The Atkinson 'View-Line'

DEANB:
One Paul Gee took.
Can i share this picture of the BRS wrecker as helped to build it and it is myself driving it

240 Gardner:

Might the Guy Invincible cab have been designed along the same lines at an earlier date albeit not as high or roomy but the idea was similar ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Might the Guy Invincible cab have been designed along the same lines at an earlier date albeit not as high or roomy but the idea was similar ? Cheers Dennis.

Hmmmm I don’t really think so, Dennis - as you say, neither high nor roomy!

To emphasis the difference compared to contemporary vehicles, here’s a line-up from your favourite operator!!

This one was in a magazine !

Here’s one I found on the web for sale at a east coast classic truck dealer :open_mouth: :smiley: ,

A spare cab I brought home - it came off ex-Pickfords WGC 625G after its owners couldn’t find a replacement centre screen, and so fitted a Mk.2 cab instead

EthelWGC625Gcabsmall.jpg

How many of these Walton-le-Dale beasts are still in “captivity” Chris ? Cheers Dennis.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgRecovering the remains of LXG 594G from the river Mersey around 1979/80 ish.

Eddie Heaton:
0123Recovering the remains of LXG 594G from the river Mersey around 1979/80 ish.

Thanks for posting those, Eddie - I’ve seem some of them before, but I don’t think I knew the reg - it was new to ICI, and I have a photo. Somewhere…

Bewick:
How many of these Walton-le-Dale beasts are still in “captivity” Chris ? Cheers Dennis.

Several, Dennis, in various states. BVB 457H was the first to be restored, I think, finished in 1991, plus AMH 540H was restored back into its original Pickord’s livery, albeit with rather different running gear. WAN 183G, ex-RTITB, is now masquerading as a Pickford’s ballast tractor.

There’s the ex-Barrratt unit, WWT 909G, fully restored, and also ex-Pickford’s units WGC 625G (with a Mk.2 cab) and WYO 314H (currently for sale as a chassis cab) and WYO 309H last heard of under restoration. Pickford’s EMD 516J was in one piece a year or two ago. The Graham Adams unit, minus its second steer, is owned by a gentleman who also has an ex-ICI tractor, whilst there are examples at a secret location on the Welsh border and at Rush Green.

So, not many, but four are up, running and rallying, whilst WYO 314H seems to be almost there, with its new coat pf paint.

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

Several, Dennis, in various states. BVB 457H was the first to be restored, I think, finished in 1991, plus AMH 540H was restored back into its original Pickord’s livery, albeit with rather different running gear. WAN 183G, ex-RTITB, is now masquerading as a Pickford’s ballast tractor.

There’s the ex-Barrratt unit, WWT 909G, fully restored, and also ex-Pickford’s units WGC 625G (with a Mk.2 cab) and WYO 314H (currently for sale as a chassis cab) and WYO 309H last heard of under restoration. Pickford’s EMD 516J was in one piece a year or two ago. The Graham Adams unit, minus its second steer, is owned by a gentleman who also has an ex-ICI tractor, whilst there are examples at a secret location on the Welsh border and at Rush Green.

So, not many, but four are up, running and rallying, whilst WYO 314H seems to be almost there, with its new coat pf paint.

Thanks for the info Chris ! about as rare as “hens teeth” then ! Cheers Dennis.

ICI-001.jpgOne for the thread Chris and have had a play with that shot of yours below :smiley:

Heres another one Chris.

steelboyf10:
Here’s one I found on the web for sale at a east coast classic truck dealer :open_mouth: :smiley: ,

Yep, that’s WYO 314H

And here in earlier times:

Q757 WDT (previously WYO 314H) - Atkinson Viewline 6 x 4 “Venturer” - EX Pickfords by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

moomooland:
1One for the thread Chris and have had a play with that shot of yours below :smiley:

Thank you Paul! That’s 592G

DEANB:
Heres another one Chris.

Thanks Dean - that’s another survivor, although it’s lost its second steer and, I think, its original gearbox

Mike Ponsonby:
that’s me trying to figure out how to get out of the bloody thing

quote=“240 Gardner”]

Mike Ponsonby:
Our good friend john goodreid Atkinson gathering 1990

dad took this up and john took his 8 wheeler tanker

RIP

And another shot the same day, with half a View-Line next to it!

The driver is the late Pete Davison, aka ‘Atkiman’, and John’s Defender is in the background

BelleVue1990 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

[/quote]
and this is my dad , trying to climb into the same bloody thing at RTITB high ercall.

tonyj105:
and this is my dad , trying to climb into the same bloody thing at RTITB high ercall.

Yep, wrong foot!! :laughing:

I see that that was in its white radiator grill phase…

Not surprised he got it wrong, his fleet was mostly d series and tk’s, with a scania 80 , aec mercury and a couple of big j’s thrown in. Atkinson didn’t feature till 1979 , and i drove that, he struggled to get in that as well
Tony