

Our neighbours hairdresser breezed in this morning to do her ‘feathers’ and regaled us with how she managed to get a Christmas tree on Saturday (artificial as she has just had a new carpet costing well over a grand, spent another grand having a decorater refurbish the lounge using ten rolls of wallpaper at £70 a roll which she supplied) and it only cost her £260! :open_mouth: “It was a bargain, wont need to buy one next years so it has actually saved us money” she exclaimed, yeah right. :unamused: She is off to London (Oxford Street) next weekend to get the pressies. Mind you, she does live fairly close to Buxton where money appears to be plentiful, unlike in the more southern parts of our fine county. :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
Our neighbours hairdresser breezed in this morning to do her ‘feathers’ and regaled us with how she managed to get a Christmas tree on Saturday (artificial as she has just had a new carpet costing well over a grand, spent another grand having a decorater refurbish the lounge using ten rolls of wallpaper at £70 a roll which she supplied) and it only cost her £260! :open_mouth: “It was a bargain, wont need to buy one next years so it has actually saved us money” she exclaimed, yeah right. :unamused: She is off to London (Oxford Street) next weekend to get the pressies. Mind you, she does live fairly close to Buxton where money appears to be plentiful, unlike in the more southern parts of our fine county. :laughing:

Pete.

MONEY PLENTIFUL ? We poor pensioners up here spend it all trying to keep warm in winter unlike you lot in the sub tropical climes down in the valley . If we have a cold snap we will probably have to set fire to the furniture in an effort to keep warm . Can’t afford to keep running the central heating what with the price of gas . Right , I’ll go and get a few scraps for tea then wrap up in my duvet in bed .

Mmm, not often that you see ‘poor’ and ‘pensioner’ written in the same sentence Dave, not sure I believe you with all that money rolling in from the various pension schemes of the many hauliers you drove for! :laughing: I only have three, but one of those is supplied by our very generous government. :wink:

Pete.

I just love sitting here in Spain in the lovely sunshine listening to you two b*****s!

Keep up the good work chaps.

Steve

PS When I pop down to the Christmas Shop in Torrevieja I will take some photos for you!

Dave the Renegade:

Jacob Marley has come to cheer Scrooge up. :laughing:

When I was selling All of a sudden customers used to come and visit at this time of year and quite a few who worked for local authorities who weren’t allowed to recieve Christmas Cheer.Although we did a good trade in callenders.We used to take some of our customers a bottle but I was sorry that some of them seemed to be " on holiday" I really miss that now I’m retired !!