The B4696

Evening all. Setting off on Sunday this week to tip on a farm at Wooten Bassett first thing Monday morning. I’m travelling from Driffield, E Yorks in a 44t bulker. The route my sat nav has chucked up is M5 onto the A419!to South Cerney and then the B4696 down to Wooten Bassett. Is this road suitable for Hgv or would it be advisable to take a different route?

Cheers
Matt.

Nah mate, good little road that.

Used to run from Shorncote quarry near South Cerney down to Compton Bassett all the time.

A little snug going round Ashton Keynes but that’s about your lot.

Have a nice trip,.

Lots of gravel extraction in that area in the past - used to lots of HGVs.

el_presidente:
Lots of gravel extraction in that area in the past - used to lots of HGVs.

Correct, area known as “the Cotswold Water Park” a shorter, posher term for “old gravel pits formerly dug by Hills, Cullimores, Roger Constants and Ameys.” I think all the other roads in the area have weight limits. Normally I come off the A419 at Latton and use the Spine Road (you go past an old railway bridge) down to the crossroads where there is North End brickworks. I think you then turn left for WB.

Bacon Sandwich:
Nah mate, good little road that.

Used to run from Shorncote quarry near South Cerney down to Compton Bassett all the time.

A little snug going round Ashton Keynes but that’s about your lot.

Have a nice trip,.

Cheers for that. Used to just come down to chievely and then across to Swindon when in a van but didn’t realise how far round that was till I looked at map. Going down M5 means I’ll miss the Silverstone traffic on M40/A34. Presume there’s no weight limits on it then?!

Matt.

That area is riddled with quarries, it probably has the largest concentration of HGV’s in the area!

There some 7.5t limits off the main drag, but that road is fine all the way to WB from the A419.
As sais, a few tight corners near Ashton Keynes, but apart from that, its all good.

Just to be pedantic… Its now ‘Royal Wooten Bassett’.
Taxi!

fredthered:
Taxi!

To be even more pedantic, it’s actually Royal Wootton Bassett. :wink:

109LWB:

fredthered:
Taxi!

THeek LAuRie DriVVers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

109LWB:

fredthered:
Taxi!

To be even more pedantic there is only one “t” in Wooton. :wink: :wink:

the maoster:

109LWB:

fredthered:
Taxi!

Err, no there isn’t.

royalwoottonbassett.gov.uk/

xfmatt:
Presume there’s no weight limits on it then?!

There are no weight limits or low bridges along your route.

However, depending where the farm is and your next destination, there is a temporary weight restriction on the B4069 from Lyneham to Chippenham. This road brings you out by the Chippenham truck stop and the M4 and was a superb short cut. But the road has suffered from terrible subsidence so nothing over 18 tonnes GVW can go down there at the moment.

I’ll give you that one 109lwb, I was totally wrong. :blush: still looks bloody odd when spelt correctly though.

Noted! :wink:

I had the misfortune of getting stuck in “Royal” Wootton Bassett (it wasn’t royal then come to think of it) just before a repatriation. It was such a moving experience, uniform rows of people, Lidl carrier bags and phones ready to take pictures. Others chatting and laughing, “'vin a ■■■!” hoping they’d get themselves on television dolled up in the latest Burberry garb from Swindon outlet village.
Actually it wasn’t the experience that was moving, it was my lorry as I was desperate to get out of the ■■■■ hole. Bad enough for the relatives of the deceased but to then be driven through Wootton Bassett is just too much.

109LWB:

the maoster:

109LWB:

fredthered:
Taxi!

Err, no there isn’t.

royalwoottonbassett.gov.uk/

■■■■■■■ signwriters. :wink:

Latton now has s weight limit so Southbound traffic has to carry on down the A419 to Cricklade junction and come back up.